97 vintage MGF 1.8 MPi rescue - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 19:38 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
97 vintage MGF 1.8 MPi rescue... No longer mine..sold.

Now at a new home in Leicester ................ sold through ebay.

Was originally only after the front wings but it just seemed too good to be allowed to go for breaking or scrap so am now the second owner of this 1997 MGF 1.8i which of course is Tahiti Blue. This is her after my having robbed the wheels off the VVC project due to a blow out on the rear on the way home with her last Friday evening :-

She came with normal 6 spoke MGF alloys with Pirelli P6000 on the front and Avon ZV5's on the rear.

With the faithful Hound. Yes the N/S tail trim IS missing.

I would load more but Photobucket is being a right ucking nightmare right now.

Last edited by plezier; 14-08-2016 at 16:20.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 21:42

Car: Rover 25
looks beautiful, why was it being broken for spares?
Any plans
post #3 of 88 (permalink) Old 04-02-2014, 21:43

Car: Rover 25
ive always wanted an mgf but dont know how id cope with 2 seats and the girl wants me to have 5 lol

post #4 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 01:10 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajpink2 View Post
looks beautiful, why was it being broken for spares?
Any plans
Photobucket is still playing up but with some refreshing after every url copy we can continue sooooooooooooooooooooo:-

In answer to your question it was finance. In London where the car lived one has to PAY to park on the street. Last year this permit cost 90 and it ran out Jan 31st as did the Road tax, the MOT runs out on the 9th Feb and his insurance on the 15th Feb. For the MOT it required:-

N/S/R sill welding
O/S/F track rod end
Two new rear tyres
O/S/R suspension sphere replacing

I believe that Martin had to rely upon garages for the work so we are looking at a lot of money and during his 17 years of ownership his average annual mileage works out at 4,000 miles P/A. There are other reasons for his not needing a car for some time so even if he had paid all this out then the car would have sat idle for some months.

As they are pretty hot on removing cars with no permits or expired ones the MGF HAD to go by Friday. Hence if no one could take it it had to go for scrap.

There are some body work issues that will need sorting out. It seems some take pleasure is trying to trash others cars:-

Looks like it's been kicked to my untrained eyes.

Some one has had a go at the petrol cap it seems.

Drivers door.

Passenger side of bonnet.

This is the N/S/R wing. So it needs the attention of a tin/paint man. The arm rest and cubby hole leather cover has come adrift:-

and the rear window has a split/hole in it. The cream leather is really in need of a good clean as close up it's quite grubby as is the hood but that is something a bit of time and effort can sort out hopefully.

So you see it needs a bit of TLC and it will take a bit of time to get it all done.
post #5 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 05:54

Car: MGZTcdti/MG Montego Turbo/MG Montego EFi/MGF
Nice, was that the one on L-bay in lincs?
post #6 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
Nice, was that the one on L-bay in lincs?
No this one was in the classified on the MGF Register forums.

The VVC in the other project thre as was at Welton Le Marsh in Lincolnshire few weeks back. Same colour ....Tahiti Blue.... so I expect some confusion. The wheels are off that one due to a blow out on the rear on the way home.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512018071...84.m1423.l2649

Was that the dreaded bay one you saw?

If so that is the VVC project it required a replacement front sub frame.
post #7 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 14:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by plezier View Post
No this one was in the classified on the MGF Register forums.

The VVC in the other project thre as was at Welton Le Marsh in Lincolnshire few weeks back. Same colour ....Tahiti Blue.... so I expect some confusion. The wheels are off that one due to a blow out on the rear on the way home.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1512018071...84.m1423.l2649

Was that the dreaded bay one you saw?

If so that is the VVC project it required a replacement front sub frame.
Wasn't that one. It was an S reg in Tahiti blue with cream leather on L-bay which is a facebook page for selling in the Lincs area. Was up for 600
post #8 of 88 (permalink) Old 07-02-2014, 19:33 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Turbo View Post
Wasn't that one. It was an S reg in Tahiti blue with cream leather on L-bay which is a facebook page for selling in the Lincs area. Was up for 600
HOW Much??????????????????????????

Way out ............................ Ahhh say way out ..................... of my price range !

LOL.

I stopped using facebook when I gave up playing the game that I played with a group that I got to know on-line. The developers got greedy so I said Stuff em.

Anyway the MPi is now all pumped up and has had the headlights set up on the beam machine. 4 Wheel laser alignment done will see the chap again about the sill repair for the MOT.

Hmmm it seems that I forgot to post about the dreaded HGF. Monday whilst cleaning the car had her running at idle on the drive with blowers on to demist her after the pressure washing and she started to run rough. Chugging away ................. now I know the petrol was low and first thought it might be that then looked up to see all the white steam out of the exhaust.

Damn HGF.

Turned her off and opened the boot to see the coolant expansion tank empty. Checked dip stick and it was way up and looked like hot chocolate .................................... Buggerit!

All fixed now thanks to Steve from "Rover Mobile Mechanics" better known here as Dave & Kayleigh. Steve came Wednesday morn early to do the job.

There you go.

While Steve was here the courier brought the replacement rear suspension sphere which I fitted Thursday morning before the rain arrived.

So it's coming along. Seems strange to drive it with suspension as it was really down before. Today when driving about to see about the sill welding and dent repairs the temp gauge started dropping them coming back up then it packed in altogether. Just sits on cold. Tried the bleed points and get coolant out of all of them. Will read up of the correct bleeding procedure but ti might be the sensor had given up the ghost.
post #9 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-02-2014, 13:13

Quote:
HOW Much??????????????????????????

Way out ............................ Ahhh say way out ..................... of my price range !

LOL.

I stopped using facebook when I gave up playing the game that I played with a group that I got to know on-line. The developers got greedy so I said Stuff em.

Anyway the MPi is now all pumped up and has had the headlights set up on the beam machine. 4 Wheel laser alignment done will see the chap again about the sill repair for the MOT.

Hmmm it seems that I forgot to post about the dreaded HGF. Monday whilst cleaning the car had her running at idle on the drive with blowers on to demist her after the pressure washing and she started to run rough. Chugging away ................. now I know the petrol was low and first thought it might be that then looked up to see all the white steam out of the exhaust.

Damn HGF.

Turned her off and opened the boot to see the coolant expansion tank empty. Checked dip stick and it was way up and looked like hot chocolate .................................... Buggerit!

All fixed now thanks to Steve from "Rover Mobile Mechanics" better known here as Dave & Kayleigh. Steve came Wednesday morn early to do the job.

There you go.

While Steve was here the courier brought the replacement rear suspension sphere which I fitted Thursday morning before the rain arrived.

So it's coming along. Seems strange to drive it with suspension as it was really down before. Today when driving about to see about the sill welding and dent repairs the temp gauge started dropping them coming back up then it packed in altogether. Just sits on cold. Tried the bleed points and get coolant out of all of them. Will read up of the correct bleeding procedure but ti might be the sensor had given up the ghost.
Coming on then, I don't play any games on facebook but do look at L bay as there are some cheap things on there
post #10 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:56 Thread Starter

Belated update.

Thursday, day after the gasket replacement, I changed the O/S/R suspension displacer sphere, a right awkward so an so to get the old one out once it was all unbolted and disconnected, but funnily enough the replacement slipped straight in................................... Weird.

The very first tower clamp bolt that I tried to undo the head started to round off due to rust despite sing a full hex socket ....................... Doh!..... so out came the new Irwin sockets and it came undone with no effort hardly. Good investment they were. Must get the rest of the set as I only bought the started pack of Five sockets. The tower clamp was rusted so used one off the front sub frame that had been shot blasted clean then painted. Will get the rusty one cleaned up and painted soon.

Now we had a good sphere fitted it was time to get it pumped up. Managed to get it done Friday morning at Tempests of Stickney and he also set the head light adjustments on the machine which cost 45 all in. Then off to get some fuel as it was low and on up the hill to Spilsby to B.A. Bush for the 4 wheel laser alignment.

Spent time Sunday cleaning the leather interior bits. Removing 17 years of accumulated grime. Now need to get some repair stuff for the scuffed bits to restore the finish. This was the first test of the cleaning:-

Quite a marked difference. The problem I discovered when cleaning was that we have wet carpets behind both seats by the sills and the passenger foot well is soaking. Will need to remove the interior, seats, carpets and sound proofing matting to dry it out and clean up any mess. Not what i want right now.

Meanwhile have just been out in the frost to de-ice and check all the lights as am taking her for her MOT in a bit.
post #11 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 14:56 Thread Starter

Dratt it she failed

Requires two rear brake pipes that feed the rear calipers and the O/S/R top ball joint has excessive pay. Probably caused by that failed hyrdagas sphere. Luckily I bought two top ball joints to fit to that subframe so already have one to hand. Now just have to get it fitted.........................
post #12 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 17:45

Car: zr + mgf
Are you doing all the work yourself???
post #13 of 88 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 19:45 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
Are you doing all the work yourself???
Only the top ball joint which is all fitted and back together. The brake pipes and welding will be down to the garage. Used to be able to MIG weld but have not done so for many years and when I tried the welder it's packed in. Don't think they will help under warranty as it's 28 years old ..............................

Might take up a welding course if I can find a decent one reasonable but no hurry. Have enough to do elsewhere on the F's.
post #14 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 05:02

Car: zr + mgf
Quote:
Only the top ball joint which is all fitted and back together. The brake pipes and welding will be down to the garage. Used to be able to MIG weld but have not done so for many years and when I tried the welder it's packed in. Don't think they will help under warranty as it's 28 years old ..............................

Might take up a welding course if I can find a decent one reasonable but no hurry. Have enough to do elsewhere on the F's.
Just interested as I'm starting work on mine but losing my garage means I'm very weather defendant. Never a good thing
post #15 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-02-2014, 09:54 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimeTime View Post
Just interested as I'm starting work on mine but losing my garage means I'm very weather defendant. Never a good thing
Likewise have no garage that can use so it's in the open on the drive. To make matters worse it's a gravel over mud drive. Am hoping to pave an area with council slabs as they are a bit stronger than the decorative types.

The weather here today is foul. Wind is quite high and very keen, so one gets chilled quickly, and it's raining once again. It's even too cold to finish painting the sub frame for which the paint as arrived for. Ran out earlier so had to stop. Just checked and it's only 4 degrees C outside. Needs to be above 5 degrees really and more would be better for the painting.

Edit:- Later we had hail then sleet and even a bit of snow. At least I got the MPi booked in for it's surgery tomorrow afternoon. 3pm she gets operated on.

Last edited by plezier; 11-02-2014 at 19:25.
post #16 of 88 (permalink) Old 13-02-2014, 17:15 Thread Starter

Blow me down what next ..Door handle stopped working

Have been working on her this afternoon preparing to replace the corroded brake pipes so got her up on axle stands. Have three new copper pies to fit both rears to the flexis on the calipers and the front to rear. So cracked off the rear one for the valve which was quite easy then onto the rear. Cleaned them off with a wire brush and gave them a dousing with plusgas but the corrosion is too bad and the hexagons are well rotted so will have to cut the pipes and replace the flexible hoses to the calipers.

To access the pipes in the engine of course the engine cover heeded to come off so the hold the rear of the hood up I used the passenger seat belt shut in the door to do so. This was fine until the light was fading so time to pack tools away and close her down for the night and the damned outer handle on the passenger door no longer works.

Am beginning to wonder if this car wants to be fixed or not.

Now to order two new flexi hoses and it will have to be on-line as locally there are nearly double the price. OK if local I can get them tomorrow but have spent enough already as I have been told so by pot it will have to be.
post #17 of 88 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 05:57

Quote:
To access the pipes in the engine of course the engine cover heeded to come off so the hold the rear of the hood up I used the passenger seat belt shut in the door to do so. This was fine until the light was fading so time to pack tools away and close her down for the night and the damned outer handle on the passenger door no longer works.
I use these to hold the hood up, much easier. Wrap one rond a mirror and hook on to it with another
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-x-Bungee...item51ada83e30

Last edited by Jeff Turbo; 14-02-2014 at 06:43.
post #18 of 88 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 09:19 Thread Starter

Yep bungees are good and there should be a couple around here but have not bought any for years now. Will have to have a go at taking the door card off and see what is what inside. It needed to come off at some point to have a look at that window as it wobbles about when opening and closing can be a bit of a problem due to this wobbling.

Hopefully I can also get the bonnet release cable fitted.

Whilst under the rear of her noticed that the cat's heat shield is in really poor condition, that might be the noise sometimes and that the silence is starting to rust through in one spot. Better get saving and selling off some stuff to get a new exhaust. The silencer has Unipart stamped on the side, not sure if it's the original or not. The flexi has lost it's weave heat shield so looks like we are looking at almost a complete system here.
post #19 of 88 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 20:25

Car: Rover 200 (84-90)
Send a message via MSN to Jacinto
Well done! It will look very smart after some work.
post #20 of 88 (permalink) Old 15-02-2014, 13:00 Thread Starter

Thank you the weather is a bit rough still but in a lull this morning managed to get these fitted:-

Nice shiny Goodrich hoses.

The O/S bleed nipple would not budge and even a 12mm full hex socket spun on it. So Irwin to the rescue once again. Tapped the Irwin socket ontot eh bleed nipple so it got a bite the just unscrewed it. Used a nipple out of the spare front calipers to replace it until new ones can be sourced.

The old rubber flexible hoses were passed their best:-

Not much hexagon left of the ferrule.

The flexible hose metal end is well rusted too. Well rounded off bake pipe ferrule.

As there was little too no chance of getting the metal pipes undone due to rust I just chopped them through with big wire cutters. Now if the weather would just ease up perhaps could get the copper lines fitted.