"Elsie" the Mk1 MGF VVC in British Racing Green - Page 2 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #21 of 56 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 08:10 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
On Monday Morning "Elsie" passed her MOT. She now has a new exhaust fitted the only original bit being the manifold. Still unhappy with the performance of the O/S handbrake so will take it up with the supplier of the reconditioned caliper as I think there is a problem with the auto adjustment mechanism................................. it's just not working as it should.

Now the MOT is out of the way we can start thinking about getting the stereo sorted and the paint issues sorted out. the O/S/R wing has been keyed by the look of it and the bonnet is covered in stone chips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-09-2014, 07:13 Thread Starter

Air scoops .......................... painted silver

One of the things that attracted me tot eh listing for the Green VVC that has become "Elsie" was the extras she already had fitted. One of these was the air scoops to the side vents:-

Although I could never understand them being painted Black ???? when they had gone to the trouble of painting the door handles and high level brake light surround Silver:-

Originally when she arrived the instrument centre console and air vents were also Silver but this was lost in the upgrade to the MY2000 interior.

Last evening I removed the N/S scoop and rubbed it down then sprayed it Silver:-

Which looks much better I think. It's not lacquered as yet and only sat in it's position but I will now remove the other side and rub that down too for spraying and po out and pick up a can of spray lacquer to finish it off so to speak.
post #23 of 56 (permalink) Old 25-09-2014, 15:42 Thread Starter

Removed the very noisy wiper motor and gear box and replaced it with the one off the Blue VVC donor. Of course it being a MY2000 model the loom plugs were different. So chopped off the plugs with a length of cable and soldered/spliced the MY2000 motor/gear box onto the 97 vintage plug.

The wipers are much quieter now and not afraid to use the wipers now. Another job that has been put off and put off due to the difficulty in getting the wiper mechanism out because of the Clutch Damper fitted tot eh early VVC's. Today I unbolted the wiper motor assembly off the arm mechanism and then after swapping the wiring plugs bolted it back on. The arms were left in the car as without either removing the Clutch Damper and bleeding the clutch or removing the snorkel they simply will not come out.

Just one more little job jobbed!

post #24 of 56 (permalink) Old 17-10-2014, 16:35 Thread Starter

Yesterday took a trip over to Rimmers and picked up some new bits:-

Compliance washers
two new nuts for the tie bars
Lower arm inner bushes ........ Polybushes this time.

In the post arrived yesterday monrning the Polybush replacement compliance bushes for both sides.

So today as it was fine it was time to get her up wheels off and lower arms out for the new bushes. The arm to hub bushes were replaced for the MOT the other month. Here are the new expensive bits:-

The arms were easy to remove only having been refitted a short time back:-

and only required a wipe over..

New standard metalistic bush fitted for the MOT. Now with new Polybushes fitted:-

and then fitted:-

Some time back also cleaned and painted the alternator adjusting bracket:-

Yes I happen to be fond of bright yellow.

Last edited by plezier; 27-01-2015 at 13:22.
post #25 of 56 (permalink) Old 27-01-2015, 13:21 Thread Starter

Nothing has been done recently well not since the stereo was fitted and sorted. She has been sorned for a while and now it's time to get some things done like the drivers seat bolster wear repaired.

You can see the small hole in this photo. The seats are still in the donor in that one!

The interior leather will also be cleaned and restored as much as practicable and if we can find a suitable plastic paint the plastic will be painted so they all match instead of being different shades due to sun damage and bleaching as it is now.

The K&N 57i will be replaced with an enclosed cold feed indution set up feeding the TV5 52mm TB Have an Apiro one to fit here just need to sort out the ductiing and a way of fitting it to the N/S intake vent properly.

Am also thinking of getting her new coil packs. Also believe she would benefit from some new shock absorbers as her ride is a wee bit harsh and they do seem to be the originals so have over 100k on them now.
post #26 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 15:02 Thread Starter

Having been drving the MP1 "Blue 33" and then "Elsie" my VVC it's obvious that "Elsie" could do with some better spheres. So have been thinking that perhaps it would be a good idea to finish rebuilding that front sub frame and then swap the rebuilt one into "Elsie" with different spheres and then swap the rears for different ones and hopefully this will improve her ride and make it more supple as it should be.

The sub frame is currently bolted into the cancelled VVC project which became a donor car.

It will a good chance to also clean the AP calipers on the front. May even look into modifying her knuckle pins to lower her a tad................ methinks about 15mm woud do ............... and possibly get some nice new adjustable dampers ............... will see what we can scrape up parts and finance wise in time for the better warmer weather.

Edit :- Due to the acquistion of the 75th Anniversary Edition on which the front sub frame was in a far worse condition the refurbished yellow on is now residing in the 75th so it's time to refurbish another frotn sub frame.

Last edited by plezier; 20-08-2015 at 08:07.
post #27 of 56 (permalink) Old 26-02-2015, 01:13 Thread Starter

"Elsie" got a bit of bling in the form of some different rear lights. A pair of Chrome 3 ring lights:-

Just after fitting.

Then went for a drive and she got a clean and polish:-

It seems that I need to take them back off clean the body under them and seal with some silicone as they don't seem to have any seals.

Then this afternoon she got a TV5 52mm Throttle Body fitted in place of the modified de-wedge 48mm TV1 that she has had since just after we got her last year. I was surprised at the improvement in throttle response this gives. Just need to improve the induction set up now.

Last edited by plezier; 26-02-2015 at 10:45.
post #28 of 56 (permalink) Old 27-02-2015, 14:09

Car: MGZTcdti/MG Montego Turbo/MG Montego EFi/MGF
Coming on well that, keep it up
post #29 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-03-2015, 17:11 Thread Starter

Thank you Jeff!

She has her original lights back on for now until I can sort out some seals for teh 3 ring ones. So this afternoon connected up the new coil pack. I cannoit say fitte as now matter what i tried one of the bolts on the old coil pack plate won't shift and the bolt head is chewing up. So will cable tie the new ones to somethign and take her to the garage and see if they can use heat to shift the bolt.

Have a replacement sorted out ready to be fitted once we get this bugger out.

Once they are bolted up properly I can do a real test to see if this has cured the juddder on acceleration and load.
post #30 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-03-2015, 17:36 Thread Starter

After a trip to the garage where the mechanic managed to get the bolt undone with help from the ramp. I then bolted the new pack in place at home and although she picks up cleaner there is still a judder which is pronounced in some situations so we are back looking for the cause.

Last edited by plezier; 15-03-2015 at 12:07.
post #31 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-03-2015, 07:10

Car: MGZTcdti/MG Montego Turbo/MG Montego EFi/MGF
Quote:
Originally Posted by plezier View Post
After a trip to teh garage where the mechanic managed to get the bolt undone with help from the ramp. I then bolted the new pack in place at home and although she picks up cleaner there is still a judder which is pronounced in some situations so we are back looking for the cause.
It feels good to finally get a troublesome bolt removed but its a shame that wasn't the cause.
post #32 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-03-2015, 12:18 Thread Starter

Jeff it was part of the cause because it's not so pronounced now. Once my back is better and allows me to ove freely I will get the plugs out and check them even though they are almost new. Will also check the new leads for damage and chaffing.

Also need to check the cam belts and probably see about renewal of them.

Some time back when I was replacing these bushes:-

I noticed that the gear box mount was not done up.... the bolts were standing proud so i tightened thm up. We are wondering if running loose like this has damaged the rubber in the mount so that is something I need to check. Also I will check the rear sub frame mounts and drivers side engine mount. At 18 years old and with over 100k on the clock they might just be past their best now.
post #33 of 56 (permalink) Old 23-06-2015, 09:04 Thread Starter

Ahhhh it appears we may have found the soruce of that elusive juddering. Sadly it's been an expensive way to find out what it was but hopefully this is the culprit ............................................. RHS inner CV joint!

We had a little mishap in the rain over at Newark coming off a roundabout. Lost traction/grip and she span slamming the O/S/R wheel intot eh high curb smashing the alloy rim. So wheel is scrap and the whack has finished off the inner CV:-

So with this needing sorting out have placed her on SORN whilsy she receives some much needed TLC. The plan is to replace her spheres as her ride is a wee bit harsh and I happen to have a set of spheres so it seems logical to do so.

Will also clean off her sub frames a bit and tart them up and see if I can at last get those compliance rod eye bolts undone to relace the bushes. Service/clean her AP's and if finances allow get her wheels refurbished. At the moment she has no exhaust as I "stole" it for the 75th so have to get a new exhaust from manifold down. Then she can have her exhaust back.

Now I know that she has a weeping gearbox drive shaft seal so now is the time to get that sorted as well and the otehr little job that's been put off is get here seats cleaned and refurbished along with the drivers bolster repair.

All we need now is some money and some better weather to work in................................................ .. now that's not much to ask! .............................. is it?
post #34 of 56 (permalink) Old 15-07-2015, 11:41 Thread Starter

Have a replacement drive shaft complete to fit and have arranged the purchase of an complete exhaust so we can start on her once more. Must admit to having a break for working on the cars and just driving them for a bit.
post #35 of 56 (permalink) Old 16-07-2015, 21:08

Car: Rover 25 TD + VW Golf CL MKIII + Nissan Almera Twister
Eeessh those back lights are gaudy
post #36 of 56 (permalink) Old 18-07-2015, 17:29

Car: Rover 620Ti, 12 psi boost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plezier View Post
Have a replacement drive shaft complete to fit and have arranged the purchase of an complete exhaust so we can start on her once more. Must admit to having a break for working on the cars and just driving them for a bit.
Working on cars is enjoyable too. I need to do some major tlc to mine. Luckily I have another car to use while I tlc the other one.
post #37 of 56 (permalink) Old 21-07-2015, 07:58 Thread Starter

Well am lucky enough to have two other MGF's on the road at the moment plus the Rover 623 so transport is not the problem ............................. time and money is!

Thanks to a friend buying another item from my little optic collection the exhaust will be happening a little earlier than originally thought which of course means that we can get get "Elsie" down to the garage to get that hub nut cracked off. Today is wasted as have to do the shopping them cut grass.

Now as for the Three Ring rear lights .................................. am still undecided as to if I like them or not!
post #38 of 56 (permalink) Old 30-07-2015, 09:32 Thread Starter

Well it seems that "Elsie" will be getting a later type 6 syd manifold and front pipe once they have been fettled to reduce the restrictions of the internal welds. Thenshe can have an exhaust system once more.
post #39 of 56 (permalink) Old 03-08-2015, 00:12 Thread Starter

Today I attacked those restrictive welds. Of course I didn't think to take any photo until after I had started on them:-

Even on this one some had been cleaned up before this photo.

Even like this there is still a lip of weld but I ddidn't want to take it out too far and have it fail.

Finished and it certainly looks less restrictive now. As my Dremel decided to pack up this was all done by hand with a large round file. Now as to whether this will help performance ?????????? only a before and after run on the rolling road/dyno wuld tell but it sure as heck cannot hurt performance surely!
post #40 of 56 (permalink) Old 05-08-2015, 10:53 Thread Starter

Whilst we are under her doing this other stuff adn as the brakes needed to come off on the O/S/R to swap the drive shaft. Decided that I might as well clean up the brakes:-

De-rusted, primed, painted then a coat of clear lacquer to seal. The calipers got a coat of Red Caliper paint too:-

The hubs will get cleaned and a lick of paint as well.

That is of course if ......................................... if I can get the inner front bolt undone on the gear box support arm ....................... all the others are out but this one refuses to budge.