Of course I now discover that new boot floors are available ............................... Doh! if I had known wold have gone for that route of complete replacement ........ Oh well.
Well her N/S/F wheel bearing has been droning a bit. Mentioned as being a bit rough last February at the MOT it was time to replace the worn bearing. One was ordered from MG-Obession through their ebay shop and it arrived quickly so enquiries were made at several garages about fitting said bearing to the hub.
Original plan was to take in a spare hub and soak the nuts and pinch bolt in penetrating fliud prior to removal. Prices for fitting the bearing varied widely but chose a garage we have not used before as it's next door to the paint shop and time to make new "friends" who can provide services which we are not equipped for like this bearing change.
A delay occured due to thier already booked in work so when I was hoping to pick up it was still not touched and as the hub came off a lot easier than I expected I swapped them over at his work shop so the new bearing has been pressed into her original hub and not my spare one..
Hub off. The bottom ball joint although I cold feel no play seemed a little easy to move so it was replaced.
First step centre drill the rivetts. The open up the drill hole until the head can be sheared off with a cold chisel of it comes off on the drill bit.
Then the rivett can be punched through with a pin punch of suitable size. The inner most rivett is the problem one as one cannot get the drill on properly in line so a little care is needed so one does not drill the wishbone.
ready for a tap with hammer and chisel
Rivett and head with pin punch used to drive the rivett out.
Then wire brush the wishbone which was they sprayed with underseal and plenty sprayed inside to hold the tin worm at bay. Once the new ball joint is bolted up the whole thing apart from rubber boot and pin was sprayed with underseal also covering the bolts and nuts to protect them.
As the TRE was also replaced due to thread damage getting the nut off a new one has been fitted to today we got to get the tracking and wheel alignment checked once again.
One more little job has been "jobbed" and she is coming along albit being slowly.
Next job under the front suspension will be newfront drop links methinks. The rubbers don't look very nice. Am considering the upgraded rose jointed ones from mgmanialtd....