97 vintage MGF 1.8 MPi rescue - Page 4 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #61 of 88 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:12 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
When changing the exhaust found a big rust blister on the under side of the boot floor which became a large hole once scraped with a cold chisel :cry: with the amount of corrosion evident when the carpet liner was removed this has been sitting wet for a long time. One of Mickey's friends/cousins used the hole to gain entry and chew up my nice Cream Tonneau cover :rant: so I placed a suitably baited trap and caught the little swine. Am considering changing my handle to Mr Jinx ................................ of
Quote:
I hate mices to piecs
fame.

When checking the trap in the wee hours of the morning the F's were covered in a very heavy dew and on opening the boot of "Blue 33" it all ran down into the gutter and poured inside to boot by the O/S rear light like a faucet ....................................... hmmm that's not right:-

Despite several attempts could not manage a snap of it pouring in and only got this single drip captured.

So this morning in the sunshine removed the rear light to find this:-

The panel where the light seal goes is dented. No way it could ever seal like this. So some careful application of a coule of ball pein hammers has it straightened out. It was then cleaned and the foam seal was cleaned then an application of vaseline and the light re-fitted. Tried with the water and no drips let alone running in like a faucet 8-) :thumbsu: so looking forwards to a dry boot now.

Just need to get Stewart to cut out the rot and weld plate in to repair the floor.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 88 (permalink) Old 17-10-2014, 16:19 Thread Starter

Boot floor repair is booked for the end of the month ready to re-tax her and take her off sorn.

Meanwhile in the heavy rain the boot still got very wet inside so have removed both light seals cleaned and swapped them over lef for rightso they are reversed. A trick that seems to work on the Rover 75's so thought would give it a try.
post #63 of 88 (permalink) Old 19-10-2014, 17:48 Thread Starter

So far the boot has remained dry ..................... but time wil tell if it's fixed. Meanwhile it was time to fit the S/S under floor pipes that have been sitting in the garage for some time:-

New ones alongside the old ones.

The rust scabs look worse than they are but nice new ones are obviously better especially for peace of mind.

New OAT coolant was mixed up and used and the two front points, Radiator and heater, bled the engine coolant rail will have to be done another time as did not have the time to remove the engine bay access panel today. Not a problem really as she is not going anywhere what with her rear wheels up on ramps and the front up on axle stands. Until we are sure there is no leaks her belly pan will not be re-fitted. Once that's back in place then she can come down off the ramps and then the rear up on stands to servce the rear brakes.

have to decide what brakes she is getting as yet but witht ehrear discs looking like this:-

and the outer face is betetr than the inner she needs new discs and pads at a minimum.

post #64 of 88 (permalink) Old 23-10-2014, 18:58 Thread Starter

Brake update

Discovered that the donor VVC had fairly new discs on it so off they came for a clean up as of course laying about they had got a bit of rust on them. The pads looked almost new ............................................ at a glance that is it was not until I went to clean them of much that I found that a real butcher had fitted them so I need new pads to finish the job:-

The start.

Here is how far we got

Disc cleaned and pianted

The Yellow calipers match the intake vent ................................. yes you guessed it ................................ I LIKE bright Yellow .

Although things have not gone smoothly and after all day the job is still not finished. Tomorrow have to go and get some new pads and fit them and the butcher who put them in didn't line the peg up witht eh piston and the peg has been crushed into the backing plate making the pad U/S.

As I removed the calipers for cleaning and painting the system has been virtually drained of fluid so whle it's like this and as the front wheels have to come off for bleeding the chance to fit the new HEL yellow PVC covered S/S braided hoses will be grabbed and they will be fitted to the front and the front calipers will be cleaned and painted as well.
post #65 of 88 (permalink) Old 25-10-2014, 00:39 Thread Starter

Slight chnge of plan ................................ as it's hoped to fit upgraded brakes to the front decided it was not worth painting the calipers. Plus ran out of paint ............................... whoops and now running out of time if she is to get to the body shop and have the boot floor repaired before the end of the month.

So a trip into town for a set of new brake pads for the rear:-

Went for better pads that I might have normally bought and will see how much they improve the braking........................... once bedded in that is.

New shocks fitted to each corner. Bought these originanlly for the VVC Project as those on that were really rusted. While doing the rear brakes noticed that a lower shock bush was in rather poor shape so looked out these Anschler (Euro Car parts) shocks and fitted them.

Got the N/S/F new HEL (Cobra Performance) connected but have to route it carefully and secure the hose so it does not foul then fit the O/S/F and then can fill and bleed the system.

Weather permitting that is the job for Saturday morning. Then onto fitting the rest of the TF 135 filter assembly.
post #66 of 88 (permalink) Old 26-10-2014, 14:21 Thread Starter

Today's job was to modify then fit the TF 135 air filer box. Modify to have the intake at the front instead of the rear and pointing down instead of towards the engine:-

Marked the centre and using a hole saw cut out the middle. The hole saw was not big enough so used a small flap wheel to grind it out to size and cut a notch to locate the 90 degree intake moulding then shorten the inner feed tube and drill a new hole to secure it to the bottom of the filter body.

Next job was the blank off the old intake location. luckily I found a copper disc the right size which was held in place by good ole Duct tape whilst the body bonding agent got to work on the inside. Have left the Duct tape in place for now.

For now the old intake hose has been fitted and pushed down towards the side intake vent.

Will measure how much is needed and get some new nice coloured intake hose. The filter box top was cleaned then primed with plastic primer and then sprayed silver. It will eventually be bright yellow as will the cam cover ................................ one day.

Just need to get a filter element for this new air filter and the locating/retaining nuts and screw for the body as they seem to be missing.

And I believe we are ready for the body shop to repair the boot (trunk) floor ready for taxing from 1st November. Time to put the tools away for a few days and catch up with other chores.
post #67 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-11-2014, 10:50 Thread Starter

Friday got the call from the body shop that her floor was repaired and she was ready:-

The second small patch was due to the rubber bung not being fitted properly and so a small patch of rust on the edge of the hole had formed. Now all cut out and fixed up.

Yesterday Morning (Saturday) I swapped the coolant expansion bottle for the one that had just been cleaned. So it's all nice an clean and clear now. Will clean her original and swap that onto "Elsie" in due course.

"Blue 33's" still showed signs of her HGF last February so a bit mucky around the upper part. Also have decided to replace the std air hose from air filter to throttle body with a smooth bore one. no corrigations to disturb the air flow. As could not find anything suitable will have to make one up so have bought an alloy tube and will use the ends of a std hose for the curves and see how it turns out.

Her Air Filter box now has a brand new standard filter element fitted bought from the local factors.

Last edited by plezier; 02-11-2014 at 10:59.
post #68 of 88 (permalink) Old 21-11-2014, 07:54 Thread Starter

Of course I now discover that new boot floors are available ............................... Doh! if I had known wold have gone for that route of complete replacement ........ Oh well.

Well her N/S/F wheel bearing has been droning a bit. Mentioned as being a bit rough last February at the MOT it was time to replace the worn bearing. One was ordered from MG-Obession through their ebay shop and it arrived quickly so enquiries were made at several garages about fitting said bearing to the hub.

Original plan was to take in a spare hub and soak the nuts and pinch bolt in penetrating fliud prior to removal. Prices for fitting the bearing varied widely but chose a garage we have not used before as it's next door to the paint shop and time to make new "friends" who can provide services which we are not equipped for like this bearing change.

A delay occured due to thier already booked in work so when I was hoping to pick up it was still not touched and as the hub came off a lot easier than I expected I swapped them over at his work shop so the new bearing has been pressed into her original hub and not my spare one..

Hub off. The bottom ball joint although I cold feel no play seemed a little easy to move so it was replaced.

First step centre drill the rivetts. The open up the drill hole until the head can be sheared off with a cold chisel of it comes off on the drill bit.

Then the rivett can be punched through with a pin punch of suitable size. The inner most rivett is the problem one as one cannot get the drill on properly in line so a little care is needed so one does not drill the wishbone.

ready for a tap with hammer and chisel

head removed

Rivett and head with pin punch used to drive the rivett out.

Then wire brush the wishbone which was they sprayed with underseal and plenty sprayed inside to hold the tin worm at bay. Once the new ball joint is bolted up the whole thing apart from rubber boot and pin was sprayed with underseal also covering the bolts and nuts to protect them.

As the TRE was also replaced due to thread damage getting the nut off a new one has been fitted to today we got to get the tracking and wheel alignment checked once again.

One more little job has been "jobbed" and she is coming along albit being slowly.

Next job under the front suspension will be newfront drop links methinks. The rubbers don't look very nice. Am considering the upgraded rose jointed ones from mgmanialtd....
post #69 of 88 (permalink) Old 21-11-2014, 13:15 Thread Starter

Went up the hill into town and got the aligment checked and yep the front was out. Not so surprising as it's had a new TRE and lower ball joint plus the new wheel bearing on the N/S/F so despite only having it all done a few thousand miles back had to stump up yet again for it to be done ................................ Graon!!!!!
post #70 of 88 (permalink) Old 24-11-2014, 14:48 Thread Starter

Oh the drama of it!!

As we finally have a compression tester that seems to work and although chilly it was dry it was decided that today would be the day to open up the engine access and fit the new bits:-

Distributer cap and rotor arm
Plug leads
Spark Plugs.

Had to pop down to the Doctors to get them to come out and see Dad who it seems has had another TIA so the engine was warm as it's at least 6 miles to the surgery.

Got back opened her up and got the new tubular extension for the tester out and screwed on the 14mm thread adaptor and tried it in No1 and voila we have a reading of 170 PSI. Take a photo then release the pressure and remove the flexible hose from the solid extension and using asocket uscrew the extension ............................................. Ahhhhh it seems the apator has remained in the plug thread. Of coure it's 19mm hex and a 19mm plug socket will NOT go down the plug tubes in the head.

After a trip into town to get a thin walled tubular plug spanner and discovering the same it won't go down the holes ............................ Aggggghhhhhhh!!!!

Fianlly resorted to cleaning the threads as best I could and applying Locite and screwing the extension back into the adaptor then letting it set and unscrewed the now joined two bits.................................... Phew it worked.

The readings are pretty much all the same but I have no idea if this is good pressure wise or not as so far have been unable to find out what it should actaully be??????????????

The cap was well past it's best:-

as was the arm:-

New cap and lead all fitted and running again:-

Now just need a replacement throttle body for the Polymer original fitted still.

Foot note .................................... found this info in the Haynes Rover 75 manual on the 1.8 engine. Compression on the Non turbo engine should be 10 Bar minimum ............................... my readigns are close to 12 Bar so we should be OK......................................... Hopefully.

Last edited by plezier; 02-12-2014 at 14:44.
post #71 of 88 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 14:45 Thread Starter

Finally got hold of a Delorto TV5 52mm Throttle body. If the weather improves tomorrow will see about fitting it. Got it for 45 delivered.................................. so not so bad but again not as cheap as one would have liked.
post #72 of 88 (permalink) Old 24-12-2014, 14:46 Thread Starter

Well it's been fitted for a while now but here it is:-

and no I have no idea why it was painted red. It's the way it came but inside it looked like new so very happy.

Today Christmas Eve in the post arrived a Mk2 air bag so got that popped on this morning. I think the nice MG badge in the middle is far better than the emblossed black original.
post #73 of 88 (permalink) Old 17-01-2015, 07:55 Thread Starter

Finally swapped out the very noisey wiper motor for a nice quiet one brought from a breakers on ebay. Later when the weather warms up will try to replace the bearing in the old one so we have a spare JIC.

On the 12th January she went into the Dyno Cell to see just how she is performing. The results were a little surprising really. Despite 74000 miles she is performing pretty much as the factory claimed in fact due to the little improvements we have gained a few BHP. Not as much as many would claim for the induction improvement and the TV5 52mm throttle body but she is producing 125.9 BHP (127.7 PS for those whom work in metric) corrected at the fly wheel or 102.1 BHP (103.5 PS) at the wheels.

So it would seem that actually getting the power up to around 150 BHP should not be too hard after all as it's not like we are having to find lost power after all.

Proper induction tubing/piping to the N/S intake vent to draw in only air from the outside and a proper performance panel filter will help. At the moment she is still drawing air from inside the engine bay as the bay intake temperature was 37 degrees and it was only 9 degrees in the cell itself.

Either a better head with improved cams and flowing will yeild the bulk of the improvement but due to costs this will take some months to achieve.

Finally a proper performance exhaust to allow the exhaust to breathe properly.

Meanwhile we will just enjoy the drive . Next week we are off south to Surrey and Sussex to meet up with old friends.

Last edited by plezier; 27-01-2015 at 12:44.
post #74 of 88 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 13:03 Thread Starter

After a week away down in Surrey and Sussex in "Blue 33" some thought has been given to the best options we have. Time was spent muling over the comments, suggestions, and information so freely given so the lan is to sort out the cold air feed to the filter. Get and fit a proper performance panell filter to replace the standard paper element currently fitted.

As there seems to be no real performance benefit to using the TV5 52mm TB this will be swapped witht he TV1 48mm modified TB currently fitted to the VVC where better use may be made of it....................................... or so the theory goes.

"Blue 33" decided that her outlet coolant hose on the engine was tired so started to expand and weep/spray coolant about. A new MG/Rover hose was ordered through the local Land Rover/Jaguar dealership and then fitted by a garage. Typical as we not only had a spare at home but were now 180 miles from home so unable to do this. So am now 96 lighter in the pocket for this hose fitting.

Otherwise she behaved really well and handled the over taking on the motor way when required with aplomb. As a result any further improvements will be aimed at making her just more usable and reliable and not really any tunning.

Any aims in that line will now be with "Elsie" the VVC. The panel filter and the cold air feed shoulod bring "Blue 33" up to around the 130 bhp mark as it is so that will do.
post #75 of 88 (permalink) Old 29-01-2015, 12:04 Thread Starter

Oh well now need to replace the O/S/F bottom ball joint as she failed her MOT on this and emissions. So need to retrieve her original CAT from the old exhaust and get that fitted and a new ball joint.

Of course the weather has taken a turn for the worse with wintery showers of rain, sleet and proper snow flakes. So will order some exhaust gaskets and plan the work from inside the warm.

Last edited by plezier; 01-02-2015 at 13:13.
post #76 of 88 (permalink) Old 01-02-2015, 13:16 Thread Starter

Exhaust gaskets arrived on Saturday in the mail and they were only posted on Friday ................................ excellent but shocked at the speed of the post ................................ not usual that.

Bought the ball joints from CarPart4Less so they should arrive Monday or Tuesday so today went to retrieve the CAT. Well it's no good as one flange has rusted through to the stud so it's not usable. Just bought a new one online and now have to wait for delivery of that expensive part. Bought a O/E one this time.
post #77 of 88 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 14:46 Thread Starter

Despite the freezing weather and the odd shower of cold wet stuff yesterday all the MOT remedial work was done. Ball joint fitted, changed the O/S/F drop link for a better one whilst the hub was off and fitted the new CAT.

Then phoned and booked her in for the re-test for 11:00 AM this morning and she sailed through. Once the weather improves will swap out the other front drop link.

So now we plan ahead for the next round of fettling and servicing......................
post #78 of 88 (permalink) Old 09-02-2015, 12:19 Thread Starter

Just to keep me on my toes or annoy me ..................................... take your pick!

"Blue 33" decided that her lower speedo cable had done enough and sheared on the way home from the Derbyshire run on Sunday. have no confirmed this is the case and a replacement one is being sort from Darren & Jill at MGFnTFbitz.
post #79 of 88 (permalink) Old 20-02-2015, 10:19 Thread Starter

Right should have the cable in a few days then with a little sadness "Blue 33" will be prepped for sale. Currently finalising a deal to buy a 75th Anniversary model that requires a little TLC and simply cannot have 3 MGF's ....................... the chancellor has decreed.
post #80 of 88 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 17:14 Thread Starter

Cable all fitted and I gave her a bit of a clean. There was abit of over spary from he visit to the paint shop so cleaned that off but discovered whilst doing so that some a-hole as hit the front and cracked the drivers side indicator and left white paint on the bumper by the number plate.

Have cleaned the white paint off and now have to source a replacement indicator.

Am wondering if it might not ne a good idea to put her original 6 spoke wheels back on in place of the 5 spoke VVC rims?