MG ZS 180 MK2 Ignition Blue - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 01:36 Thread Starter
Supporter

Car: MG ZS
MG ZS 180 MK2 Ignition Blue

Well I've finally got round to looking at my summer project.

I'm trying to ensure my 180 is perfect mechanically and electrically for next pride of long bridge meet.

I've given her a full major service.

the only thing that I thought may have been fixed in the service that wasn't (think I was trying to be over positive about this) is the fact that there seems to be a slight electrical fault on start up.

This fault hasn't recorded any fault codes.

what happens is if the car is started straight away (before the immobilizer is activated) it starts first time.
If you leave the car once unlocked and you sit in and wait for the immobilizer to activate then it won't play. the engine turns over as long as the key is turned and just won't actually fire.
it's like it's starved of fuel cam sensor fault for example. if you press unlock on the fob and start it with immobilizer off then no problem again.

the other thing is if you let the fuel pump finish it's prime before turning the key this also makes it turn over for ever and not fire up.

I went on a run to scotland in december with the car and it died i got lambda sensor error, low fuel pressure and random multiple misfire this coupled with the fact that i noticed a big surge in performance after brimming the tank helped me diagnose fuel pump failure after checking the flow rate of the pump.

so what is left can't be a fueling issue although if the pump stops priming then it wont fire up.

I'm starting to think it may be dreaded electric problems but just wondered if anyone else has any thoughts before I investigate further?

Regards,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:17
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
If you don't start quickly after unlocking the immobiliser cutting in is normal on the mk 2. If you then try to start, an attention getter will sound, and you just need to press the unlock on the fob before turning the key.

gnu
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 09:53

Try changing the battery in the keyfob, i had all kinds of odd starting problems when the fob battery got low, changed the battery and solved the lot

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-08-2016, 11:40 Thread Starter
Supporter

Hi GNU,

The thing is if the siren sounds to say immobilizer is active and you either jingle the key near the pick up or press unlock then after turning the immobilizer off it turns over and over and over and won't fire. sorry I forgot to mention this.
It does it with both fobs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2016, 21:24 Thread Starter
Supporter

does anyone have any ideas on the problem? :P

not sure where to start next lol
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-08-2016, 05:12
Rover Lifestyle

Car: Rover 200 (95-99) 'Bubble Shape'
Your mentioning letting fuel pump finish priming, it will also not fire up. Actually for me letting immobilizer kick in and letting fuel pump to finish priming could mean the same issue as you are letting some time to pass before you try to start the engine.

You did not mention, if you changed the fuel pump or not?

Also have you checked the basics when you cannot turn the engine to fire: fuel, sparks?