"Elsie" the Mk1 MGF VVC in British Racing Green - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 56 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 08:49 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Update.

"Elsie" is all back together now and her next trip is the the garage in the next village to get quotes for the sill/wheel arch/intake vent repairs and of course the required spraying of both rear quarters that the repairs will necessitate.

Meanwhile here is the new exhaust front/down pipe:-

Usual welding splatter to clean off the flanges.

I wonder if the longer "Primaries"? over the 4 stud pipe help the performance any????

Now the incident repairs:-

Hub cleaned and painted.

new H/T lower hub bolt to replace the bent one .

The drive shaft got a wire brush off and a coat of paint too! Plus a coating of clear lacquer .................................. be interesting to see if it lasts better with lacquer in the harsh conditions underneath the car. The lower radius arms were painted over 12 months ago.

She also got her suspension pumped up as she was sitting a tad low and as she is getting new tyres and a full alignment check after the incident the ride height has to be correct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-08-2015, 09:03 Thread Starter

Well decided that before the new tyres get fitted that the rims would be refurbished so took them over to the paint shop and left them with him to blast fix the little bit of curbing damage then prime, paint, and lacquer. Sparkle silver. Due to his work load will be about a week.

For the front tyres this time I am trying not only a new make/type for me but also a different size ......................................... have gone for slightly narrower one in 205/45 R16 size and the make is Nankang. Type/model is the NS-2. The spec sheets/labels suggest they are the same ratings as the Falken 914's so it will be interesting so see how they drive, grip and perform generally.

Meanwhile the replacement used gearbox support arm arrived. Sadly it has a bit more rust on it than one would like so currently it's pickling in some Bilt Hamber Deox-C solution. It will then be primed, painted and clear coated for protection and the inside sprayed with some underseal.

At the moment am having problems finding someone to do the rear wheel arch and sill repairs. My usual port of call is booked solid until November at least .............................. Ho-Hum!
post #43 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-08-2015, 06:56 Thread Starter

Got a body shop/garage looking at her rear arches and quarter this morning for a firm quote. However the earliest that they can fit us in is 3rd week in September.

Right now he has a VVC in that he is finishing for a customer after a full respray and suspension rebuild. It's also gettign a sports exhaust looks like a Daytona fro Mike Satur and the MS radiator ducting kit along with a set of GAZ adjustables being fitted.

post #44 of 56 (permalink) Old 19-08-2015, 16:45 Thread Starter

Gearbox support arm... replaced

Due to a very helpful Simon at Banhams of Spilsby I was able to cheange the rusted gearbox support arm for a good replacement this afternoon:-

This would have been a MOT failure and hers is due next month. I managed to undo all but the lower inner bolt the other week but could not get onto that one properly so rather hat chew the bolt head up asked Simon to have a look at it. Up on a ramp it was a much simpler job to get onto it.

Once home the job was then simple:-

Clean up the rust with a wire brush then paint with rust treat/primer.

Fit the painted replacement then spray the exposed bolts with underseal for protection for the future.

Last edited by plezier; 20-08-2015 at 08:23.
post #45 of 56 (permalink) Old 20-08-2015, 08:22 Thread Starter

TF 160 filter fitted

It seems that i missed this update but "Elsie" lost her K&N 57i induction kit and got a nice TF 160 set up instead:-

with the front feeding intake hose to the N/S vent. The intent is to also extend and route the rear intake hose to the N/S vent as well so it draws in cool air from outside rather than from a hot engine bay.
post #46 of 56 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 08:20 Thread Starter

Well "Elsie" will not be returning to the road anytime soon as the quotes for the rear sill repairs are coming in at rather alarming rates and so we will not be getting her MOT within the next month at least. Her current one expires in September, in 3 weeks really, but with the other expenses already laid out or committed too there is none available for the sill repairs.

So we can crack on with sorting out her damaged bumpers. Due to a "Brain Fat moment" she now needs a rear bumper and some straightening of teh wheel arch extension.

As per norm the two 17mm headed bumper bolts are rusted solidily in place in the crash cans so we removed the bumper complete witht eh crash cans:-

So hopefully we can get at the bolts to free them up. If not then it's replace the cans I suppose.

Rust to clean off and treat then it's protect time. As both rear arches have flaking paint issues along with the assocaited rust the plan is to attack them with a flap wheel and see just how bad they are and if i can repair them myself and thus save a bit of money which can then go towards the structural sill repairs especially the O/S one :-

Which is BAD! yes it was filled over by some "Muppet" before I acquired her. Although she passed her test last year no problems apart from emissions which required a new CAT and O2 sensor.

Meanwhile the ole noggin is working overtime on ideas for her paint on the repairs. She needs a replacement front bumper due to the repair that has split again. More previous owners handiwork! ...................................... Sooooooooooooo have been wondering what bright yellow would look like on both bumpers and the intake vents/scoops and a tapered stripe from the vents forwards towards the front arch. Need photoshopping to see how it migth look. The previous Silver bit then will be redone in the same bright yellow.
post #47 of 56 (permalink) Old 23-08-2015, 11:42 Thread Starter

So as we have some "time" whilst she is laid up I thought it was about time to sort out some niggles on her. The side scoops were not exactly fitted in the best or neatest way so they have been taken off and the sccops are being blended into the vents which once finished will look as it they are meant to be rather than a stuck on add-on which is how they looked before.

There is still a fair bit of sanding down then skim filling to do as yet before one can even consider painting.

I have a new set of sccops that have never been fitted and once I get this set sorted the new ones will be bonded to the vents and then blended in the same and then painted to go onto the 75th Anniversary.

Last edited by plezier; 14-09-2015 at 08:43.
post #48 of 56 (permalink) Old 14-09-2015, 08:59 Thread Starter

After trying slightly narrower tyres on the front of the 75th Anniversary and finding them an improvement in feel and being less twitchy and not trying to follow tar lines, raised lines and uneven roads surfaces have decided that 205's up front is THE way to go.

In fact the 205's on the 75th were bought for "Elsie" but the chance to test them out on the run to Cosgrove Park was just too good to miss so the Falken 914's were swtched to the rear and pressures adusted and the new 205/45 R16 Nankang NS-2's were fitted on the newly painted Multipsoke Rims and fitted to the front of the 75th.

Hopefully "Elsie" is going to have a sills repaired next week and so should be ready for the MOT but in the meantime there is the matter of the rear bumper to sort out and last week a good undamaged front bumper was acquired at last to rplace the cracked one she arrived with so that needs to be fitted.
post #49 of 56 (permalink) Old 22-05-2016, 11:06 Thread Starter

Well the repairs to the sills never happened and she has been sitting forelorn ever since and now her alternator has seized up. With a little luck and hopefully a following tail wind I am hoping that we can get her sorted out soon but as always finaces are th stumbling block as right now we have none.
post #50 of 56 (permalink) Old 26-06-2016, 22:33 Thread Starter

Today was spent sorting out "Elsie's" seized alternator. Despite managing to free it up it was showing no charge so had to fit another and she is now charging properly once more. So while under the O/S/R wheel arch wire brushed the sub frame and rust treated it then once that cured sprayed it with black anti stone chip paint for protection.

Need to clean up her inside as it's a bit grubby with some black mould type stuff showing on the plastcs where she has been parked up outside all winter.

Still need to get the sills sorted and rear wheel arches tidied up and of course a replacement rear bumper but need a N/S/R crash can before can fit a bumper. At the front she needs either for light surrounds or a replacement Trophy style one for for lights like she used to have. We finally got a decent replacement for her cracked front bumper.
post #51 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:08

Car: 25X, 25 1.6, 25 2.0D Rep:■■■■■■■■■■
Crack on mate.
post #52 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 Thread Starter

Yesterday had a look at "Elsie's" old cracked front bumper with the trophy style lip spoiler and thought let's have a go at getting it off. Well it took a while but it did come off now it needs a little repairing where some muppet uses pop riviets to hold it on and of course to clean off the old bonding stuff so new can be applied.

Also when holding it up against her replacement bumper realised that I need to adjust the fog lights so they sit properly in the apertures.

I have also decided to attempt a repair on the split rear bumper. Will try pastic welding it and reinforcing the inside with fibre glass matting. If it works that will just leave the sills and arches to be sorted.
post #53 of 56 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 13:14

Dill holes at each end of the cracks too.
post #54 of 56 (permalink) Old 10-07-2016, 07:59 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROVER-25X View Post
Dill holes at each end of the cracks too.
There is only one end as the split goes right out of the bottom of the bumper. Am thinking that i will need to breace that end with a trap across the split. Will take a photo later and post it so you can see what we are dealing with.
post #55 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-07-2016, 13:06 Thread Starter

Split bumper photos

Here are some photos of the split that i am going to try and repair:-

There is also some stess crazing that the split caused:-

Am hoping that once the split is repaired the painting will do away witht eh crazing.
post #56 of 56 (permalink) Old 13-07-2016, 22:41

Give it a good sand and spray with primer filler/spray putty, sand smooth and prime, should look reet.