Please help me Revive my Rover 600! Several questions please advice! :) - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 01:27 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 600
Please help me Revive my Rover 600! Several questions please advice! :)

Hello people
Happy holidays i write u from abroad ,
so i live in very small countrie BG,
here not much left from rover 600 series
parts are hard to find and expensive,
i recently revived my front coil spring i found old stocks on ebay boge,
i like them a lot!
Before Coil springs boge i used CS GERMANY, they died in 1-2 years so i spend money for nothing here shops sale garbage parts ,
Please i beg you people help me find a decent rear set or coil springs
I want factory original genuine or lemforder or boge,
i dont want my car to be lower its low enough already i preffer everything to be in stock conditionalso my shocks are kayba all 4 or them they are fine for now,
recently my alternator died , when some electric car guy measure it when i put my headlights we see alternator charge my ac car battery at 12v this is not enough, it can be brushes inside alternator it can be everything,
So far i changed 6 different alternators from denso /mitsuba/ to bosh to whatever all of them was used and crap they dont last a long time, where i can get a new one at good price,
i recently graduate from school
thisi s my first car i love it so much i invested more than 7000gbp PARTS and labour alone ,they charge me like crazy here this includes car price + taxes + parts + labour, everything so far.
My other trouble is as far as u know honda accord same years mk 5 use same engine etcs,so my car is actually accord mk5 but they use same parts as rover 600 i hope its not a problem, my headlights have lots of condensation inside i changed them all these years i own the car for like 5-6 years and i changed hella headlights with used several times and still no luck is there any way i can perm,fix them ?

I also dont have abs is it possible to install one ?
We recently fitted brand new abs brake pump,we also fitted new master cylinder and brake booster so my brake pedal is now above /up with my last brake master it was down, i plan to upgrade my brake disks from 260 to 280mm where i can get a genuine oem brake disks and brake pads good one for front?
thanks a lot people
i hope to receive nice answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 08:27
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Rover 600 is one of the best Rovers build. I am still happily driving mine which is now 21 years old and still going strong.
These cars have long lasting parts built from factory so demand for parts is small worldwide and beacuse of that some parts become very rare to find.
However, fortunately, there is still stock of parts, OEM or aftermarket, which stand its quality and keep our cars stadily on the road if TLC and regular maintenance is applied as and when needed.

You will best find parts by part number and Rimmerbros site is the best source for both. If some parts are No Longer Available, you can still search elsewhere by provided part number.

In case of rear coil springs they still have them: Rover 600 Rear Damper at www.rimmerbros.co.uk

Difference in part numbers with letter P on the end means PATTERN which is aftermarket part made by same pattern as OEM one.

Since springs are heavy, postage cost will be high, so you need to know that.

Also you can try to search other manufacturers catalogues in order to find replacement springs by original part number.

Condensation within your headlights would say you have moisture coming into your headlights, which for me means sealing of the headlight is not good? Have you inspected sealings along the edge of the headlight and on the bulb change closing cap? If seal is not correct moisture will come inside the headlights and provide you more problems as reflecting surface of the headlight might corrode and thus light output will degrade.

Regarding ABS, everything can be retrofitted, but you will have extra work in changing and retrofitting parts in your car. What is important is to take all parts from same donor car, as there was several ABS modules fitted on Rover 600 througout production life.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 11:14 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Rover 600 is one of the best Rovers build. I am still happily driving mine which is now 21 years old and still going strong. These cars have long lasting parts built from factory so demand for parts is small worldwide and beacuse of that some parts become very rare to find. However, fortunately, there is still stock of parts, OEM or aftermarket, which stand its quality and keep our cars stadily on the road if TLC and regular maintenance is applied as and when needed. You will best find parts by part number and Rimmerbros site is the best source for both. If some parts are No Longer Available, you can still search elsewhere by provided part number. In case of rear coil springs they still have them: Rover 600 Rear Damper at www.rimmerbros.co.uk Difference in part numbers with letter P on the end means PATTERN which is aftermarket part made by same pattern as OEM one. Since springs are heavy, postage cost will be high, so you need to know that. Also you can try to search other manufacturers catalogues in order to find replacement springs by original part number. Condensation within your headlights would say you have moisture coming into your headlights, which for me means sealing of the headlight is not good? Have you inspected sealings along the edge of the headlight and on the bulb change closing cap? If seal is not correct moisture will come inside the headlights and provide you more problems as reflecting surface of the headlight might corrode and thus light output will degrade. Regarding ABS, everything can be retrofitted, but you will have extra work in changing and retrofitting parts in your car. What is important is to take all parts from same donor car, as there was several ABS modules fitted on Rover 600 througout production life.
i Still drive my CAR everyday as well! but services around here in bg are very incompetent about rover 600 series.About HEADLIGHTS we used silicone to seal them several times and no luck.
i also replacet them no luck,
one of my friends used some sort of tooth cleaning,to remove some layers of his headlight glass and he used projector lenses and made his car xenon in that case no moisture because xenon lenses remove them very fast.
Are Boge better than oem ?
Coils have various colours
i dont know which coressponds to boge?
Also can someone explain to me what each colour mean i know some colours are for diesel some for petrol some for auto some for manual.

the only thing that is genuine
that they have in stock - is this
Spring-road rear coil - Blue, Brown - Genuine MG Rover

can u tell me is this for petrol,diesel,auto or anything else.

Last edited by bladest; 31-12-2016 at 11:43.
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 31-12-2016, 14:18
Rover Lifestyle

I just now realised that you actually own a Honda and not Rover 600.

They do share parts but I tend to stick of manufacturer recommendations and not mix parts because parts are defined by manufacturer.

In that sense I am not sure that rear coil springs from Rover 600 will be the correct ones for Honda.

If your car would be Rover 600 and year of manufacturing 1994 then you should use blue coil springs Rear Coil Spring at www.rimmerbros.co.uk. Different colors were used for production models depending on year of production which can be seen by VIN number.
When they say it is available by their supplier in 2-3 days, that only means they need 2-3 days more for delivery times. Nothing else.

However I cannot advise which one will be the correct one for Honda, as I do not have experiance with Hondas.

For some parts like springs I tend to stick to OEM ones if I can get them as I am the most confident in quality and durability. In that sense I do not know if other manufacturers are better or not.
Price for OEM parts is usualy high.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 00:42 Thread Starter

Exept few minor details like trunk headlights rear lights etcs Everything else is 100% Same! I own many parts from rover 600 all of them great! Honda mk 5 is made in same factory swindon uk ,Rover is made in swindon as well , can u tell me what year are blues springs.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 07:54
Rover Lifestyle

Blue springs are used for Rover 600 cars manufactured from 1993 until mid june 1996.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 23:51 Thread Starter

Is there a place where i can get them at better price?
Also what u will reccomend me about my alternator i already bought used several like 5-6 and each time they are broken brushes or diode block,
and here in my country only fake parts to exchange,i cant buy genuine brushes
is there a uk site or place where i can order genuine OEM BRUSHES so my alternator can make some electricity ?
Friend of mine with rover 600
year 1994-95 have same alternator Denso/Mitsuba , his make 14v
and mine make 12v...
when car is started and headlights are off or on.
So my car battery cant be charged well this is my 3d ac car battery i change.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-01-2017, 07:21
Rover Lifestyle

You can get cheaper set of springd in two ways: either someone is selling the same part number on ebay for smaller amount of money or you will not buy that set but set from some other manufacturer which will suit your car.

Regarding brushes, same site is still selling them. You have both parts of brushes here:
1. Box assembly-brush alternator - Genuine MG Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
2. Box assembly-brush alternator - Genuine MG Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
But be warned, these parts are for original Rover 600 alternator for year 1993 up to mid 1996. I do not know what alternator you have installed, so it is up to you to check if this will fit or not.

Regarding diode pack, they are no longer available as new, so it is either to find them on ebay if someone will sell them, or they need to be repaired. Part number for diode pack is YLT10001, but same warning apply as above.
Where you can repair them in UK I cannot advise as I do not live in UK, so only in case someone else come to this thread with info can advise you.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 01:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
You can get cheaper set of springd in two ways: either someone is selling the same part number on ebay for smaller amount of money or you will not buy that set but set from some other manufacturer which will suit your car.

Regarding brushes, same site is still selling them. You have both parts of brushes here:
1. Box assembly-brush alternator - Genuine MG Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
2. Box assembly-brush alternator - Genuine MG Rover at www.rimmerbros.co.uk
But be warned, these parts are for original Rover 600 alternator for year 1993 up to mid 1996. I do not know what alternator you have installed, so it is up to you to check if this will fit or not.

Regarding diode pack, they are no longer available as new, so it is either to find them on ebay if someone will sell them, or they need to be repaired. Part number for diode pack is YLT10001, but same warning apply as above.
Where you can repair them in UK I cannot advise as I do not live in UK, so only in case someone else come to this thread with info can advise you.
i dont live in the uk as well for 50gbp there is a brand new alternator denso never used , do i need both parts from yours description ?
mine alternator is from year 1993 till 96
DENSO/NIPPON/

Do u think its possible to find some rover 600
from scrap yard
with good
and well maintained coil springs on the rear so i can use them ?!
i dont know how to try and find this , may be ebay or can u advice? Because i search everyday and new i dont find anything good like boge,bilstein and other reliable brands only crappy brands...

Last edited by bladest; 04-01-2017 at 01:23.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 09:29
Rover Lifestyle

Regarding brushes, as I said, I do not know if they will fit to your alternator, so you will have to see this with electric guys locally to you.

For the rear coil springs, they can be found on R600 on scrapyards, but that depends on which scrapyard you look at. There is none R600 on scrapyards where I live.

Coil springs for R600 on eBay I can find is this: Rover 600 Coil Springs | eBay

Unfotunately, I do not know the quality of these manufacturers, so cannot say how good they are.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2017, 23:36 Thread Starter

Quote:
Regarding brushes, as I said, I do not know if they will fit to your alternator, so you will have to see this with electric guys locally to you.

For the rear coil springs, they can be found on R600 on scrapyards, but that depends on which scrapyard you look at. There is none R600 on scrapyards where I live.

Coil springs for R600 on eBay I can find is this: Rover 600 Coil Springs | eBay

Unfotunately, I do not know the quality of these manufacturers, so cannot say how good they are.
can you clarify what exactly is R600 scrapyards ? is this a site or
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 07:44
Rover Lifestyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladest View Post
can you clarify what exactly is R600 scrapyards ? is this a site or
There is no R600 scrapyard as far as I know, but there might be R600 on scrapyard.

R600 is just short name for Rover 600 series, frequently used on Rover forums. Same as R400 or R200, shorter names of Rover 400 series and Rover 200 series.

Scrapyard is the same as scrap yard, a yard in which you collect scrap parts. A yard in which cars are brought in order to dismantle it in recycable parts.