"Elsie" the Mk1 MGF VVC in British Racing Green - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-04-2014, 08:10 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
"Elsie" the Mk1 MGF VVC in British Racing Green

Due to my putting in a silly bid on the bay may I now present "Elsie":-

Also a open K&N filter

Later we intend to change this to a proper enclosed cold air feed induction. There is also this crack in the front bumper

She also has a boot popper fitted

She was listed and probably HGF and was losing water so not drivable so she had to be recovered as it was a 135 mile trip to her new home from Birmingham. She has current MOT but is sorned.

Her problems were water loss and a quite badly ripped drivers seat, broken silver centre vent, no stereo at all it had all be taken out speakers as well and badly corroded wheels. Also the gear change was awfully sloppy ........................... worst I have come across. The O/S/R caliper is rather seized and hand brake very poor. Attempts to free it have been not very successful so a reconditioned caliper has been bought.

My not being a favourite of dark interiors thought about using the Luxury Parchment from the Tahiti Blue project. First an examination of Elsie was done. Pink coolant staining was visible on one hose by the temp sensors and even running long enough to move off the beaver tail onto the drive showed dripping.

So the engine bay was pressure washed which showed another small issue the coolant temp gauge wire to the sender was damaged ............... hmmmmm. This has not been repaired using bullet connectors rather that a bit of tape. On running her up the suspected hose showed not leak.

Turns out it was the drivers side bottom corner of the rad, in fact the whole bottom rail of the rad is so rotten it was nearly detached.. leak found! As Elsies body and rear subframe was in good condition needing no welding unlike the Blue VVC it was decided to swap the interior over and other bits to Elsie and use the Blue one as a donor for both Blue 33 and Elsie.

And so it began:-

The nearly new alloy radiator in the Blue VVC was removed and swapped into Ellsie.

This revealed that Elsie has almost new SS under pipes nice find and she also has SS braided brake hoses front and rear.

Door cards first

The stripping out the rest of the interior some items were discovered like this Ice Alert box

and a Motorola tracker unit ........ long defunct

Pretty gutted

We noticed this

Passenger air bag no less. Slightly complicated the dash swap as did the broken nacelle for the speedo etc.

It's now glued in place. The black air bag matches the black instrument housing rather well. Sort of balances it out.

Lifting the carpets we found quite a bit of water. Elsie suffers water ingress

which has got to be sorted out. Some previously has used about a tube of silicone to little effect. A TF snorkel has been purchased and will be fitted carefully with body sealant and so it continues. The interior swap over is not quite as straight forwards as some would have us believe. For instance the plugs for the Mk1 switches are different to the Mk2 and the switches of the Mk1 do not fit the Mk2 console very well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-04-2014, 17:44 Thread Starter

This morning a package arrived containing the TF Snorkel so as the rain had abated this afternoon the MGF standard heater air intake was removed. Two bolts at the back inside the cabin but the front was only stuck down with half a tube of silicone.

Have removed t and cleaned up a spot of rust the rubbed it down with 320 wet and dry paper then sprayed it satin black. Hopefully the new resistor coils will turn up and that can be fixed then fitted through the aperture before sealing the snorkel in place.

Finally found the lose multi plug which was causing the immobiliser problem so Elsie now lives again. Also discovered that the rear fog lamps only illuminate with the engine running but they work. Just the reversing lights to find the fault with now.
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-04-2014, 22:47

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Are you going to have a crack and sorting the bumper yourself ?

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 26-04-2014, 12:23 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Are you going to have a crack and sorting the bumper yourself ?
Yes I will do but it requires painting as it's the wrong shade of green. I believe it's a later addition and the green is paler than the car. However it can wait for now. Let's get the interior swapped over and the water ingress dealt with.
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 26-04-2014, 20:18 Thread Starter

Repaired the fan resistor pack with the new coils from Rezpack so now have all four fans speeds working. Fitted the heater ducts under the dash and the under dash intake tot eh blower motor.

Fitted the TF snorkel and sealed some seams that might be weeping. Put instrument pod back in connected up speedo cable then fitted air vents and glove box. She is starting to look like a car once more.

Then it was time to start treating the rust on the floor caused but eh water ingress. Tomorrow will have to go into town to get some more rust stuff and under seal. Elsie is up in the air right now so tomorrow it's all four wheels off drain the brake reservoir and then try to get the semi seized rear caliper off so it can be replaced. Must finish rebuilding the second AP caliper so they can go on.

Undecided as whether or not to fit the new shock absorbers or not.
post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 30-04-2014, 20:44 Thread Starter

Talking

"Elsie" is now officially on the road. Still some teething issues to deal with such as the reversing light problem and still to discover all her upgrades. So far we have discovered:-

Mike Satur upgraded bell crank for the gear change
Mike Satur alloy Mk1 heater control knobs

These are apart from the obvious like:-

Side air scoops
Front Fogs
Trophy front spoiler
SS braided hoses to calipers
Passenger air bag
SS coolant pipe under the floor

Sadly the Roll Hoops were fitted by a butcher so have been removed and hopefully we can repair the butchery. The interior swap is almost complete. Have mislaid to plastic caps for the top dash bolts and need to get a good Mk2 heater control panel as the circuit board broke on the VVC donors when I tried to unplug the wiring.......................... Doh!

"Elsie" looks like this right now:-

With canine hinderer

This was before a quick wash.

When investigating the difficult selection of 1st & 3rd due tot eh lever fouling the Mk2 console trim I found this under the car:-

Seems it's a Satur upgraded bell crank ...................... nice. Have got to investigate the shock absorbers as there is a sticker on the N/S/F one that is not standard an I noticed red bottom shock bushes I believe.

All in all it seems it was a good buy .
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 16:52

Looks smart mate.

What is the upgraded bell crank ?

My first and reverse are getting difficult.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 07:24 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Looks smart mate.

What is the upgraded bell crank ?

My first and reverse are getting difficult.
That's a very good question and one which I really do not know the answer too exactly how it improves the gear change and selection is a bit of a mystery to me but I am reliably informed that is does improve it.

I was just investigating why it was like it was and found the new shiny bit so took the photo and posted it here and it was other more knowledgeable members who spotted it for what it is. The gear lever still sits too far forwards IMHO so I will try adjusting the cable end at the lever and see if it can be made to sit in neutral further back and more central. It seems that whom ever fitted the bell crank and new cable did not get it set up correctly. mind you the original change mechanism from her is very ......................... very worn. Perhaps fitting the better unit has had some impact on this?

Last edited by plezier; 04-05-2014 at 07:33.
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 Thread Starter

Progress update!!

"Elsie" has now been driven for a few hundred miles with no noticeable coolant loss. Her oil remains clear and apart from the MGF usual few white spots on the dip stick very clean. We took her for a drive yesterday afternoon in the sunshine and covered around 60 miles and have just checked her levels. After my initial top of of the oil level that is stable at a fraction below the MAX mark. The coolant level was about 1/16" below the little island marker so it was topped up to make it just covering it.

For now I am allowing this to be settling of the level since the radiator swap and bleeding the system. the level will be monitored of course in the coming days/weeks/months.

Plans now consist of getting the stereo fitted and working so we have some sounds then working through the little bits that need bringing up to scratch like the door hinge bushes and the pressure in the spheres checked .............................. need to find a place which has a pump with working pressure gauge first though.

Also as a matter of course a Four wheel alignment will be done and with a bit of luck she will be put up on a ramp so that we can check all the suspension bushes prior to the alignment.

It looks like the front bumper is beyond my abilities for repair and it appears it's been repaired before and the damage is more extensive that t looks. So will be seeing a local chap who broke up a Green MGF and whom I believe still has the front bumper and hopefully a complete mirror as the N/S one is knackered. The wires have been ripped off it at some point in the past.

Exactly what is entailed in removing the Trophy spoiler and fitting it to the replacement bumper we will have to discover.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 14:16

Good stuff mate.

Drill a hole either end of the bumper cracks, this will stop them spreading, pop fibre glass on the rear of the crack (behind the bumper) to strengthen it, always then pop it to a local dent man to fill and spray the rest.
post #11 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-05-2014, 21:57 Thread Starter

Although I have not taken it off as yet it looks to have been extensively repaired before and the repairs are failing. Will see what Gordon wants for the one he has in his loft and then speak to Nigel and see what he wants for his and see which is in the best condition.
post #12 of 56 (permalink) Old 08-05-2014, 03:57 Thread Starter

Have not managed to get the time to chase up bumpers, not got the funds for ne right now either for that matter, but Wednesday discovered the source of the clank/clonk on the suspension.

Having failed on jacks etc on the gravel drive took her down to one of the local garage and MOT stations and asked for a bit of help finding the problem. Although I thought it sounded Near side the problem is the lower ball joint on the front drivers side.

Also had a look at the sub frame mounts and found a problem with the drivers side rear mount on the front sub frame. Some numpty has had a go at it with an angle grinder so this needs replacing.

Wonder what they were trying to do?????

It also rained so had to put the top up and use the wipers ...................................... errrrrr they make a dreadful whining sound so need to replace the mechanism and motor. Of course it's not straight forwards as it seems being an early VVC she is fitted with a clutch hydraulic line dampener and this doo-dad :-

I should point out the two 8 mm hex headed retaining bolts have been removed in the photos. Was trying to get a bit of movement to get the wiper mech past it ....................... no go! it stops removal of the mechanism.

So have got to disconnect and remove it then remove and replace the wipers set up and change the plug as the later ones have a smaller different shape plug tot eh loom and the wiper mech is off the 99 VVC .................................... "Sigh" why is it never straight forward ??????.

The reconnect and bleed the clutch.
post #13 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-05-2014, 17:55 Thread Starter

Front bumper update

It seems that the small crack is really a much lager one that's been filled and is cracking with vibration, roads are dire around here, so have found a very good green bumper and this afternoon went to get the opinion of the paint guy.

Yep as I thought it's not worth repairing so once I get the replacement bumper if i take "Elsie's" off and drop both over to him he will remove the spoiler and fit it onto the replacement and spry it to match (HAM). I can then re-fit it.

He took a look around and we discussed the paint issues but they are not major. A sill repair needs painting and the sill bottom edge straightening from jack misuse. There are a couple of scuffs on the rear bumper and a bit of paint flaked at the diffuser. Some minor stone chips to the bonnet but mainly swirls in the paint which I hope to have a go at or get addressed in June.

Would like to get her all prettied up for the Rover Rally at East Kirkby...................................... yes I know she is an MG.
post #14 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-05-2014, 21:03 Thread Starter

Late this afternoon got "Elsie" up on an axle stand and the O/S/F wheel off to replace the lower ball joint. It seems that someone started to do tis then gave up as the locking tab for the top ball joint nut was laid flat and the nut was not as tight as it should be. The lower shock absorber bolt was also not as tight as it should have been. The track rod end was another matter and need my 18" breaker bar to move the nut.

Anyway the new joint is sitting in the wish bone with the three nuts nipped up. Will tighten them up properly in the morning in daylight and then clean and protect the wish bone itself. Then it's change the rear sub frame mount on the driers side due to the grinder cut in it.

Am still wondering if I should fit teh new set of shocks I bought for the Blue VVC project ............................. Hmmmmm ????
post #15 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-08-2014, 09:14 Thread Starter

Update

Well not much has been done except drive and enjoy "Elsie" in fact she joined the 100,000 mile club in July:-

Then managed to pull into a farm entrance to take the important photo

I did fit the Jaylad servo brace this morning as thought it was about time I got that done.

Have just arranged for her seats to be restored. The drivers one has a tear at the bolster seam which is getting worse with use so first the seats, cubby cover/arm rest and door inserts will be cleaned repaired where required and restored. Of course it means that the interior will have to pulled apart a but perhaps I can get the speakers installed and the stereo head unit fitted at last.

Then she is due for the MOT in September.
post #16 of 56 (permalink) Old 17-08-2014, 11:57 Thread Starter

MOT Time is coming!

As the MOT is looming upon the horizon thought it best to check things over. The handbrake did not seem to be working too well so adjusted it but am still not happy with it's performance. The brake rollers will tell us how bad or good it really is I suppose. Everything is free so it should be working properly.

Whilst checking the N/S handbrake noticed some play in the hub. Seems that the lower bush has had it's day so needs replacing/renewing. So will get them ordered on Monday from Rimmers. Checked the small stash of bolts and found that I have three new ones of the correct size and tensile rating just need so more thread locker as mine is just about empty now.

Thought it was time to finally get around to replacing the damaged N/S rear mount for the front subframe. Been putting it off as dreading the bolts shearing. As it happens they came undone and out very well one one needed easing out. Fitted the good undamaged mount that I had so once the new rear bushes are fitted it's time to get the tracking set up properly.

It looks like I had best fit the new shocks too as I think at least one of the originals is weeping. The lower tube was well covering in an oily road film and I have a new set so might as well fit them.

Once the test is done then I had got to pull the interior out again so the seats can be restored. The drivers bolster is worn and has a small hole in it. Found a local place that can do it for a reasonable price so we will give them a go.
post #17 of 56 (permalink) Old 18-08-2014, 17:46 Thread Starter

MOT is booked for Wednesday morning and I know she will fail as am not replacing the lower arm bushes before just in case there are more that I didn't find that need replacing. Would rather order them all in one go that are needed.

Have also ordered a new exhaust as one of the hangers has come free from the box. It's a mild steel box so this seems the easiest way. Fit the new one and take the old one to the welder to see if it can be repaired. If it can then it can go onto the Blue MPi as her original exhaust has a rust hole in it now. Just need to get some gaskets. Pick them up on Wednesday morning from a local factors. Shame they could not soruce the bushes for the lower arm though.
post #18 of 56 (permalink) Old 20-08-2014, 21:11 Thread Starter

Well it was no surprise that "Elsis" failed her test this morning. What did surprise me was that she failed her emissions test .

Have the rear brake lines to check and probably replace .................... Groan ........ a braided brake line to re-route slightly as on full lock it can just touch the lower wishbone whoops the two new Orange "581" bulbs I fitted are too white it seems so picked up a pair of Lucas ones today and they are slightly more orange when fitted.

Next is the rear lower hub hub bushes................................. hmm this looks like fun!
post #19 of 56 (permalink) Old 21-08-2014, 09:23

Car: BMW M3 Convertible & BMW 320CD M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by plezier View Post
Well it was no surprise that "Elsis" failed her test this morning. What did surprise me was that she failed her emissions test .

Have the rear brake lines to check and probably replace .................... Groan ........ a braided brake line to re-route slightly as on full lock it can just touch the lower wishbone whoops the two new Orange "581" bulbs I fitted are too white it seems so picked up a pair of Lucas ones today and they are slightly more orange when fitted.

Next is the rear lower hub hub bushes................................. hmm this looks like fun!
aw unlucky! Miles over the requirements? I got my old bmw through by bunging it full of injector cleaner lol
post #20 of 56 (permalink) Old 21-08-2014, 19:16 Thread Starter

This morning cleaned and re-oiled the K&N cone filter then took it down and had the emissions re-checked .............................. sadly it was not enough. Then dropped off the GTX exhaust to have the N/S hanger welded back on and on to the Motor factors where I picked up a Klarius CAT. Next stop was the friendly mechanic whom checked the ECU for stored faults .................................................. . there were loads. God only knows when they were cleared. Anyway he cleared then and did some more checking and the Lambada sensor is not switching as it should so a new one is ordered from Rimmers should be here tomorrow.

Then got onto some of the little niggles like re-routing the braided front brake hoses for better clearance. This required making up a little bracket to hold a "P" clip to hold the middle of the braided hose. Adjusted the N/S headlamp a bit, let's hope I did not go too far!!!!.

If the weather is good tomorrow perhaps i can get the hand brake adjusted correctly as it's being a PITA. The calipers are free and not seized and a the handbrake mech seems to move freely both sides but it's just not working as it should.