Drivers window - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 24-09-2012, 21:33

Car: Chevrolet Captiva & 1999 T reg 620 Ti
Whilst the glass seems to jump from the leading (mirror) edge, have you checked the trailing window guide ?

Mine does something similar, though the leading edge doesn't come out. I need new glass channels to properly fix mine.

The reason: Some buffoon who has previously worked on it has over-tightened the nuts that bolt the glass guides to the door skin. Over-tightening the nuts has stripped the threads in the glass guides. So just as I think I've got them tight they slacken and go loose.

After a couple of open/closes the glass guides work loose and the window starts coming out of the runners. This being forced out of the runners no doubt has some roots in that powerful window motor.

BTW I do not think slightly bent scissor arms affect function as those on my Si were well and truly bent. I had to bludgeon them back into (rough) shape with a 4 lb lump hammer, but they were not perfect. That window (driver's side) worked fine afterwards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 28-09-2012, 09:47

Car: Rover 620ti
Thanks Rover618i, Devon and Pinkie15 - certainly looks like the channels need a good looking-at next time I have the energy (and the weather!) to take it all apart again.

But in the meantime, the rubber channel in the small vertical section at the front was bulging out on the outside, so I squeezed it back into place, and I've found that if I pull inwards on the front of the window as I raise it, it stays in that channel and closes properly. If I limit my openings to when it's really needed (entering and leaving car parks, mainly!) I'm happy to go with this work-round for now.

Cheers,
Howard
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 29-09-2012, 17:28

Car: Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRW View Post
Thanks Rover618i, Devon and Pinkie15 - certainly looks like the channels need a good looking-at next time I have the energy (and the weather!) to take it all apart again.

But in the meantime, the rubber channel in the small vertical section at the front was bulging out on the outside, so I squeezed it back into place, and I've found that if I pull inwards on the front of the window as I raise it, it stays in that channel and closes properly. If I limit my openings to when it's really needed (entering and leaving car parks, mainly!) I'm happy to go with this work-round for now.

Cheers,
Howard

Ok sunny today so had a session with the window...again... using a small mirror I checked the inside rubbers and the bit nearest door handle has a chunk out...this in turn when the window rides up is enough, apparently, to shift the window so that it rides outside the rubber, everything else looked just fine, though I did note the bottom window channel and reg arm were seemingly tilted slightly to the left...so with a chunk of rubber missing on the right, and the reg tilted, slightly mind, to the left, I can now understand why it drops to the mirror side...

anyhoo, today was for looking only, so my plan now is to remove the reg and refit, and try understand why its not level in down position

And regardless of what may solve that, Ive sent a few emails to folk breaking rovers on ebay, asking for the door rubber but ONLY if its chink/notch free

inspired of course by the vid I posted earlier about its replacement..

(replacing the rubbers entirely fast forward to 11.30: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1svF...eature=related )

post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 14:57

Car: Rover 600
Howard, problemo now solved - 100%!!

After all my worry about the notched rubbers....I was totally wrong about pretty much all I thought it could be....

In my last post I mentioned when down the lower reg runner looked tilted to the left....that's a big clue..

I discovered also a few of the bolts wouldn't tighten up so well...

But over and above all that, heres what fixed it.

Now I had been so focused on rubbers/runners etc, that I totally overlooked the two bolts farthest right on the door panel that hold the reg arm, especially the very last one on the right, as the cables almost cover it, so....the two furthest on the right sit in a vertical cut-out, and I noted the furthest one out was right at the top of the vertical cut-out...the next one in was also midway in the cutout...

Without removing the glass, I had the reg about halfway down, with hand inside and the bolts slackened, I just pulled the reg down to the bottom of the cut-outs, unsurprisingly perhaps - this straightened the reg to proper horizontal... but again couldn't get it tight, on the back of this bolt was one of those odd looking 'nuts' that look like they had the opposite corners folded over, if you know what I mean. So simply used normal nuts and its as tight as you like now!

Used same size nuts on rears of plastic clips that hold glass in, and its all tight, straight, and goes up and down perfect

Cant believe after all the times I had glass out and back in, that I didn't notice the furthest reg bolts to the right...

DOH!!

Sunny today, went for a drive and how lovely to have the driver window working as before

will get a piccy up later !!

Last edited by rov618i; 10-10-2012 at 15:03.
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 28-03-2017, 09:41

Car: Rovers - 75's, 600 & 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by rov618i View Post
When was the last time you greased the rubbers? The door rubbers the windows ride up and down in can get stiff and 'pinch' the window hard enough to prevent it rising. Use the blunt end of a old toothbrush to run inside the rubbers, while squirting some silicon spray inside them...even furniture polish that's silicon based will do
This is very true.. I had to take my door card off yesterday due to the window not rising properly, and it had come out of the front channel somehow anyway.

once all was set up the window still struggled to rise, but once the rubbers were lubricated inside the window went up nice and freely...

Kev