Drivers window - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 10:55 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 600
Drivers window

Yesterday the drivers window stuck down, and wouldn't come back up.
Took the door card off and its still in the track and the sissor lift looks fine. After lots of pokeing around, and sticking a multi meter across the conector block managed to get it back up again.
Only for it to happen again this morning!

Think its either a loose connection, or the switch pack playing up.

Has anyone taken the switch pack apart and cleaned it ?
Is it possible to clean it ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 11:17

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
On my 620Sli, I have managed to take the window switch pack apart after it decided to expire in a scary smoke display which made me switch off the ignition key, very quickly, to prevent any chance of fire. The fuse blew but not fast enough as the connector at the back of pack had melted. I took the switch apart but couldn't repair it as some of the plastic had melted so I got a good one from the scrappies. I don't know why it did that but there was some wet sticky damp dirt on the switch contacts and this could have caused a short circuit as I attempted to operated the nearside rear window. Luckily the multiconnector that connects to the switch wasn't badly damaged and was still useable.

I remember on someone'rs Ti, on this forum, the window switch pack caught fire, and burned everything inside the car, carpert, seats including the dashboard. The fuse couldn't save him as it blew but not fast enough.

Last edited by denis747; 31-03-2012 at 11:23.
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deldek View Post
Yesterday the drivers window stuck down, and wouldn't come back up.
Took the door card off and its still in the track and the sissor lift looks fine. After lots of pokeing around, and sticking a multi meter across the conector block managed to get it back up again.
Only for it to happen again this morning!

Think its either a loose connection, or the switch pack playing up.

Has anyone taken the switch pack apart and cleaned it ?
Is it possible to clean it ?
When was the last time you greased the rubbers? The door rubbers the windows ride up and down in can get stiff and 'pinch' the window hard enough to prevent it rising. Use the blunt end of a old toothbrush to run inside the rubbers, while squirting some silicon spray inside them...even furniture polish that's silicon based will do

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 15:12 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rov618i View Post
When was the last time you greased the rubbers? The door rubbers the windows ride up and down in can get stiff and 'pinch' the window hard enough to prevent it rising. Use the blunt end of a old toothbrush to run inside the rubbers, while squirting some silicon spray inside them...even furniture polish that's silicon based will do
I clean and spray the rubbers about once a month, learnt that the hard way a couple of years ago when the window dropped down at a funny angle.

Managed to take the switch pack apart, only two screws and a coulpe of plastic clips holding it together. Loads of dirt / rubbish inside on top of rubber cover. (Took some photos which i will load when i can get photobucket to work) After carefully peeling back cover to get at switchs found the drivers window switch is held in place by a metal rod which just pulls out, other three switchs are push in, on plastic lugs. The brass contacts underneath were black with dirt ! Gave all the contacts a good clean and reassembled ( note, there is a small 'u' slide to centre side of contacts into which a lug on bottom of switch locates ) Tried switch before putting cover back on and window now works properly. So finished putting cover on and replaced switch pack in centre console.

All windows working now

Last edited by Deldek; 31-03-2012 at 22:08.
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 15:19 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
On my 620Sli, I have managed to take the window switch pack apart after it decided to expire in a scary smoke display which made me switch off the ignition key, very quickly, to prevent any chance of fire. The fuse blew but not fast enough as the connector at the back of pack had melted. I took the switch apart but couldn't repair it as some of the plastic had melted so I got a good one from the scrappies. I don't know why it did that but there was some wet sticky damp dirt on the switch contacts and this could have caused a short circuit as I attempted to operated the nearside rear window. Luckily the multiconnector that connects to the switch wasn't badly damaged and was still useable.

I remember on someone'rs Ti, on this forum, the window switch pack caught fire, and burned everything inside the car, carpert, seats including the dashboard. The fuse couldn't save him as it blew but not fast enough.
Judgeing from the dirt i found on/around the contacts i can see why its possible it shorted out. Glad i've now given mine a good clean.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 15:26
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deldek View Post
I clean and spray the rubbers about once a month, learnt that the hard way a couple of years ago when the window dropped down at a funny angle.

Managed to take the switch pack apart, only two screws and a coulpe of plastic clips holding it together. Loads of dirt / rubbish inside on top of rubber cover. (Took some photos which i will load when i can get photobucket to work) After carefully peeling back cover to get at switchs found the drivers window switch is held in place by a metal rod which just pulls out, other three switchs as push in, on plastic lugs. The brass contacts underneath were black with dirt ! Gave all the contacts a good clean and reassembled ( note, there is a small 'u' slide to centre side of contacts into which a lug on bottom of switch locates ) Tried switch before putting cover back on and window now works properly. So finished putting cover on and replaced switch pack in centre console.

All windows working now
I would be very gratefull for the pictures, because at some point I wanted to take swich pack apart, but did not know how.
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 21:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post

ive also had to stop my car in a scary haze of smoke. didnt know what the hell it was looked underneath at the exhaust only found out when i decided to drive on and open the window to let the smoke escape.
new switch pack it was old one was full of sand and dog hairs!
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 22:02 Thread Starter

Pictures

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 31-03-2012, 22:56

Car: Chevrolet Captiva & 1999 T reg 620 Ti
Holy cow, that's filthy/disgusting.

(Might have to do mine as I've only owned it for one of it's 12 years).
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 05:40
Rover Lifestyle

Deldek,

Thank you very much for the pictures. This helps a lot.
I was under impression switch pack can not be opened as someone more experienced than me told me it can not be opened, so I beleived him, but now I can see it can be done.
I will have to try clean mine and see what were the problems I had, which misteriously dissapeared some time ago.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverlike View Post
Deldek,

Thank you very much for the pictures. This helps a lot.
I was under impression switch pack can not be opened as someone more experienced than me told me it can not be opened, so I beleived him, but now I can see it can be done.
I will have to try clean mine and see what were the problems I had, which misteriously dissapeared some time ago.

Curiosity, patience and careful screwdriver work will open many things!

And yeah I have to agree with the others, that was one gunked up switch, mine can look that messy from the top at times so god knows what its like under....when Ive some time for fiddling about I may just pop it out and have a good old clean up too!!

Cheers for the piccies!

EDIT: Forgot to add...my L-shaped door/alarm sensors looked that filthy when I dismantled and cleaned all them, that green crap all over the connectors too, cleaned them up like new and no issues since!!
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:45
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Curiosity, patience and careful screwdriver work will open many things!
Screwdriver i have, then, suddenly I remembered that curiosity killed the cat (in my case there are no Rovers I need on scrapyard for second hand replacement if I mess things beyond repair), and I enforced patience so waitied this long to see if it finally can be opened.
Now when I have this knowledge I can use some careful work do it properly. . I hope...

So I agree with you 100% on quote, but somehow I do not think you meant it this way...

Quote:
EDIT: Forgot to add...my L-shaped door/alarm sensors looked that filthy when I dismantled and cleaned all them, that green crap all over the connectors too, cleaned them up like new and no issues since!!
Glad you sort that out. Will you consider sealing door to prevent that green crap out (if that is what is causing it), or you will do this excersise every two years?
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverlike View Post
Screwdriver i have, then, suddenly I remembered that curiosity killed the cat (in my case there are no Rovers I need on scrapyard for second hand replacement if I mess things beyond repair), and I enforced patience so waitied this long to see if it finally can be opened.
Now when I have this knowledge I can use some careful work do it properly. . I hope...

So I agree with you 100% on quote, but somehow I do not think you meant it this way...

Glad you sort that out. Will you consider sealing door to prevent that green crap out (if that is what is causing it), or you will do this excersise every two years?

Well Id never cleaned a door sensor on any car, ever, before the rover, and Ive always had secondhand cars! I expect it had never been cleaned from day one, but I prolly wont ever clean them again unless they play up again!! NO sense in fixing what aint broke! So any time I have the symptoms of interior light not coming on from front or rear doors on opening, or any related alarm issues, at least Ive learned now what to look for!!

Plus Id lubed them well and expect/hope that to last a good while!!
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-04-2012, 09:54
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Well Id never cleaned a door sensor on any car, ever, before the rover, and Ive always had secondhand cars! I expect it had never been cleaned from day one, but I prolly wont ever clean them again unless they play up again!! NO sense in fixing what aint broke! So any time I have the symptoms of interior light not coming on from front or rear doors on opening, or any related alarm issues, at least Ive learned now what to look for!!

Plus Id lubed them well and expect/hope that to last a good while!!
Uuuuupss, I was under impression that you did cleand them before this time at least once.

My mistake. I needed to clean mine last year when my car battery drained over night, and I know this was the first time of cleaning since car was produced.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 14-09-2012, 12:01

Car: Rover 620ti
Question Broken wheel repair

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I think it's better than creating a whole new one on the same topic!

Fresh from my success replacing the washer pump, I've decided to fix my driver's window, which started jamming some time ago, and I removed the fuse to stop anything getting worse. I'm getting fed up with stretching round the open door for the chip or ticket when entering car parks, so it's high time I fixed it...

I took off the door card for a look, and the rim of the rear plastic wheel has broken away from its hub, and that end of the scissor is disconnected from it. That arm is slightly bent outwards, but not badly. I have a small lathe and some plastic (Delrin) and I want to turn up a new wheel, but what I can't see, and haven't seen in any photos in this place, is how the wheel attaches to the arm. All I can see is a stud staked through the arm, but not what's on the inside, holding the wheel in place, so I don't know how to make the center of the replacement. I'd like to do as much as possible before committing to removing the window and mechanism, to reduce the chance of the weather turning nasty while I have a huge hole in the car!

So, does anyone have a photo, or anything that shows what the centre of the wheel needs to look like? (Measurements would be good!)

Also, can I remove the broken hub and refit my new wheel without breaking anything? Is there a nut or something holding it on, or is it something that can't be undone and redone?

Finally, what stops the window at each end of its travel - is it just the physical barrier overriding the torque of the motor, or is it anything more sophisticated?

Incidentally, I have some thoughts about the window switch-pack in the centre console and why they sometimes overheat, as discussed earlier in this thread, but I'll leave that for now.

Cheers,
Howard
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 14-09-2012, 12:12
Rover Lifestyle

Some pictures you have here: My dad's bought a Rover 600 in post 115.

I gave mine mechanism to a guy who replaced broken plastic wheel with metal one. Unfortunatelly I was not looking at details as I had some other things I needed done, so do not know details. But, it can be done.

There is no sophisticated method of window stopping - just physical barrier.

Nevertheless, what I did when I needed to give mechanism - mechanism completely taken out, but window was fixed in place - shut - with wooden parts put in the door that are firmly holds it in place, and you can not lower it down, but also it will not go down as wood holds it.

EDIT: Also I am interested to hear your thoughts about the window switch-pack!

Last edited by Roverlike; 14-09-2012 at 12:19.
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 14-09-2012, 12:31

Car: Rover 620ti
Roverlike,
Thanks for the link, but none of the pictures show what I need to see - the "inside" of the wheel spindle.

The last picture with the twisted arm looks like there's a pop-rivet holding the wheel, but that's not what mine looks like, on the outside it's a plain metal stud that's been force-fitted through the arm, but it's the other end of it that's a mystery!

Cheers,
Howard
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 14-09-2012, 12:36
Rover Lifestyle

Another set of pictures here: Stuck Window

You have PM.
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 14-09-2012, 15:00

Car: Rover 620 gsi
Is this what You're looking for?

Wife said throw it out and said Nah it might come in useful.(it's fubar with no motor)
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 14-09-2012, 15:14
Rover Lifestyle

You might hit the pot! That is when you have them handy...