So, what have you done to your Rover 600 Today? - Page 51 - MG-Rover.org Forums
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 56 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1001 of 1293 (permalink) Old 13-04-2015, 21:56 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmsjr6 View Post

finally got round to replacing the sagging headlining that gave up the ghost after 15 years .Also debadged the rear personally think it makes the car a lot tidier.

Looks good but then I'm prejudiced... Good looking elegant car the 600 ....

All your car now needs is an original equipment factory boot lip spoiler... like these. I know a man who has one going spare.... Let me know if anyone is interested. It will be going on ebay soon.

I also have a fully working 600 electric aerial if anyone needs one for their car. PM for details.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1002 of 1293 (permalink) Old 25-04-2015, 19:39

Car: 618IS silver bullet
alloys and heat shield
post #1003 of 1293 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 22:19

not done yet but ported and polished the throttle body also thinned one edge

post #1004 of 1293 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 06:10
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Last Thursday I changed back box on my exhaust. I installed stainless steal one now.
I have to say I am pretty impressed, as original one from factory lasted 19.5 years. If my MoT time would not be so soon, I would leave original one even some time more, as it was not too bad.
post #1005 of 1293 (permalink) Old 04-05-2015, 23:06

nice little upgrade there roverlike any pics?
post #1006 of 1293 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 18:17
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Here are few pictures of exhaust stainless steel back box:

post #1007 of 1293 (permalink) Old 05-05-2015, 20:19

thats sweet that is bro i had a s/s one on a year or two ago but put a cherry bomb on lol my days work has be to put the tb on and it feels smoother and quicker then before well worth doing
post #1008 of 1293 (permalink) Old 07-05-2015, 17:51

Car: Rover 600
Send a message via MSN to harkins77 Send a message via Skype™ to harkins77
Done a couple of little jobs today.

When I replaced the rear door cards to better looking ones without the material coming off I didn't for an unknown reason reconnect the window switch to the door switch so I had the cards off and connected them up and they are now working.

I've also replaced the electric window master control switch unit as I had been a little rough when removing it and snapped the rear part of the bezel. Luckily I had a spare in the load of parts I bought recently so that was swapped.

And finally the Mrs was complaining of it being hard to get the seatbelt clasp into the socket. Again back into the spares pile and found a working replacement. Only thing I didn't realise was that to replace it it's a seat out job due to access so out came the socket set and within 35 minutes it was swapped over.

I've still got a few little jobs to do like replace the catch on the centre arm rest as one part has snapped therefore not closing the centre console glovebox and I've also got to replace the coin box draw as I accidentally caught it on my leg one day snapping the lugs on it.

I'm hoping the coin box tray is the only part that needs replacing as if it's the whole panel it connects to could mean a bit of a pain to source cheaply.
post #1009 of 1293 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 21:14

Decided to give the cars interior a clean today.

Removed both front seats from the car so I could get full access to the carpet to clean it and also so that I could properly clean the seats all around as well.

Also cleaned the door cards as best I could on the plastics. Still a bit of work to do on them but I need a better cleaner for the plastics. Might try the pink interior plastics cleaner I use to keep the interior of my work truck nice and clean and give it a nice smell.

Works on the plastics really well considering how grubby they get so grime on the grey plastics from years of opening and closing the doors should be a doddle.

It's not cheap but it's good.
http://www.chromecp.com/product.php/5397993/

I just put a little bit onto a kitchen plastic/sponge scourer and rub in various directions then buff it off.
post #1010 of 1293 (permalink) Old 10-05-2015, 22:55

as for me just painted up the wiper arms and changed bulbs for xenon ones thats all for now lol
post #1011 of 1293 (permalink) Old 22-05-2015, 16:19 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up

Following my fitting of two new Track Rod Ends earlier this year, took my favourite 620ti along to Protyre in Gloucester for a tracking check. I had the National Tyres £15 Tracking Offer with me and showed them that asking if they could do a match. They couldn't but, for £20 they could and that is a saving of six quid on their usual price so I gave them a go ahead.

Although I was careful when replacing both TREs, and I could not feel any pull in the steering, thought best to get it checked. Both were a tad Tow Out but, that could have been how they've always been.

Anyway, the steering now feels slightly different ... for the better especially when taking long bends at National Overall Speed Limit. So twenty quid well spent. I shall watch my tyres for any signs of irregular wear... just in case.

My son Martin wants the tracking on his high mileage 620ti checked. I'll take that along next week for a check. He's using one of his "summer" cars now...

EDIT to add @ 00:46:~

Just remembered. The fella working on the Laser Checking device today asked if my car's registration ( T16 TBO ) was a personal plate. He knew what a T16 Turbo was as he had a 420 T-Powered Turbo and currently has an MGZS.

I mention this as over twenty years ago, when I had never heard of a T-Series, my firm stopped us using our own cars for business use travel and supplied hire cars. That first hire car supplied was a dull grey Rover 420. I saw it first on a dark, rainy early November morning when delivered to my house. Did not pay much attention to that car that was until I reached the M5 ready for my long journey north. It was then that I first experienced what a T-Series could do although I had no idea what was under that bonnet at the time. Even so, I was impressed! Stopping off at a services some hundred miles later, I just had to know what was under that bonnet. I lifted it to see what was underneath making that little car go so well. That was the first time I laid eyes on a T-Series Turbocharged Rover engine. I was an immediate convert and have been a keen enthusiast for these turbocharged Rovers ever since. Had my firm not insisted on not using our own cars for business use, I could be driving a BMW now ...

Life can throw the occasional curved ball ... good eh..

B>>M>>W ....

Last edited by MGJohn; 22-05-2015 at 23:46.
post #1012 of 1293 (permalink) Old 25-05-2015, 22:04

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
John, imagine you in a BMW 320D
post #1013 of 1293 (permalink) Old 25-05-2015, 23:54 Thread Starter
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis747 View Post
John, imagine you in a BMW 320D
OMG ... a fate worse than...

Yesterday, decided to tackle the weeping Camshaft Covers on my 620ti which on longer runs, sometimes the oil reaches the hot exhaust manifold and then you get the smell of scorched oil being burnt.

So, gave the area a good spray of 5-95% dilute washing up liquid and followed that a half hour later with a high pressure powerwash of the whole area with the Nilfisk ... good piece of kit that.

This would be the first time in ten years of ownership I've ever removed the camshaft covers on this car and I was pleased to see inside. All was well, nice clean oil and all looked in good shape. Close inspection of the actual seals in the Covers showed most had been compressed, hardened with age and by many heat-cold cycles so were now no longer flexible. Thus unable to provide a good seal.

I had bought a set of new Camshaft Cover seals some months ago ~ meaning to do this job way back then ~ ~ but, could I find those seals, no I could not despite a good look for them. One of the penalties of having too much ... stuff..

So I carefully cleaned up the old seals and the area where they interface with the Camshaft Carriers. Then carefully applied a thin film of PowerBond Black sealant. That will do the job until I locate those new seals... sometime in the next few years ...

B>>M>>W ....

post #1014 of 1293 (permalink) Old 26-05-2015, 21:38 Thread Starter
Supporter

A blast from the past

Took my 620ti to have a mini valet run by some local Romanians. Did a good job for twelve quid. Well pleased car looked good. The boss liked the car and asked if I would be interested to sell ... On the way back, looked in my rear view mirror and saw a Sandglow "Blast from the Past" .... a BMC 1100/1300 looking and going well. See attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015-05-26 R910 CAE Rover 620ti 016.jpg (103.6 KB, 18 views)

B>>M>>W ....

post #1015 of 1293 (permalink) Old 28-05-2015, 20:13

lol do you just carry a cam around with ya lol
post #1016 of 1293 (permalink) Old 29-05-2015, 21:21

Car: 94 620 SLi (R.I.P.), 98 414 LE (R.I.P.), 620Ti
Well today ihave been putting the first coat of red engine enamel on some brand new suspension parts, (lower front arms, and the three lower rear arms both sides).

Should really have masked the bushes off first, cleaning them up was a pita.
post #1017 of 1293 (permalink) Old 31-05-2015, 09:30

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Finally found and replaced the fuse for the stereo and we have sounds again in the 623.
post #1018 of 1293 (permalink) Old 31-05-2015, 12:10

Yesterday changed the cts sensor on the Ti. All went well apart from the plug being upside down when plugged back in and the replacement from Rimmers is slightly different to the one was on the car although I checked and the part number was correct.

Not only that when I had a trip out with the family got stuck in a 2 mile queue of stop start traffic and whilst sat stationary I noticed the temp gauge climbing from normal half way to just below the red line. Luckily I noticed in time and threw the blowers to red hot and full on to draw the heat away from the engine. It worked but I'm definitely a bit worried. The car was running ok and there was plenty of coolant in the car as I'd just topped it up before we left.

I've got to sort another fan to replacement the near side one I had to remove when I fitted the larger intercooler but I'm thinking that I might be able to get 2 9" fans to pull air into the intercooler enough to draw it through to the radiator that the intercooler is in front of.
post #1019 of 1293 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 23:28 Thread Starter
Supporter

Thumbs up

Needing to free up some garage space, I decided to MoT the 620ti I've had stored on SORN since 2013 and prepare it for sale.

Several MoT fails on the sheet, all lack of use related. Big hole in the silencer meant Lambda emissions too high. Both rear Brake Calipers partially seized and also handbrake efficiency down. They are partially seized and sticking even though it will hold the car on quite a steep slope with the handbrake applied. With the rear of the car raised on the ramps, the tester called me over and demonstrated how hard it was to rotate both rear wheels. A sure sign of partially seized Brake Calipers holding the pads against the discs. Both unable to fully release allowing the wheels to rotate freely.

This is the car after a mini valet on the way to arrange the MoT.

I have arranged to have the rear silencer replaced with the OE style one with the Chrome Finishers on the twin exhaust pipes. I took these two images of the holes in the Silencer and its pipe. Both the large hole in the silencer and smaller holes in the pipe are at the lowest part which suggests corrosion in that lowest part from accumulated condensation rotting from the inside out. Until it was laid up and stored SORN, in my and previous ownership it did not have any long runs. Runs long enough for the exhaust gas heat to burn off the condensation which always forms in a cold engine start up.

This is the problem :~

Some time ago, I wondered what to do with three pairs of Rover 600 Rear Brake Calipers which had lost efficiency. Two were in the boot of a 620ti I bought back in 2010. Glad I decided to have a close look at them and with some TLC, got all three pairs' handbrake mechanisms working OK. Rather than try to get the ones on the car to work well enough for the MoT pass, it will be easier for me to swap them both for the ones I TLC refurbished. I will also change the Brake Fluid whilst bleeding those Calipers as the fluid is at least two years old and probably much older. I usually notice an improvement when changing brake fluid when it is not certain how old it is as is the case with this little used car.

I have ten working days to get these jobs done to qualify for a free retest. Then the car will be up for sale.

B>>M>>W ....

post #1020 of 1293 (permalink) Old 02-06-2015, 22:06

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harkins77 View Post
Yesterday changed the cts sensor on the Ti. All went well apart from the plug being upside down when plugged back in and the replacement from Rimmers is slightly different to the one was on the car although I checked and the part number was correct.

Not only that when I had a trip out with the family got stuck in a 2 mile queue of stop start traffic and whilst sat stationary I noticed the temp gauge climbing from normal half way to just below the red line. Luckily I noticed in time and threw the blowers to red hot and full on to draw the heat away from the engine. It worked but I'm definitely a bit worried. The car was running ok and there was plenty of coolant in the car as I'd just topped it up before we left.

I've got to sort another fan to replacement the near side one I had to remove when I fitted the larger intercooler but I'm thinking that I might be able to get 2 9" fans to pull air into the intercooler enough to draw it through to the radiator that the intercooler is in front of.
I think it is doing that because you only have one fan - both two fans are needed. Mine never goes above the half mark (temp gauge) even in a prolonged high boost hill climb in a summer heat wave.

Also was stuck for 5 hours last year, engine on, slow start/stop(extremely annoying) traffic on the M11 (pile up due to an accident caused by about 6 other cars) and the temp gauge remained bang on in the middle, never went above, the car never gave up - other "high end" German (Über rated) cars gave up - can you guess which ones?. I gave up though (weak human ), bursting for a pee , I managed to hold it till the next services and ran up quick to the loo . Some people that couldn't hold it were ******* on the hard shoulder.

Last edited by denis747; 02-06-2015 at 22:52.