MG-Rover.org Forums banner

ZS 180 - Not Slowing Down !!

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Dr Dave 
#1 ·
Hi all

Thought you'd be interested in a little problem I've been having with my ZS 180. Basically it doesn't want to slow down when lifting off the loud pedal. The revs stay up at whatever speed they were and gradually decrease after about five seconds, or longer sometimes. I went about a mile the other day before it decided to slow down. It's nice to find I have cruise control fitted free of charge but a bit disconcerting on crowded motorways. It's being looked at now, for the second time in a week. First time it came out worse than it went in. The garage (Evans Halshaw, Reading) say they haven't got a clue what's causing it. I think they just haven't bothered to look very hard. I remember an MG Maestro Efi I had back in the 80s did a similar thing so they should have some idea how these things work by now. I've got one of their loan cars now so they should have a bigger incentive to get it fixed and returned to me asap.

I'll keep you posted. Great car otherwise.

Cliff:D =P

#4 ·
Already checked the mechanical stuff before I bothered the garage. The throttle pedal returns ok, the linkage at the throttle body is moving freely, the carpet's not in the way, etc. I reckon it's a fuel/air mixture or electronic sensor problem. There's a mention of something similar on the MG Owners Club site where a road test of the ZT makes reference to an earlier test of the ZS. Apparently the ZS they tested suffered from a surging throttle response. Could be caused by the same (unheard of !)problem mine's now got.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.