So, what have you done to your Rover 600 Today? - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 1280 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 12:55

Car: 620Ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Always hard to diagnose things like these remotely.

My son had what you describe in his high mileage 620ti.

We checked everything we could think of but drew a blank. The clunks continued.

Then, later when doing another job on the car, it was necessary to support the sump on a trolley jack. That revealed the damaged main Engine Mount on the timing side has severed the rubber. Probably simple age and fatigue after close on 200,000 miles.

Thing was, it would seat properly when lifting the bonnet to check things and gave no clue of the wear damage unseen under the Big Alloy Bracket.
If you are still looking for a new engine mount - MG ZR right engine mount is identical and they cost about 60 quid brand new!
Mine is getting a bit old and cracked i just might go ahead and buy one.
Left side motor mount is now an issue, where to find just a bush? I dont have a clue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 1280 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 13:50

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez0 View Post
If you are still looking for a new engine mount - MG ZR right engine mount is identical and they cost about 60 quid brand new!
Mine is getting a bit old and cracked i just might go ahead and buy one.
Left side motor mount is now an issue, where to find just a bush? I dont have a clue.
If the mount is no longer available, then I think what we can do is measure the dimension then get just a bush of that size then press it in using a vice for example. It is a pain with these "no longer available" parts. Maybe even a polyurethane bush will work, but I don't know if a polybush will transmit most of the engine vibrations to the chassis.

Last edited by denis747; 25-11-2013 at 13:56.
post #43 of 1280 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 15:30 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
There's a P-Reg White 620ti in our local breaker yard between Gloucester and Cheltenham. Most useful parts already gone but that main Timing Side engine mount looks in perfect condition.

Here's the car :~

Location: Bucklands on the old A40 west of Cheltenham about 1 mile from Junction 11 on the M5.

post #44 of 1280 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 15:50

John, parts vultures raided that one very quickly.
post #45 of 1280 (permalink) Old 25-11-2013, 15:53

Poor car, at least it still has its motor in there!
I understand most folks send cars of to junk yards because of small isdues they dont want to hassel with fixing - what a shame.
post #46 of 1280 (permalink) Old 26-11-2013, 19:31

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Just a small thing today I charged up the battery as it has been standing for a couple of months.
post #47 of 1280 (permalink) Old 29-11-2013, 22:11 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up

VED Taxed the blue 620ti which passed the MoT a few days ago ~ see above ~ the one with white wheels. 225 ~ ouch ! Also surrendered the VED Tax disc from the recently purchased 620ti and that will be on SORN with effect from 1st December. That will realise a refund of 5/6ths of the 225 which will offset most of the VED expenditure on the other 620ti.

I've already tucked the soon to be SORNed car away in the garage. I'll get that going again if the better weather of the Spring ever arrives. Hate this time of year. Seems to be dark all the time even at mid-day.

Other car related stuff today included refitting the refurbished [ leaky rim-tyre interface ] O/S/R wheel to the MGF. Here's pictures of my method on this MGF thread I posted :~

Refurbish for rim-bead interface

That method I've used on a whole range of Alloy Wheels over the years and it has prooved a 100% successful cure for slow rim-tyre air pressure leaks.

Looks better now without that one MG Montego 15" Alloy Wheel with its twenty year old tyre. Looked odd which it was but, kept up well for the few days it was on though. Think I'll get that set of MG Montego Alloy Wheels refurbished in the new year. I think they will look good on the little MGF. Be able to use higher profile tyres on the smaller diameter wheels to give a better quality of ride. The roads round my way are far from smooth.

The alloy wheels on my MG Montegos, including two sets of 1990s VVC MGF Wheels have a much more durable paint finish than those fitted to other cars like the MG ZS and Rover 620ti original wheels. Particularly the unseen inner surface of the OE 620ti 16" Alloy Wheels which are very prone to flaking exposing the bare metal alloy. Rim Clip Balance Weights on those accelerate the damage and mother nature's worst winter conditions do the rest.

F1 tyres have a high profile so that the extra sidewalls of the tyres act like additional susension travel. I really notice the quality of ride difference between 45 and 55 profile tyres on my two 620ti.
post #48 of 1280 (permalink) Old 30-11-2013, 14:58

Due to the trailing arm bolt issue on the 75 the 623 is back on the road all insured and taxed. Just put 6 months on this time to move the renewal date away from the 75's.

So washed the 623, checked and adjusted tyre pressures as it has sat for a couple of months, fitted the new Boshe bulbs in the mains the other week and this morning fitted the Osram Nigh breakers in the normal (dip beams) and got some petrol as it was low. Light on!!!

Checked levels and all OK

Then took mother aka "The Old Dragon" down to get her hair done and the 623 looks like it needs washing again. I also noticed that one rear tyre is gettign down towards the wear marks. best have a closer look soon and decide what to do.

Oh yes swapped a CD in the multi changer.
post #49 of 1280 (permalink) Old 30-11-2013, 15:21 Thread Starter
Supporter

Saving on VED costs. GRRRRRRHH!

I never tax a car for six months. There's a 10% surcharge over the annual twelve month rate. If possible, best to VED Tax it for the full twelve months and submit it for a refund after six months.That way you avoid that 10% surcharge penalty which over the year for the 225 it costs to VED my 620ti-s, is 22.50p. No inconsiderate sum for most folks.

I would prefer to hold onto rather than see hard to come by go to the Nation's Purse or other public sector costs. Most PAYE earners pay more than their share into the Nation's purse. Lower paid who cannot afford to tax a little value car for a whole year are penalised that massive 10% surcharge.

Not very fair by any outfit ( OK ~ Government ) we entrust the Nation's well being to who insist they do care about the lower earners or smaller income folks. Then demonstrate that caring by penailising them massively. Comes about from so many over-paid public sector types from any PM downwards ( or upwards depending on your viewpoint .. ) being so hugely cushioned against the harshness of some of the realities they create and put in place for the rest of us. Whilst at the same time conveniently doing little to recover a fair share of taxes from the massively paid and often over-paid, or crookedly rewarded many of whom pay next to no tax.

Ever wonder why they do not address that? I don't.
post #50 of 1280 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 12:24

The funds were not there to tax for 12.

Anyway took the 623 out for a nice run did about 40 odd miles and stopped in an Esso to get s decent level of fuel in the tank. That took it to about 3/4 level. Will have to pop in next week to refill the petrol cans as I used what we had to put some in the other day as it was right low.

Brakes were little noisey from standing but all cleaned up now and she ran sweet as a nut.

Well pleased.
post #51 of 1280 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 12:26

Car: Rover 600
John, Things are the way they are because we let them get away with it.
Last year I had American relatives stay for a few weeks and they were amazed at the cost of "gas" and the taxes car owners have to pay here.
post #52 of 1280 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
Last year I had American relatives stay for a few weeks and they were amazed at the cost of "gas" and the taxes car owners have to pay here.
Especially Fuel Duty. It is daylight robbery.
post #53 of 1280 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 19:12 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldduffer View Post
So very true plus there's a huge flaw in the democratic voting system here in the good ol' UK. It is this :~

THE BLUDDY GOVERMENT ALWAYS GETS IN !

Funny you mention about price diffrences between the US and UK. I bought a tidy 620ti a while back from a local lady who had some American relatives staying the day I picked it up. They were amazed that such a fine car would go for a mere thousand quid!
post #54 of 1280 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 20:07 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up Check those tyre presures !

Having fitted four new UNIROYAL Rainsport 2 tyres to my 620ti a while back, I have not been happy with the 'feel' they give me when pressing on a bit.

So today, checked the tyre pressures. I had requested they inflate them to 33/32 psi front and rear when they inflated the new tyres. I pulled into my local Sainsbury's Supermarket petrol station to check presures. One of the few remaining locally who do not charge 50pence for their DIY tyre check and adjust facility. That 50 pence is on a timer and never allows enough to check all four tyres let alone the spare too.. Greedy Cowsons ... So, I vote with my feet ~ correction: Wheels ...

Imagine my surprise on checking to find 40 and 37 psi in the front tyres, and 37 psi in the rears.

Just before inflating my tyres, they had repaired a puncture in a BMW's Run Flats and that needed 40 psi in it, which surprised me. Bluddy BMWs ...

Any road up. I reset all the four tyres to 30 psi and what a difference. Normal service has been resumed. I like these Rainsports 2s now ...

Come daylight tomorrow, I will use my old tyre pressure gauge to check the pressures in case the Supermarket's facility was not accurate... unlikely but you never can be certain and costs little time to recheck.
post #55 of 1280 (permalink) Old 01-12-2013, 21:18

John,

I use my own tyre gauges all the time. Have a Dunlop and a Schrader I think it is. Was really peeved as helping out one of the carers I lost the gauge dad gave me 30+ years ago. As my old manual foot pump wore out I bought a small electric one that plugs into the cigar lighter. It's slow but it does the job. need to get anew foot pumpm one day.

I tried a new modern gauge but it was horribly inaccurate. So found some good vintage ones .

One new Schrader type that I bought refused to register anything. Vendor said it was fine but I insisted and he refunded my money. New is not always better!

The 623 Auto runs 33 front and 32 rear according to the handbook.
post #56 of 1280 (permalink) Old 15-12-2013, 12:17

I will be installing the engine splash guard as mine is missing one and it should be there, may be some garage mechanic forgot to put it back in previous ownership. I know some people remove them, but I believe they serve a purpose otherwise, the manufacturer wouldn't have wasted money putting them there.

I was lucky to get one from MGJohn;

I ordered the necessary flange head bolts and clips from Rimmerbros. They didn't have the flanged head bolts in stock but they back ordered them from Japan. I have 8 of the bolts and two plastic clips. Here they are;

I will be installing the splash guard soon. Don't want the thought of cold rain water splashing onto hot areas such as hot exhaust manifold and/or hot turbocharger.

Last edited by denis747; 15-12-2013 at 12:30.
post #57 of 1280 (permalink) Old 26-12-2013, 12:48

Car: Rover 620 gsi
Changed wheels for spare set with winter/snow tyres fitted.

NK Snow SV-2.Never used them before and reviews seem a bit mixed.

post #58 of 1280 (permalink) Old 26-12-2013, 13:16

Engine splash shield, finally in, after weeks and weeks of severe laziness . Let it rain or let it snow.
post #59 of 1280 (permalink) Old 26-12-2013, 14:41

do you guys just have brand new spare parts laying at home? lol
i find it amazing, and i envy you fellas for having access to all these neat new bits and pieces!

im getting ready to buy a totaled Ti pretty soon. front end is crushed but engine, gearbox, rear end and interior are in good shape. it will be a donor for many parts to be changed in the future!
post #60 of 1280 (permalink) Old 26-12-2013, 14:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez0 View Post
do you guys just have brand new spare parts laying at home? lol
i find it amazing, and i envy you fellas for having access to all these neat new bits and pieces!

im getting ready to buy a totaled Ti pretty soon. front end is crushed but engine, gearbox, rear end and interior are in good shape. it will be a donor for many parts to be changed in the future!
I was lucky MGJohn, kept that engine splash shield in his shed. My earlier attempts of searching for an engine splash shield proved fruitless. I looked on Rimmerbros and it was NLA (no longer available), searched on the internet - ebay e.t.c and couldn't find any. I decided to message John, and he had one.

Some parts, like the screws for the engine splash, shield, I was lucky because, even though Rimmerbros didn't have them in stock, they ordered them for me, from Japan.

For other parts, we usually raid the scrap yards if a 600ti (for specific Ti parts) or any other R600 (for other parts) happen to be in a yard. It is a good idea to buy the totalled ti that you are buying for parts, as it will help when you need parts.

For parts that are still available, from motor-factors, we just buy from motor-factors. Sometimes we decide to manufacture some parts at home, like this power steering cooler for example.

Last edited by denis747; 26-12-2013 at 15:04.