So, what have you done to your Rover 600 Today? - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 1280 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 21:56

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
Congratulations for the MoT John.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 1280 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 22:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete27011 View Post
Over the last few weekends I have had a bit of work doing to my 620ti in readiness for the Mot due in december,Denis came over and fitted my car with New discs and pads all round did a marvelous job too and also fitted a new upper wishbone to the front left side this weekend as well as replacing a lower balljoint gaiter,well done to Denis as he toiled all day to do the front brakes as we all know they are a pig of a job and i would not have had a clue what to do with stripping down the front hubs!
All i need to do now is wait for the mot and see if anything is found,one area of concern is a vibration through the car when accelarating from 40- 60 mph,i have rule out tyre balancing as they have all been checked and are fine,the only thing i can think is maybe engine or gear box mounts?
anyone have any ideas!
Your new brake discs look nice Pete. Check that the harmonic vibration rubber dampers (the round rubber discs), on the drive shafts are still there as that could also be one reason for the vibration. Though if it was the vibration dampers then it should, also, be doing it during deceleration as the car goes through the speed range in which you are experiencing the vibration during acceleration. I forgot to think of this while I was there. Otherwise it could be that engine mount that John explained about. The mount is easy to replace.

Last edited by denis747; 12-11-2013 at 22:17.
post #23 of 1280 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 22:27 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover 64 View Post
That looks very nice indeed with the white wheels. In the sunlight it really does show it off to its best.

Well done John.

Oh and its stopped raining! and, a MOT you must have been praying very hard
Yes, I like them too.

I never worry about the MoT although it's always a disappointment with an unexpected fail. That rarely happens.

Most of the checks on the MoT are security and safety related. So very important to me and my family who all drive MGs or Rovers.

I regard the tester as my 'safe' friend. Provided he's trustworthy which mine always is. He only does MoTs, not the fail work. If he fails my car then I know that it has failed and he is not generating work. Diamond geezer.

In now over fifty years of car ownership, the most I've ever had to spend on any car to get it to pass the MoT retest after failing was 200 on a very high mileage MG Montego. The wheel arches were badly corroded and the rear sills in that area too. I bought some new wheel arches and got the old ones cut out and new ones welded in. That for me says it all about owning MGs and Rovers which are the cars I've mainly run in all that time. Some of the sad stories I hear of the running costs of cars many people regard as superior to my choices are horrificly expensive. I prefer not to go there. There again, what do I know.

post #24 of 1280 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 22:33

John, while I was having my MoT test, I saw two of the so called superior cars, both just 3 years old, fail their MoT and require about 600 to be spent on them to get them to pass.
post #25 of 1280 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 22:35

Car: MG ZT-T+ CDTi Auto
Send a message via MSN to DMGRS
Rainsports are fantastic! Good choice, especially in our climate...
post #26 of 1280 (permalink) Old 12-11-2013, 22:42 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
John, while I was having my MoT test, I saw two of the so called superior cars, both just 3 years old, fail their MoT and require about 600 to be spent on them to get them to pass.
I believe you. Amazing what it costs to run some of those 'superior' cars.

Unlike most of the time when he is very busy, my MoT tester was unusually quiet today with a lighter workload. So was able to chat to him whilst he worked and he explains his findings on my car and others. I've been using him for over twenty years now and some of the stories he tells me are real eye openers where so called 'superior' cars are concerned. Serious issues.

It's nice when at the end of the test he says something like "You got a good 'n there John"... I respect his judgement.

He even said that about the MGF I had tested recently. The 118,000 mile one with a long list of MoT fails which was the reason the previous owner decided to sell. I systematically sorted each MoT 'fail' item and the little car is a hoot to drive now... even in November with the glorious sunshine like we had today. ...
post #27 of 1280 (permalink) Old 13-11-2013, 06:43
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Congratulations for the MoT John Always nice to read/hear these kind of stories!!
post #28 of 1280 (permalink) Old 13-11-2013, 17:34 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Congratulations for the MoT John Always nice to read/hear these kind of stories!!
Here's another upbeat 620ti experience.

One of the Central Locking Remote Fobs suddenly stopped working after four years of faultless use. Fitted two new 2016 Button Cell Batteries and still not working. Removed PCB and carefully cleaned it then refitted. This has worked in the past but, not this time....

Losing patience now coming to the conclusion it will never work again. Very annoying having only one working fob for a car as odds-on Sod's Law will play a part and guess which one would go missing... Then you're in trouble being unable to use the car.

Right getting desperate now. ran some hot water into a cup and immersed the Fob's PCB fully into the water for a few minutes. Removed it, shook the surplus water away and carefully wiped it dry with a paper sheet of kitchen towel. Then placed it on a recently boiled kettle to allow the heat to fully dry it completely.

Half an hour later reassembled the fob with those new 2016 batteries and pressed the buttons. IT NOW LIT UP both the Green and Red L.E.D,s !!!

Took both fobs out to the car and BOTH WORK.

Funny old game cars and their stuff sometimes. I am not recommending this hot water treatment but, looks like it did the trick on this occasion.

Whilst on the subject of Rover 600 remote fobs. My most recent 620ti acquisition came with only one Remote Fob and Chipped Key. I really need a pair of duplicates. Unlike in the past, my usually helpful local Locksmith has not been able to source a chipped key to clone this time. he has tried to obtain a blank one without luck for a few weeks now.

So, does anyone know anywhere who could supply a duplicate Chipped Key and Remote Fob for a Rover 600?
post #29 of 1280 (permalink) Old 13-11-2013, 17:49

Nice method for fixing that fob pcb John.
I think this company has key blanks; http://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/...at=100&manu=32
post #30 of 1280 (permalink) Old 13-11-2013, 18:23
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
So, does anyone know anywhere who could supply a ... and Remote Fob for a Rover 600?
Remote fob for post '96 R600 is extremely rare to find on eBay. Until now I did not cross new one for Europe IIRC. There were several for Japan market, but you can not use them as the frequency is different.

However, you need new (or used) fob with full bar code with it, as otherwise it can not be programmed to R600. Other problem is that only T4 machine can program R600 fob to the alarm box in the boot. As I know T300 is not capable of doing it.

You will be much better to find used alarm box from boot with two working fobs and replace them in your car. Of course that must be from post '96 car.

EDIT: You have fobs from RimmerBros, but the price is high: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YWX100450

EDIT 2: If you have near LandRover garage, you can ask them if they have T4 (probably they have) and ask if they have programs for Rover cars and R600 for fob programming. See if they know the procedure and ask the price.

Last edited by Roverlike; 13-11-2013 at 18:34.
post #31 of 1280 (permalink) Old 13-11-2013, 18:39 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverlike View Post
Remote fob for post '96 R600 is extremely rare to find on eBay. Until now I did not cross new one for Europe IIRC. There were several for Japan market, but you can not use them as the frequency is different.

However, you need new (or used) fob with full bar code with it, as otherwise it can not be programmed to R600. Other problem is that only T4 machine can program R600 fob to the alarm box in the boot. As I know T300 is not capable of doing it.

You will be much better to find used alarm box from boot with two working fobs and replace them in your car. Of course that must be from post '96 car.

EDIT: You have fobs from RimmerBros, but the price is high: http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-YWX100450
Thanks for that useful posting Roverlike.

Yes, two fobs with alarm box is a good option. I have sold two sets to 600 owners on this forum. Should have kept one back for myself. Whenever I see a 600 in local breaker yards, keys not there or just one. rarely ever two keys.

I do have a couple of later R600 Remote Fobs and I shall check to see if either still has the full bar code inside on that little white label.

I have already purchased two NE77RT2 R600 Chipped Key Blanks from the link Denis provided. The picture shows an aftermarket key like the ones my local Locksmith was able to supply in the past.
post #32 of 1280 (permalink) Old 14-11-2013, 15:54 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up That's much better!

Some of you may know I have a "thing" about clean Coolant Expansion Bottles. Not simply for cosmetic reasons although that's a bonus, ease of fluid level checks being the prime reason.

So, here is a series of three images of the cleaning process today on the 620ti I bought in late September. Before, during and after cleaning ..

That's more like it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 620ti R910 CAE Coolant Bottle Clean Up 001.JPG (120.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 620ti R910 CAE Coolant Bottle Clean Up 005.JPG (82.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 620ti R910 CAE Coolant Bottle Clean Up 007.JPG (102.1 KB, 27 views)
post #33 of 1280 (permalink) Old 14-11-2013, 17:17

Car: MG ZT-T+ CDTi Auto
Send a message via MSN to DMGRS
Proper OEM cap too. Good stuff.
I had a cheap Halfords cap on a silver Ti I owned for a while - cue an epic boil-over and loss of 3L of water!
post #34 of 1280 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 17:27

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Tried NFU for an insurance quote

Well today tried for an insurance quote from the NFU as we had to do a bit of shopping in town. When the quote came out even the clerk thought it was damned high ............................... 470

Got to keep looking I suppose.
post #35 of 1280 (permalink) Old 15-11-2013, 18:05

Car: mgtf 135 trophy, Rover 800 Coupe 2.0 Turbo, Rover 800 MK1 Vitesse, Rover 620 Ti
Try Swift cover. I have just insured my Ti fully comp 11 yrs NCD 192 or 224 with protected NCD
post #36 of 1280 (permalink) Old 17-11-2013, 13:48

Thank you have just done so and it's looking good. Need to clarify NCD as this is a second car.
post #37 of 1280 (permalink) Old 22-11-2013, 07:11

Well Thursday afternoon during breaks in the rain managed to put the new Bosch bulbs in the main beams. Not that the old ones had blown but one was a rather odd greenish hue, this is the one the vendor fitted as one was out, turns out to be a Daewoo bulb. Now at least they match.

The other "old" bulb is an Osram. These will be placed in the boot safely to carry as spares JIC.
post #38 of 1280 (permalink) Old 22-11-2013, 14:09 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up Only one Remote Fob is asking for trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
Nice method for fixing that fob pcb John.
I think this company has key blanks; http://www.hickleys.com/diagnostics/...at=100&manu=32
Thanks again for that link Denis.

I bought TWO Chipped Keys from them but got an email saying out of stock and will get some within a few days. Just like my local locksmith who also has trouble locating a supply. Thought I'd give it a week and if they do not supply, get a refund. Then got excellent Courier { DPD } updates showing my shipment was on the way. They arrived exactly in the middle of the hour window they anticipated they would. Saves me hanging about all day on the off chance when they will arrive needing a signature.

I bought two keys as the postage, packing and handling was the same for two as one. The other will come in handy someday. Each key worked out about twelve quid.

So, went to my local locksmith who has a key programming module and asked if they could clone and cut the blank to match the one original I have for the car. The young lad tried to programme the blank key and it was successful. He soon had it cut too and I tried it on the car. Door, Boot and of course the ignition switch barrel. Perfect and total cost showed a worthwhile saving had they supplied and programmed a duplicate chipped key.

Now I need to obtain another remote fob and get that matched to the car. I believe a T4 will be needed to do this. Rimmer show these can be supplied. OE ones far more expensive than the aftermarket ones. That's a puzzle. Need to do more searching.

Meantime, if anyone can help with a suggestions how to get a duplicate remote Fob for the Rover 600, I shall be pleased to have that news. The suggestion that the local Land Rover dealership maybe able to help with a T4 is a good idea. I'll enquire next time I pass.

Some years ago, I bought a Remote Fob Kit as the car I then had did not have any Remotes and I used it with key only. So bought one of these 'piggy back' remote kits which I've seen working well on other cars. Then a scrapyard visit produced two late-600 remote Fobs and the all important ECU from the boot. So, that kit is still in its box...
post #39 of 1280 (permalink) Old 22-11-2013, 14:18

You are welcome John, I will try find out if there is somewhere where the fob can be programmed to match the key-less entry and alarm ecu.
post #40 of 1280 (permalink) Old 23-11-2013, 10:42

I too am remote less for the 600 so really need to get a couple sorted. The Bike shop in Skegness was able to supply, cut and programme a new key when we got the car as it only had the one.