MG-Rover.org Forums banner

DIY hydrolastic pump..

13K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  MGFmad 
#1 ·
Has anyone had a go at building this and using it?

#2 ·
Despite years of meeting German-language Rover and MG fans, can't say I've met Dieter Koennecke before http://www.lame-delegation.de/mgf-net.de/index.htm http://www.mgboard.de/ . So I have not heard whether his ideas work.

Would I be right in thinking the mod is aimed at the MGF so belongs in that section? Maybe you'll get some help there (i.e. dear mods please move this :dddc: :lol: )

Mind you, surely his car's reg isn't HGF? :lol:

(no, HEF is Bad Hersfeld near the (former) East German border in the middle of Germany...)

*(and I'm no expert, but is that car with four headlamps actually a TF?)

#6 ·
I did think about it a while back but decided against it, by the time I had sourced all the bits then spent the time building it, it would just not be worth it for the occassional pump up needed!

Easier just to get the local garage to do it or look out for a second hand one on ebay.

#7 ·
At last - an on topic reply...

Our "F" needs pumping up every 6 months or so (can't find any leaks) and at ~£30 a go for paying a garage to do it I was looking at buying a brand new pump (on the basis that after 5 years a brand new one will have paid for itself and if the "F" is sold before then I can sell it to recover any outstanding amount) when I came across the DIY one via Google.

Must admit I think the £40 stated in the instructions is a bit optimistic but I might just have a trip down to the local hydraulic hose and fittings supplier and price up the parts for interest sake.

#9 ·
I think if you take into consideration that the piece was written going on 7 years ago and the £ to € exchange rate was a whole other story then the guess of £40 is not so far out, even just allowing for the exchange rate change the price would be £60 now. Still, it would be interesting to see if the unit can be made by others and not only Dieter, I say this as Dieter seems to have spanners instead of fingers, he looks, he figures it out, he fixes it, and all in the time we look and wonder if now would be as good a time as any for another cup of tea..... (and it always is, haha)

#10 ·
Home Made Hydro Pump

I made a pump following Dieters instuctions, mainly for the convenience of DIY. Here in Australia if you have an MG you get sick of B.S. when you want anything fixed. The local Pirtex hydraulic supplier sourced the "no loss" coupling and made up the hose for me. $ 140.Aust . I can tell you it is the best ! Pumping up is easier ( in effort ) than jacking up. So my advice is go for it. Happy New Year everyone . Love the forum.
Ray Jones.

#12 ·
First up, having met Dieter (and toured a lot of Europe in convoy with him), he is one of the most enthusiastic & knowledgeable MGF'ers around, he's also a top bloke to chat MGs to on a summer day in the middle of the Black Forest! :lol:

OT: I've not built Dieter's version, but know of people who have and have not heard anything derogatory. Also, knowing him i'm sure it works, he is very careful about what he puts on his site.

In my case, 5 of the Essex Roadsters (including me) put £50 in a pot a few years back and we bought a Hydragas pump between us. The first time we used it on our cars we pretty much made our money back. I myself use it at least annually, just to keep everything at the right height.

If you know a few other F people and don't fancy your DIY skills, clubbing together is a good way to go as you get the real McCoy for around the same money.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.