There should only be 1x2016 battery in key fob, yes ? - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 20:57 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: Rover 600
There should only be 1x2016 battery in key fob, yes ?

I am just checking because am replacing the buttons and battery in each key fob and the first one I open has 2x2016 batteries in, stacking on top of each other !!!!

Assuming being fed with 6V hasn't fried the fob, I am assuming there should only be 1 battery in the fob ????

cheers
Stu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 21:05

Car: MG ZS
Yes only 1 (3.2v).... jesus.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 16-02-2017, 23:00
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MG ZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2; MG ZT-T x1
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerstu View Post
I am just checking because am replacing the buttons and battery in each key fob and the first one I open has 2x2016 batteries in, stacking on top of each other !!!!

Assuming being fed with 6V hasn't fried the fob, I am assuming there should only be 1 battery in the fob ????

cheers
Stu
Two 3v 2016 always in mine.... for the 600s.

Apparently ... in a parallel universe MGJohn drives .........A.......

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 05:02
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:

cheers
Stu
For the Rover 600 year '99 you should have two (2) CR2016 batteries stack one on top of the other in both your fobs. Fob needs 6V to operate.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 09:07

Car: Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel. Combo Turbo Diesel. Rover 825 V6 Coupe. Merlin Titanium Mountain Bike.
Wink

if you put 2 new ones in, don't forget to write the date on them, because three years from now when you change them again you will be positive you only replaced them 6 months ago!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 17-02-2017, 09:10
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rover V6 Coupe View Post
if you put 2 new ones in, don't forget to write the date on them, because three years from now when you change them again you will be positive you only replaced them 6 months ago!
So very true... Tempus fugit and all that ...

B>>M>>W ....

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 10:11 Thread Starter
Supporter

Ahh right so there *should* be 2x2016s in it then ?! Ok I will try that.
The owners manual only mentions 1, and I am replacing the keyfob buttons as there weren't any in either fob so I had nothing to check the operation of them with.

But ok, I will try 2 and see what happens.....

Cheers
Stu

PS incidentally, the Jags ones lasted about 3 years for the main one and the spare key about 5 years (obviously not used by PO) . so not too bad....
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 18-02-2017, 10:18
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape' & Rover 600
Quote:
Ahh right so there *should* be 2x2016s in it then ?! Ok I will try that.
The owners manual only mentions 1, and I am replacing the keyfob buttons as there weren't any in either fob so I had nothing to check the operation of them with.

But ok, I will try 2 and see what happens.....

Cheers
Stu

PS incidentally, the Jags ones lasted about 3 years for the main one and the spare key about 5 years (obviously not used by PO) . so not too bad....
From which user manual you are reding only 1 battery? Might not be for Rover 600.

This is from Rover 600 post '96 owner manual:

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 21-02-2017, 19:35
Supporter

Used my younger son's Rover 25 yesterday for a shopping trip. The one we bought seven years ago when he was an always nearly penniless student. Bought needing a Cylinder Head Gasket renewal. I try and check his car now and again as unlike my older son, he is not a car enthusiast and needs a prod even to get him to check tyre pressures. The Remote Fob Button was very slow to react. It did respond after several presses of the unlock button. Really pleased how that car drove. Very willing engine and good brakes.

After the trip, fitted ONE new 2032 Battery and vast improvement in both range of remote and immediate button operation. Only needs a light touch on the buttons now. No need for much pressure which often not only wears out the rubber buttons so they break up, but on my recent project, destroyed one of the micro switches in previous ownership... since renewed with careful use of my soldering iron and a couple of micro switches off ebay.

B>>M>>W ....

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 21:15 Thread Starter
Supporter

Many thanks for all your replies!

Firstly, I thought there was only 1 battery needed because instead of looking in the owners manual, I looked in the 'Rover 600 Electrical Library 1996' on page 4.3 where it says : "....Dependent upon use, the CR2016 battery in the handset should last 3 years....To change the battery...."

So 1 battery I thought. But was wrong....

Anyway, I put 2 in one fob and made sure that the +ve was uppermost on both as per the instructions.
The other fob had no batteries in it at all.

Replaced the buttons in both fobs, so they should be errr just like new now ??

Of course, neither remote fob works.
I have unlocked the car using the key, and then tried locking it 4 times with the fob but nothing happens.
Same for the other fob.

Now, as I re-read these battery replacement instructions, it says (in the owners handbook this time!) "Fit the new batteries ensuring correct polarity, +ve side facing up...." and I don't think the old batteries in one of the fobs were +ve side up, I think they were -ve side up.....

So maybe I am misunderstanding which way is up.......??

I'll try swapping them round tomorrow at work and then see if that works. I found without remote locking it's a proper faff in the dark (ok so I have only used the car in the dark once)....

What did make me laugh is that for the Owners Manual, on page 7 it is telling you how to fix your car! (to replace the keyfob batteries).
I never though of looking right at the FRONT of the owners handbook, I looked at the BACK, under 'Maintenance' where of course I didn't find anything about replacing key fob batteries....

cheers
Stu
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 28-02-2017, 23:58
Supporter

Quote:
Many thanks for all your replies!

Firstly, I thought there was only 1 battery needed because instead of looking in the owners manual, I looked in the 'Rover 600 Electrical Library 1996' on page 4.3 where it says : "....Dependent upon use, the CR2016 battery in the handset should last 3 years....To change the battery...."

So 1 battery I thought. But was wrong....

Anyway, I put 2 in one fob and made sure that the +ve was uppermost on both as per the instructions.
The other fob had no batteries in it at all.

Replaced the buttons in both fobs, so they should be errr just like new now ??

Of course, neither remote fob works.
I have unlocked the car using the key, and then tried locking it 4 times with the fob but nothing happens.
Same for the other fob.

Now, as I re-read these battery replacement instructions, it says (in the owners handbook this time!) "Fit the new batteries ensuring correct polarity, +ve side facing up...." and I don't think the old batteries in one of the fobs were +ve side up, I think they were -ve side up.....

So maybe I am misunderstanding which way is up.......??

I'll try swapping them round tomorrow at work and then see if that works. I found without remote locking it's a proper faff in the dark (ok so I have only used the car in the dark once)....

What did make me laugh is that for the Owners Manual, on page 7 it is telling you how to fix your car! (to replace the keyfob batteries).
I never though of looking right at the FRONT of the owners handbook, I looked at the BACK, under 'Maintenance' where of course I didn't find anything about replacing key fob batteries....

cheers
Stu
I wonder, Earlier 600s had a different Remote Fob, quite unlike the later "facelift" cars. Maybe the fob battery instructions relate to that. Yes, later cars
use two 2016 with the -ive side upwards.

Just checked my 1997 600 Owner's handbook. On page 7 it does indeed state +ive UP. Although the diagram drawing alongside shows -ive up. I wonder what orientation they had in mind when writing that. Poor proof reading.

The Handbook calls them Handsets...

By the way, with strong batteries, by placing the "Handset" against your head or face, the "remote" operation is increased ... at least double range. Never really understood why that is. It does though.

B>>M>>W ....

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 07:02

Car: Vauxhall Astra Turbo Diesel. Combo Turbo Diesel. Rover 825 V6 Coupe. Merlin Titanium Mountain Bike.
Us 800 owners have it easy, book says +ve side down on ours.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 21:44 Thread Starter
Supporter

It is indeed +ve side down!
I swapped them around an lunchtime and voila! remote locking and unlocking now works!

The new buttons are good as well, they look just like the originals in the owners handbook, I had to look at the pics to make sure I put the dimply button on the side for locking.

Anyway, sorted, thanks, cheers, end of thread..... ??

Stu
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-04-2017, 17:56 Thread Starter
Supporter

NO! I was wrong!

Operation of remote locking got intermittant and today wouldn't work at all.

So replaced batteries again, and working again, but for how long ??

I have a stock of CR2016 batteries that have been in the garage for about 2 years so perhaps they are the problem ?
Though they should last, they're Panasonic ones and have a use-before date of 2021.

Will I get more than 3 weeks.....