Time for a parking post! - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 19:19 Thread Starter

Car: 618is V 99
Angry Time for a parking post!

I have to sadly use a shared carpark that serves a few houses. As expected people constantly park in my space and the 600 ends up at the front on the road (not in the insurance agreement so not happy), when confronted they always give the same excuse 'just visiting'!

even tried using a huge traffic cone, could only just fit it in the car to get it home. Put it in the space when I took the family to visit my parents today, got back, and unbelievably someone had moved it out of the way and parked there
So no option now but to install a parking post, one with the lock inside the post that folds down.

problem is I've not got the tools to drill the 4 holes and install the bolts into the tarmac. I'm going to have to get Fred in his shed out of the yellow pages to do it for me, I'd guess it's only going to be a quick job but how much do you think would be a fair charge?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 19:26

Car: Rover 25 1.4 SEi Facelift
Fair don't come into it , would think about between 2 and 300
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 19:36

Car: Honda Civic Type-S (05), Honda Accord 2.0i SE (98), Honda Civic 1.4i S Auto (00)
Buy a clamp, put up clamping notice, make some extra wedge.

Seriously though is the space is marked/assigned to you or your property?

Not sure of the cost but would call around several local firms for quotes.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 19:37

Car: 620 Turbo R.I.P
Would it not be cheaper to just buy the tools and do it yourself? That way you could do all your neighbours ones too if the ywant them and charge them to do it!
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 19:47 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonz View Post
Fair don't come into it , would think about between 2 and 300
I'm in the wrong job. I've just picked myself up off the floor. That much for drilling 4 little holes and inserting the bolts???? Christ, I could buy 3 half decent drills for that (if I had that kind of money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_S View Post
Buy a clamp, put up clamping notice, make some extra wedge.

Seriously though is the space is marked/assigned to you or your property?

Not sure of the cost but would call around several local firms for quotes.
Hi Ray, it's assigned to the property. Each space has the house number painted on it that it relates to. There are guest spaces too, but each house has its own designated space. As usual though there's residents untaxed cars in their designated spaces and guest spaces, and most people have 2 or more cars + the non runners and then there's the visitors...........

It's the attitudes that get me, I feel like a schoolboy that's asking for his football back when I go round to peoples houses asking them to move their cars out of my space or asking if it's their visitors that have parked there. Always get a friendly response, and the people I catch after many hours of watching out the window just say 'we're only visiting!', 'we were only here 10 minutes!' ect ect. But to move the traffic cone out the way is about my limit I think, it msut be a parking post now. I was thinking 20 to 30 for a 15-20 minute job
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 19:50 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandad Mobile View Post
Would it not be cheaper to just buy the tools and do it yourself? That way you could do all your neighbours ones too if the ywant them and charge them to do it!
Well, it's a cheap second hand post at around 40, I only need a cheap one as if someone wants to flatten it with their car then they're welcome to, and with my estimated fitting cost (which seems miles out now) at around 20-30 I was looking at 70 in total. The drill would cost that, then the bits then the price of the post. So on a really tight budget this seemed the cheapest way
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 22:05

Car: 600 turbo
Send a message via AIM to pantxxxx
youd get it done for around 30 > 40 pound, if i was close id come round but im too far.
look in the yellow pages for local builders or carpenters.
should take less than an hour and no real special tools needed.
drill
1/2 inch masonary bit
hammer
spanner

make sure you buy some good bolts.
and a good padlock
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 17-05-2009, 22:12

Car: 600 turbo
Send a message via AIM to pantxxxx
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 00:06

Car: 420 SDLi
First thing,are you the house owner and the space part of your freehold?
If yes,then you can do as you like.If no,then you have to be carefull.
As to fixing,if it's tarmac I'm not sure you'll have much to bolt to,if the tarmac is just layed over hardcore it'll be like trying to fix a bolt into the beach.
A better way would be cut a neat square of tarmac out,dig a hole and fix studs in with postcrete.You just pour water in hole then tip the postcrete in and it goes off in 10 minutes.
Get a bit of ply or chipboard and drill holes in to match your post.Mark ground where edge of wood should be and screw nuts onto studs at height they will end up.Pour in postcrete,drop board over hole and push studs through quickly.
When it goes off,it may be less than 10 minutes so don't hang about,you remove nuts and fix post.
Postcrete about 5 a bag,studding from Screwfix.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...rchbutton.y=14

Looking at the post in link above,you'd need a hole anyway but I'd use a small bag of concrete mix to give you more time,on the plus side you've got the post base as a guide for the studs.

Last edited by Fodenman; 18-05-2009 at 00:20.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 05:05
Administrator

Car: 2006 330d M Sport
Garages
Fodenman is right on the money - there is no point in fixing the post to the tarmac, there is no strength in it like that.

You need a concrete pad to affix to - postcrete will be ideal.

Cutting your neat square in the tarmac is going to be your problem......
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 09:51 Thread Starter

Hi guys,

thanks for the replies,

I used 'tarmac' as a lose term, after what you've said I've checked and it isn't tarmac, but, following the advice I may still have the same problem as I don't know if the base is deep enough as it's a fairly new build (about 2 years). It's a rented space as is the property and permission has been given to install it this morning but they didn't say anything about the depth of the base so I'll have to get someone to drill a test hole I think to check. I hope it's going to be ok, if not it'll be the postcrete route.

Thanks for pointing that out. Thanks all
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 17:15

Car: Rover 620ti
Id put a post into the offending houses drive way and lock their car IN whilst your at it!
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 18:22 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk View Post
Id put a post into the offending houses drive way and lock their car IN whilst your at it!
lol, trouble is they've got a non runner in their space and they switch between whichever guest space they feel like with their daily runner, their guests usually end up in my space

I'm calmer now but at the time I was tempted to block it in with my car when it was in my space on Sunday after they moved the traffic cone to get into it and let the police make me move it as a protest. Got to be rational about it though, no point fighting over something that's already happened. Trouble is with shared carparks with reserved spaces anywhere this will always happen as half the population is so damn ignorant and selfish, there's no solution to this kind of problem, only a prevention. It's a shame you can't even trust people to leave your space free so you can get your young kids out of the car. Really looking forward to getting this parking post in now. No doubt someone will come up with a plan to 'accidently' clip it and claim damages from me or it will end up being drawn on and made to look like a 2ft c**k. Still, one day I'll have a house with my very own driveway and even better, with a garage!
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 18:40

Car: Rover 620ti
I did the exact same thing the other day except the person in question was taking up about 2 1/2 spaces. I left my ti perpendicular behind them so there was no way of getting out without coming and asking me to move (thanks to the note I left saying who owned the car), giving me my opportunity to ask why the ****** they had parked like such a fool!
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 18-05-2009, 20:16

Car: Rover 623GSi deceased
Try one of these ebay 110306119499
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-05-2009, 18:55 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk View Post
I did the exact same thing the other day except the person in question was taking up about 2 1/2 spaces. I left my ti perpendicular behind them so there was no way of getting out without coming and asking me to move (thanks to the note I left saying who owned the car), giving me my opportunity to ask why the ****** they had parked like such a fool!
Wouldn't work with this lot, sadly they don't care. For 3 years I've had this and believe me every thought of revenge has gone through my mind but do I get locked up for smashing some cocky chav in the mouth? nah, let them be ignorant selfish chavs if that's how they want to be, but someone has to draw the line. It's all rented by the same landlord, I don't mind admiting it's housing association, it's where I met my wife. Don't get me wrong I work my bo***s off paying for it (which includes my parking space) The agrement states that I have access 24/7 to my parking space and as far as I'm concerned I hold my landlord to blame because they're not providing that, even though it's because other people park there.

They wanted to send out the 'rules and regulations' of using the carpark to everyone in the area as that would make everyone stop parking in my space. Not quite how it works when you live here sadly. I explained to the landlord in very simple terms that my insurance on my car states that it is parked over night in a car park, and if I have to leave it parked on the road because I can't access my parking space and it gets nicked or damaged and the insurance doesn't pay out then I'd be hammering them for costs as it's their fault and their failing for not sticking to the tennancy agreement. Got an instant approval for the parking post. Might be worth trying for anyone that's in the same situation. To be honest, sticking a parking post up is far better than sticking my foot up their arse as they can't do jack all back now. It'll be intersting seeing how the hell this lot is going to manage to park now that my space is off the list of options.

Edit: forgot to mention 4 houses in our square are related (that's around 50% of residents are just one big family) don't really want to bring that kind of carp to my familys doorstep as it's only me the wife and our 2 kids

House swap anyone? lol

Last edited by Lincs1; 19-05-2009 at 19:05.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-05-2009, 19:07

Right,this is the one.No big holes to dig and you can take it with you if you move.
It's got built in lock and if that's it at the top,then no grovelling ing the dark with padlocks.
Ring Peterborough for stock and pop down and have a look.

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...n-parking-post
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-05-2009, 19:23 Thread Starter

That's the exact same psot I'm looking at 2nd hand,

we're on the same wave length,

would it be ok to install regardless of the carpark surface depth?
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 19-05-2009, 20:05 Thread Starter

Right, just had an email back from the seller off ebay and it's mine at 45, I'll complete on Tuesday, and I hope nobody minds but if I can get somebody to put it straight in, I'm going to post pics as a victory dance lol against every damn sodding scum chav that's made my life hell for the last 3 years!!!!!!!! difficult to understand if you don't have to live your life by shared carpark rules but if you do then you'll know what I mean!
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 22-05-2009, 08:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincs1 View Post
That's the exact same psot I'm looking at 2nd hand,

we're on the same wave length,

would it be ok to install regardless of the carpark surface depth?
You've said it's not tarmac but not what it is.
If you have concrete,I think the minimum depth for vehicle use is 100mm but it could be anything.If they took the lazy way and used the readymix to level it then you could have 75mm one end and 130mm the other.
As you're aiming for a cone that can't be moved rather than protection from ram raiders (not yet anyway,lol) then 75mm should be enough.
If you're looking at variable depth and quality of concrete I would use 12mm studs in 14mm holes fixed with resin.If you drill through the slab into the hardcore then you stuff some wet paper in the bottom of the hole to contain the resin till it goes off.You then have a high strength,low stress fixing.
If you get someone to do it you're in his hands.
You could do it your self for around 60 including buying a SDS drill that you'd then have for life.
I've got a keyed drill chuck that fits to mine that,when fitted with a screwdriver bit,wacks 5 inch screws into fence posts no probs.

Last edited by Fodenman; 22-05-2009 at 09:09.