So, what have you done to your Rover 600 Today? - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #81 of 1255 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 19:24

Car: Rover 618i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGJohn View Post
Tell you what I've done to the R-Reg 620ti I purchased last month. Investigated why my SRS light does not illuminate on ignition start up. This has been annoying me for a month or so. I mentioned it to the previous owner when I bought it asking if anyone had removed the SRS bulb in the instrument binnacle. He had no idea about that. Although some years in the trade, he was a bodyshop and paintshop man rather than under the bonnet stuff at a Rover main dealership.

Anyway, there was no bulb there and I fitted a good replacement and now the Red SRS Light is on all the time the car is being driven.

Right now's the time to break out some special equipment such a a bent paper clip... I then accessed the yellow SRS connector spur on the loom behind the drop down drawer above the driver's knee. I actually removed the whole panel with the drawer to provide better access. That also gave better access to the male OBD port nearby on the same metal cross member as the SRS spur connector. More about the OBD plug later.

Using that off-cut of the paper clip, I followed the SRS Reset Light procedure in the hand written note I made some years ago. Works every time provided the system is in order. It worked again today and I was relieved to see the light go out after the six second system check when switching on the ignition.

With that panel removed, using my T-300 and one of Technozen's modified cables, I was able to access the fault codes. There were quite a few and I also used it to check the fault codes on the P-Reg MGF. The two MGF fault codes were the same as two of those on the 620ti.

Despite all those OBD Fault Codes, both cars run really well.

The sequence of the attached pictures give an idea of today's works on the cars.
tried that today john but no look or I am not fast enough , my SRS light is on all the time but if it don't work when I try in the week when I have to put the double switch in the bulb will come out
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 1255 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 19:32 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
SRS Light reset.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo_uk View Post
tried that today john but no look or I am not fast enough , my SRS light is on all the time but if it don't work when I try in the week when I have to put the double switch in the bulb will come out
Sometimes when working on the car, battery or whatever, the SRS will illuminate and stay on. There is a way to return it to the usual check self diagnosis sequence on then off providing the system is sound.

600 SRS light reset

...... Hmmmmm ...
post #83 of 1255 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 19:32

Car: 620Ti
Today i did a 1 min' cosmetic job.
The had three missing alloy caps. Searched feabay and found a set of 4 used 800 vitty caps. Got them for 9 qiud shipped to israel.
Opend up the postbox and found my package waiting for me!
Tore it open and surprisingly found 5 caps! Three in mint condition and two a little ruff.
Snapped them in, the 600 looks much better now.
Such a small addition can make a big diffrence!

post #84 of 1255 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 19:54

Car: 618IS silver bullet
eye is in the detail
post #85 of 1255 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 21:43

Put a new bulb in the boot but still no work off down the tat yard tomorrow to get one from any car ? Is that ok or does it have to be the right one ?
post #86 of 1255 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 22:09

could be the switch thing that fits in boot some where
post #87 of 1255 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 22:45 Thread Starter
Supporter

Procrastination

Common problem on any old cars now and our cars are mostly oild. MG3s and MG6s excluded although some of the latter are getting on now.

Use a Multimetre to check if there is power to the two terminals in the bulb housing. Yes, almost certainly it needs a good seeing to. Clean up and remove any surface corrosion from the switch contacts and its connector.

Had to do that with several of my family cars. Here's the best one :~

Procrastin ~ wossname
post #88 of 1255 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:30

not Doing much today as it is raining !!!!!! YES when it Rains here it Rains mind you I think I shall take the car to the bodywork garage there is a litte rust spot by the rear passenger door which I touched & a hole is there requires a plate welded on then filled

Last edited by Evo_uk; 05-02-2014 at 11:33. Reason: Added text
post #89 of 1255 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 11:50

are you sure your not my rover twin? mines same raining here to and mine need doing to lol
post #90 of 1255 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 13:27

I may be .......... lol
post #91 of 1255 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 14:19 Thread Starter
Supporter

Evo, me being a life-long Railway and transport enthusiast, I often watch Michael Portillo's "Great Railway Journey" programmes on TV. Yesterday he was in your part of southern Spain and Gibraltar. Nice place to be. The weather was nice then.. . Portillo has Spanish family origins and is bi-lingual. Gibraltar still a bone of contention between our two countries. How do you find that affects things there? Interesting. Maybe a subject for another time.

Meantime, here's one of the many reasons I am a lifelong railway enthusiast.

Being pushed up the Lickey Incline with this magnificent one off locomotive purposely designed and built by the Midland Railway Company in Derby. Specifically to assist heavy trains up that impressively steep slope ... for a railway line. Enjoyed that experience several times when I was 12-14 years old. Look at the size of those cylinders. I stood inside one on an official visit to the Derby Railway Works back in my schooldays. Great days gorn forever.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
post #92 of 1255 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 15:10

Quote:
Evo, me being a life-long Railway and transport enthusiast, I often watch Michael Portillo's "Great Railway Journey" programmes on TV. Yesterday he was in your part of southern Spain and Gibraltar. Nice place to be. The weather was nice then.. . Portillo has Spanish family origins and is bi-lingual. Gibraltar still a bone of contention between our two countries. How do you find that affects things there? Interesting. Maybe a subject for another time.

Meantime, here's one of the many reasons I am a lifelong railway enthusiast.

Being pushed up the Lickey Incline with this magnificent one off locomotive purposely designed and built by the Midland Railway Company in Derby. Specifically to assist heavy trains up that impressively steep slope ... for a railway line. Enjoyed that experience several times when I was 12-14 years old. Look at the size of those cylinders. I stood inside one on an official visit to the Derby Railway Works back in my schooldays. Great days gorn forever.
Most Gibraltarians are bi-lingual because of spain being so close ! most people have a parent who is / was Spanish , Gibraltar is very British there are pictures of the queen everywhere ( WHY I will never know has she has never visited Gibraltar since 1954 ? Prince Charles was here for his honeymoon with lady Di also Edward & Andrew have been here , There are a lot of things that are cheap here ie fags , petrol there is no such thing as car tax , MOT 's are every 2 years , the bad things the cost of living is very high , the property is very expensive ( BUT NICE ) & of course the Frontier queues which are all the Spanish fault even tho officialy there are over 8000 Spanish that work here in la linea the Spanish have no rights as for cars well there is 1 scrapyard the garages are ridicously expensive but apart from that we have over 300 days a year sunshine
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1634.jpg (142.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0221.jpg (103.9 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0246.jpg (177.4 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0248.jpg (113.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0253.jpg (73.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0236.jpg (184.2 KB, 4 views)
post #93 of 1255 (permalink) Old 05-02-2014, 17:16
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evo_uk View Post
...we have over 300 days a year sunshine
Well, on island Hvar, two hours by boat from Split you have 316 days of sun...
Take a look of few pictures from town where I live:

Sunset over Split and Kastela

Sunset over Kastela bay
post #94 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 05:06

well today I will be completely stripping the foglights , respray the Bezels & generaly clean up the spotlights as the do need it then I may try to fit them , where exactly does the relay fit ? Pictures on how to fit would be appreciated

Last edited by Evo_uk; 07-02-2014 at 06:54. Reason: Added text
post #95 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 11:58 Thread Starter
Supporter

My son MetroMartin on here, put up an illustrated thread when he fitted Front Fogs to his 620ti some years ago. IIRC, he also showed with imnages where to look for the connector for the relay on loom above the drop down drawer. The drawer to the right of the driver's right knee on right hand drive cars. It's on a short spur on the loom in that area.

Look at the connector of the relay to find the appropriate Male/Female matching spur on the loom. Again, IIRC, simply plug it into the vacant connector there. The double Fog Light ( front/rear fogs ) Switch is a straight swap form the single switch on the left of the Instrument Bezel. Again, plug and play.

Cannot find that but found some of Martin's other Fog Light stuff :~

This is the location and one of the three versions of actual Relay I've seen on 600s.

... and this post may also help :~

Finaly got some front head lamp covers! Thanks 'Trainiecollins'

B>>M>>W ....

Last edited by MGJohn; 07-02-2014 at 12:24.
post #96 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 13:54

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
Just a backup for any spillage as will be renewing the thermostat if the weather allows. Got asked for id when buying the antifreeze even though I am astronomically older than 25.

Last edited by denis747; 07-02-2014 at 14:00.
post #97 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 18:21

Just another question; Aircon 620Ti owners, does you temperature gauge needle sometimes drop below the middle area after the car has warmed up, i.e dropping to the lower quarter then returning back to the normal temperature middle mark?

I have a new thermostat that I will be installing anyway, but just want to know if that falling temperature gauge needle is a normal behaviour in the aircon 620ti.
post #98 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 18:28 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
Just another question; Aircon 620Ti owners, does you temperature gauge needle sometimes drop below the middle area after the car has warmed up, i.e dropping to the lower quarter then returning back to the normal temperature middle mark?
Denis that is a sign of a Thermostat which is either faulty or past it's life expiry date.

My favourite 620ti started doing exactly as you describe at the start of this winter. I replaced the Thermostat in the Top Radiator Hose and now temperature gauge is as steady as a rock again once warmed up, like all the others. I've had that car eight years and as far as I know it is/was the original item.

Good test for a failing 'stat. Next time you drive down a long hill, lift off the throttle so engine is not burning any fuel and use the engine to keep speed down, selecting a lower gear if necessary. Watch that needle drop down towards cold and rise again as soon as engine burns fuel again.

B>>M>>W ....

post #99 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 19:17

Quote:
Denis that is a sign of a Thermostat which is either faulty or past it's life expiry date.

My favourite 620ti started doing exactly as you describe at the start of this winter. I replaced the Thermostat in the Top Radiator Hose and now temperature gauge is as steady as a rock again once warmed up, like all the others. I've had that car eight years and as far as I know it is/was the original item.

Good test for a failing 'stat. Next time you drive down a long hill, lift off the throttle so engine is not burning any fuel and use the engine to keep speed down, selecting a lower gear if necessary. Watch that needle drop down towards cold and rise again as soon as engine burns fuel again.
Yes John, it does exactly that, when I lift the throttle when going downhill especially more so now in the winter, just as you have described the needle almost goes down to the lower white mark then returns to the normal middle area when throttle is re-applied on level road.

I have bought the 88C OEM thermostat (waxtat) from Rimmerbros, so I shall install it.
post #100 of 1255 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 19:40

fitted the double fog light switch , whilst I was out I tried to get some spray paint for the Bezels ( No Luck ) tomorrow its a case of fitting the relay for the foglights then once there cleaned up to my specification I will have a go at fitting them , then its on to the SRS light again never worked first time but I am going to try the plug on the left first just like in the video then the one on the right , if it don't work then I know a way it wont light up ( will remove the bulb ) then of course its the luggage lamp see if power is getting there get that working it will be something .

Last edited by Evo_uk; 07-02-2014 at 19:41. Reason: Added text