97 vintage MGF 1.8 MPi rescue - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 09:03 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Thanks.

Have been looking at the gear lever with shortening in mind and have a few thoughts on which way to do that and retain the full length of thread at the top....................................... but that can wait a bit as the more important things need to be done first.

Also need to get the stereo sorted as it seems the problem is the lead connecting the plug tot eh rear of the unit that IS the problem and not the wiring to the doors as I first thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 11:22

Car: MGF VVC, Jaguar XJ-S V12, Saab 9-5 Aero Estate
I cut mine down beyond the thread and wrapped where the gearknob sits in insulating tape so that it's now an interference fit - it has worked perfect for the last 2+ years!
post #43 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-03-2014, 22:01 Thread Starter

I want to retain the 10mm thread but no rush on that.

Today did the Oil & Filter change recommended after the H/g replacement a few weeks back. Just checked and we have done 845 miles since then.

Whilst doing that discovered that I need to replace the coolant hose from the bottom of the expansion tank to the engine as it's been rubbing on the filler neck and this has caused a flat which has weakened the hose ................................. Hmmm not good that.

Also found that the rust blister that I noticed on the exhaust has started to go through. Only apin hole at the moment but it won't get smaller. Damn means that the exhaust will have to be replaced sooner than expected.

Just won a replacement N/S mirror and a MG mesh windstop on the bay. Although the N/S mirror works and is intact it looks like someone tried to set fire to it and it looks pretty rank.

Now we have to look for an exhaust in earnest and not out of a "want" it's now moving up to "need".

Meanwhile "Blue 33" had her top down today and went had two little spins out in her with it down ................................... very plesent indeed .

post #44 of 88 (permalink) Old 20-03-2014, 09:36 Thread Starter

Due to other cars requiring a bit of time "Blue 33" has not had much done except the be driven. Oh yes apart from getting a replacement N/S mirror in the right colour to replace the burnt one.

However still do be done is:-

1) Flush cooling system

2) get and fit new expansion tank outlet hose

3) change underfloor pipes for the stainless ones propped up in the garage and fitt eh stainless screws to the pipes and under pan..

4) Fill with new coolant and bleed system

5) Take out seats and re-fit carpets.

6) Sort out stereo wiring as left channel only works sometimes.

7) Fit windstopper (bought one off e-bay with fittings for 34 )

8) Change front bumper.

9) Get some wheel for her rear end and tyres of course so VVC can have her wheel back.

So still plenty to do.
post #45 of 88 (permalink) Old 20-03-2014, 12:03

Car: 25 / ZR
You have one hell of an expensive project on your hands. Great satisfaction though once it is completed and all that hard work pays off. Wonderful project. Will be following.

Oops, you have two of these cars lol. Meant this for the other one then.
post #46 of 88 (permalink) Old 20-03-2014, 20:42 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananaLagan View Post
You have one hell of an expensive project on your hands. Great satisfaction though once it is completed and all that hard work pays off. Wonderful project. Will be following.

Oops, you have two of these cars lol. Meant this for the other one then.
Ahhh yes it was not the original intention to do and have two. The VVC came first and I viewed this MPi "Blue 33" as a possible source of parts ............................ namely front wings. However it was too good to break up so I have two on the go. At least I was able to get "Blue 33" tested and on the road but it has put the VVC project behind schedule some what.

As for the cost well the pair cost me 420 so we started out low.
post #47 of 88 (permalink) Old 24-03-2014, 00:43 Thread Starter

VVC alloy rims

Well my problem about what to do with the rear alloys is solved. Have just secured a set of 15" VVC alloy rims. Not bought blind either as had a look at them on Friday evening. So once o pick them up it's a case of getting two rear tyres the VVC project can have her LE Multispoke wheels back.
post #48 of 88 (permalink) Old 25-03-2014, 01:32 Thread Starter

Dagmagbit

Clutch suddenly felt very stiff and heavy .............................. yep release arm was seizing up. Got under her with can of maintenance spray and bi cresent wrench. Freed it off some then sprayed it with white areosol grease. Much better now.

Wonder how long it will last though.
post #49 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 08:25 Thread Starter

Update

"Blue 33" has been running fine but pushed to the back whilst other things and "Elsie" got the attention. However things have been moving slowly gathering bits and arranging work to be done.

"Blue 33" is now booked into the body shop at the beginning of September to have her N/S/R quarter repaired and the sill repair done properly to replace the bodged up MOT repair. Her rear quarters are fairly well marked and dented from living on the street in Richmond. Also acquired a front splitter for her and Stuart will be fitting this and painting it as well. He will mount it and bond and bolt the splitter then spray it all to match.

Have also found a place local that car re-furbish the seats for a reasonable price. "Blue 33's"are just scuffed so it's not too hard a job but we are going for a complete clean and match so the seats etc match the door cards and console bits so due to this strip down she is SORNED for a while and hopefully we can do some of the other bits at this time too like fit the new stereo unit and if I can wangle it the new exhaust to replace the original which is going home now.

Last edited by plezier; 30-08-2014 at 02:27.
post #50 of 88 (permalink) Old 30-08-2014, 13:22 Thread Starter

Well she is at the body shop ready for Monday. Having both rear quarters done. Should have her back in a week. He is busy so this is a fit in job hence allowing a week.
post #51 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-09-2014, 09:06 Thread Starter

Will update with some new photos later but in the mean time "Blue 33" now has a more sporty non leaking exhaust fitted. Whilst not a Stainless one it works well and sounds more like a sports car now and unlike a school run mums euro-box.

The rear box is the GTX mild steel one that was on "Elsie" the VVC when she arrived here but which was changed for the MOT as one hanger had come adrift, this has since been re-welded into place, I also used the down/front pipe off "Elsie" as the flanges needed truing up due to weld splatter and distortion. After draw filing them flat for the gaskets to seal against the exhaust no longer leaks so we have lost the popping and banging on over run.

Did come across a small problem when changing it over as noticed a rust bubble on the boot floor drivers side. When I scraped at it with a cold chisel it became a hole so this will need repairing. Plus the heat shield broke due to being brittle so need to get some heat reflecting material to affix to the boot floor under the car.................................. but we are making progress all be it slowly on getting her back to how she should be.
post #52 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-09-2014, 11:09 Thread Starter

Body work/paint update

Well "Blue 33" now has far less dents than before and two decent rear edge sills:-

That was the abortion done by a local garage for the MOT pass last February and would you believe it took the chap nearly three hours to make that mess!!!

Anyway it now looks like this:-

The O/S also had rust bubbling which has now been removed and repaired:-

The rest is better from this:-

To this:-

but not perfect so the small dents missed and paint imperfections are being sorted in late October at the same time as the boot floor is repaired and the boot lid, rear panel and bumper are also re-painted.

Am not sure what happened but this is NOT up to his usual standard of work. When I collected the car it had been out side over the weekend and it had rained so was dirty with dust craters from the rain and the faults and imperfections could not be seen. It was not until I washed the car using G3 pre wash that they were noticeable. Having spoken to the painter this is not a problem and it was me that suggested waiting so he could do the other panels at the same time.
post #53 of 88 (permalink) Old 23-09-2014, 20:09 Thread Starter

Time to replace the damaged front bumper..at last.

Decided it was time well over due to replace her front bumper. By the N/S indicator was a hole which looks to have been made by a tow bar???

On removing the bumper it was a shock to discover that this had not been a mild bump and that the armature was bent:-

Am wondering now considering the rest of the dents in her body work if this was deliberate? Anyway as luck would have it the one from the Blue VVC donor is in good condition so that was cleaned and fitted:-

using new stainless nuts and bolts.

Once the old one was off it was a good time to clean under it and inspect the radiator condition. It looks like at some point she has had a replacement fitted:-

Also fitted the bonnet catch guard form the donor as hers was brutalised on the road side when the bonnet cable snapped on the way home with a blow out.

Before fitting the bumper off the donor VVC I measured up the centre line and offered up the splitter that I acquired in part trade for the VVC engine. Then once in the right place drilled the bumper and bolted it in place:-

The lower aperture mesh is the original sprayed silver. The top mesh is stainless.

As you can see I had my helper with me. No bonding stuff was used as it has to come off for the splitter and bumper to be sprayed at some point in the not too distant future. Next job is to replace the under floor pipes, along with an oil and filter change.
post #54 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 19:58 Thread Starter

Am experimenting with colours for the side vents. Currently one is in metallic silver which is a safe bet with the Tahiti Blue. The other is in Broom yellow which I like. Wil have to see which gets the most favourable comments but as I like the Yellow and have used it elsewhere like the caliper brackets I might just go with more yellow and after all Yellow does go with Blue!!! Oh yes also have a nice set of Yellow PVC covered S/S braided brake hoses for the front and rear.

Will get some photos taken and post them up soon.

Meanwhile the interior is getting more done to it and hopefully a working stereo. The Pioneer unit that has always been in her is well .............................................. knackered. Shame.

She also had a car phone in her so out with the console and tunnel and have removed the phone and it's gubbins and now have an ash tray fitted, chrome one at that, just need some one who is wiring savvy to restore the ISO connector tot eh wiring so another head unit can be fitted.

The drivers door has been swapped, wish I never bothered now all the hassle that has been. Once the car is locked now about an hour or so later the alarm goes off and I have no idea why this should be. Was fine before.

Today also clayed her. The most surprising things was that the mirco blisters in the lacquer on the bonnet were not that at all and have been removed by the claying effect. I know she came from south London but I didn't realise just how contaminated her paint was. She looks better for it and a polish and wax that's for sure.
post #55 of 88 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 15:27 Thread Starter

Photo update +

Still have no working stereo as what they did to the wiring loom has confused the heck out of me. So need someone familiar with modern stereos and wiring to sort that little lot out. However did get the centre console and tunnel painted and fitted:-

Along with the air bag blank and binnacle face so they all match. The binnacle face and centre console had been painted silver and in fact they came out of "Elsie" originally. Whilst it did break up all the black the silver just did not look in keeping with the rest of the interior which is cream leather with dark blue piping. This at least to my eyes is more harmonious although I suspect some will not like it. Shame the paint is gloss a matt or semi matt would have been better.

Also here are the coloured air vents:-

Silver

and Broom Yellow

The splitter:-

Am wondering if this should also be painted to match the air vents and calipers and caliper carriers?????

Need to hoover the interior as there grass cuttings everywhere. They claim the colour of the paint is Sand Beige yet it's come out cream...................... weird.
post #56 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 08:32

Car: TF 115
Looking very good indeed, very impressed with the quality of work your doing as well as the quality of updates your providing.

Personally the yellow doesnt work with the combination of the interior, and as such prefer the silver. I would also say that going silver works so well with that blue that you could also paint the splitter silver, which would look absolutely smashing.

Loving the interior, very nice.

Your giving me all manner of ideas on what to do for my next TF, which will hopefully be at the end of this year.
post #57 of 88 (permalink) Old 06-10-2014, 12:48 Thread Starter

Hmmmm interesting comment on the interior fitting in with the Yellow. For some reason the digital photos make the interior more White than Cream. I did suggest to the sprayer that the centre console really needs a Royal Blue line around the outer edge to match the piping on the seats. Which is something I may try with a stick on pin stripe if I can find one the right size and colour.

The photos also don't show the blemishes. The centre console is actually cracked on one side. Sadly finding one undamaged with the tabs in place for the gear gaitor seems to be a bit of a mission.

Once the seats are restored to repair the scuffs and wear patches it will look even better and probably show the carpets up.. It's a never ending spiral ....................... fix one thing then fix/replace the next bit that is now shown up by the last restoration or repair.

There is still time to consider the final colour as I have to save up for the spray job.

Edit:- Have just spoken to the sprayer and to add the sweeping stripe intot eh paint job would cost about 80-100 ....................... hmmm more to think about. Funnily enough e has a bright yellow 1980 MGB in the shop at the moment.

Last edited by plezier; 06-10-2014 at 14:22.
post #58 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 01:22 Thread Starter

Slight change in plans due to rodents. Opened the boot today to find the little blighters have chewed into my nice cream tonnaeu cover. Obvious getting in through that hole in the floor so will speak to the body man as soon as possible and get her in for this floor fix.

Bloody Mice have gotten in and chewed my nice Cream Tonneau cover. I know there is a hole in the fllor as I made it when scraping some rust bubbles but did not expect this nor the water in there.

It's obviously been wet and leaking for a long time so now we have to discover where it's leaking. From the look of the boot carpet it might be the O/S rear light so that's where we will start by removing the light and checking the seal then re-sealing it.

Hung the boot liner/carpet up on the garage door in the sun and that's already dried out with the warmth and breeze.

Once the floor is plated up will run seam sealer around any likely looking spots as well.
post #59 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-10-2014, 06:10

Car: MGZTcdti/MG Montego Turbo/MG Montego EFi/MGF
I see you've had a few guests ruining your hard work, but it's getting there.
The car looks much better and good progress.
post #60 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 04:07 Thread Starter

Well have found the leak in the boot ................................ it's the O/S rear light for sure. Just popped out and opened the boot to check for uninvited guests and saw it running like a small faucet into the boot from that right corner so in the daylight later this (Sunday) morning, weather permitting will take the rear light out and have a look at the seal and see what we can do with it.

"Elsie" the BRG VVC runs out of road tax at the end of the month so will sorn her and tax "Blue 33" so need to get this boot winter proof. Can then get "Elsie" up and fit her new shocks and renew some more bushes in the rear.

Mickey and friends are a constant battle out here what with all the late crop harvesting they are made homeless so try to move in anywhere they can and they LOVE PVC and insulation.

Last edited by plezier; 12-10-2014 at 04:41. Reason: Typo and spelling