New Symptoms - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 26-01-2010, 17:48 Thread Starter

Car: BRM No.171 and BRM No.241 MG6 Magnette
Unhappy New Symptoms

Hi again. Right from the top........ (deep breath) Overheated at petrol station, looked under bonnet and water bubbling from cap. Filled with water and tried driving home, temp gauge gets near the red and i switched it off. Let it cool for a while topped water up, wouldn't start. Left for a couple of hours and it started. Changed cap and thermostat, went to bleed and the bleed screw snapped. Bought top hose (new) flushed system till clean water flowed through. Bled system and run up to temp, then noticed no water coming through the return pipe into the expansion tank. Pipe on tank blocked so water flows through on revs but not on idle. Now started running rough on start up and severe over fuelling. Had plugs off and getting orange spark? Had chemical test went green not yellow, and did compression test today and this was as follows from left to right cylinders: 140, 100, 90, 120. Now hopefully we can now get some diagnosis on the problem(s). Not overheating anymore but don't go to far until sorted. Cheers all in advance. Gaz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-01-2010, 06:13

Car: Blue Rover 620 Ti
Send a message via MSN to antsa911
The water should constantly run to the expansion tank, even on idle revs. There might be some obstruction in the lines but I would reccomend to turn to the coolant pump first. Is it leaking? Is the coolant fluid dissapearing in small amounts sometimes? If yes then the coolant pump needs to be changed, which can cure your problems.

When the enigne overheated and the 3rd cylinder is only on 90 psi (6 bar) and others barely on 120 psi (8 bar) it means the head gasket is gone or the bore area is very worn. Having used the car under heavy conditions I would say the bore are is hard to ruin, so turn to the head gasket.

The cylinder pressures should be 160 psi (almost 11 bar) with gas pedal to the floor and should be even only 1-2 psi difference.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-01-2010, 16:33 Thread Starter

Car: BRM No.171 and BRM No.241 MG6 Magnette
Red face

Thanks for the reply. I am going to check the water pump again this weekend and see how that is (as fine 2 weeks ago when checked). I took the plugs out to do the test and they where well carboned up. Cleaned em up before replacing and started it this morning and no misfire??? But that doesnt explain the overfueling, orange spark and the plugs carboning up so quickly? I put a small squirt of engine oil in the plug hole after the first test, to see if it would seal the piston and give a better pressure reading and it didnt. So I assume the block is ok and the cylinder head is where the problem lies?My next problem is the mot is due next month so need to get this sorted asap, especially the overfuelling as surely this will effect emissions? Cheers Gaz

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 27-01-2010, 17:06

Car: Blue Rover 620 Ti
Send a message via MSN to antsa911
If you have coil pack ignition system made until 95', then the overfueling can be caused by a bad disdributor lid. When you have wasted spark system, the cranc sensor can be failing.

If you cheched the water pump, how did you put it back? Did you renew the 2 O rings?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 28-01-2010, 06:59

Car: MG ZT-T+ CDTi Auto
Send a message via MSN to DMGRS
The temp gauge is not an accurate reading of the true block temperature, this changes all the time and so "normal" on the gauge is usually anywhere between 70 and 110 degrees celcius to keep it user friendly.

Once you go over this, you've usually baked something.

Head off time!