mg zs mk2 upgrades finally started - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 16:03 Thread Starter

Car: zs saloon td x power in goodwood green
mg zs mk2 upgrades finally started

HI all

Ive not got a lot to show because I'm crap at taking pictures and working at the same time, but the plan is to fit the following:

rear electric windows
heated seats
climate control
maybe park sensors but not sure if i like the look of them fitted

Ive completed the rear windows and to be honest it was that fast and simple to do it doesn't need pics. Just take door panel off, unbolt window from reg, remove reg, unplug door loom and fit all new stuff back into the door. Takes around 20 mins a side to do from start to finish. I'll get some pics but there's not a lot to show to be honest

Next on the list was the heated seats, Ive got all the switches and relays from a donor car but i bought new seat heater pads from rimmers and ebay. I couldn't get the mg ones but the rover ones are basically the same. So seat out, remove covers which is pretty straight forward and then just fit the pads with d/s tape and refit the seat cover. job done.

just need to scrub the seats back to new now while they are out, but you get the idea

next on the list was the climate control, now to get the heater box out that needs changing its a dash out job due to the two top nuts holding the heater box to bulk head. I didn't take any pics of removal but once you get into it, it's a straight forward job, just work through it slowly till you get to this point.

and then with the heater box out

And that's as far as i got, i started about 12.00 Sunday and had all the above done by 4pm. Hopefully that will show anyone who wants to do the above mods that it really is worth having a go. Ive still got to strip my other rover out to the same state as the above pics to rip all the climate out so i can fit it in my mg. I'll try take more pics of the refit to show wiring etc.

Will update soon

Thanks
Glen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 16:46
Supporter

Car: MG TF 135, MG ZS+ 120
Garages
Send a message via MSN to LeRich
Good effort so far!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-02-2016, 17:05
gnu
Supporter

Car: MG ZS & Rover 200
Garages
That's quite a lot of stripping! Good work. Might be worth improving the sound proofing whilst all that's out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 15:18 Thread Starter

ok so a little update from progress so far

i had a bit of spare time wednesday so i ripped the cliamte out of my rover and started installing into the mg. it got dark before id really done anything on the mg and i was stuck on the wiring to be honest.
A huge thanks to Bren who came to my aid with what goes where etc. and gave me a full write up of the job. armed with this info i went out this morning to do the conversion. this is how it looked.

and after a bit of wireing and tidying i got to this stage

then a little work tidying before the test to see if it works

now its test time, i was pretty confident thats why id taped most of the loom back up, mainly because of brens clear instructions on the wireing. and hey presto

i could now breath easy and start rebuilding back up to how the mg looks now

im so happy with how it look and functions now

other things done were heated seats as per post above and rear electric windows

all parts have come from my trusty rover 45

nearly ready for the summer

and last but not least, how the rover looks now

Thats it for now, ive still got my tf mirror to fit then its onto tuning, i want to go the gt2056 route like zs phil but that may be a while of yet

thanks
Glen
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 19:54

Car: MG ZS
Hi Glen
Looking good mate, was glad to help with a bit of advice. I mentioned the tip on seat plugs before reassembly but only now after viewing pics thought about moving the SCU to behind the glove box as I have done in my car. It's something and nothing really but should you ever need to remove the SCU for work in future it's just easier when mounted behind glove box, so sorry about that Glen. If you do decide to move the SCU in future the wiring is long enough to position it behind the glove box without any mods.
Just a thought on seat base, have you tried operating heater with base disconnect to see if the back pad still warms up ? If it does then we are looking at a bad connection just on base pad as you can't have 2 new faulty base pads surely. I would remove base cover and try the above and then double check all the base link wires and plug connection.
Regards Bren.

Last edited by Bren10; 07-02-2016 at 20:06.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 21:38

Car: MG ZS
Glen here is my climate set up, bit non standard with 4 heated seat switches and sparkle silver paint. I had to cut, fill , flush and paint face plate to accommodate the extra seat switches which are for my rear heated seats, another of my firsts on the forum.
Couple of pics of other mods like illuminated switches, horn buttons, TF clock on top of dash, colour coded wheel and horn buttons. The mk1 dash switch is used for my retro fit headlamp wash, dimmer isn't working on it but it lights up along with power was.
I also fitted twin BMW lights in the boot as the single river unit was poor, door edge lights, puddle lights, footwell lights and Laguna rear interior light are among many little touches on the ZS and as I say I get bored easy lol.

Picture119_zps84e269b0.jpg Photo by PONTYDOG | Photobucket
Picture144_zpsc292d90c.jpg Photo by PONTYDOG | Photobucket
Picture435_zpsf2b5dfc8.jpg Photo by PONTYDOG | Photobucket
Picture433_zps49e6be9d.jpg Photo by PONTYDOG | Photobucket
Picture520_zps3731a539.jpg Photo by PONTYDOG | Photobucket
Picture519_zps61e5c14b.jpg Photo by PONTYDOG | Photobucket
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-02-2016, 21:52 Thread Starter

All quality mate. I'm guessing your an electrician. Lol. Car mods are cool. Love the rear heated seats and all the other stuff to be honest. You do realise your my go to guy now when I want to nick your ideas. Lol.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 15-02-2016, 18:18

Car: MG TF 115, TF 135, X Type Diesel, VW Polo 9n2
Send a message via Skype™ to HansonAutos
Care to share the guide on the wiring? I'm doing exactly the same as you at the moment and converting a ZS from an R45 and im completely stumped when it comes to the wiring.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 10:50 Thread Starter

Not much to report im afraid. Cars been sat in garage since around feb. Wasn't even able to go POL because of the weather.
Got the z out Sunday though for a clean and use it for work. Felt good to be back in it with the sun shining
I'm not great at taking pictures but thought i'd post a couple

Cheers
Glen