MGF 75th Anniversary Edition # 1864 - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 55 (permalink) Old 23-05-2015, 04:27 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Actually started yesterday but finished today first washed the 75th then clayed it and boy was the paint rough and dirty then used some paint renovator and finally waxed her:-

That was yesterday evening:-

late this afternoon.

Then this morning in the post a further upgrade bit of "Bling" if you like arrived in the form of a leather covered arm rest/cubby lid:-

OK it's Grey but it will be dyed just not sure as to if it should be Black of Grenadine red??? The reason for the leather covered one is that the original plastic one just feels cheap and flimsy unlike the more robust leatehr covered item. This one came off ebay for 10.99 delivered. It was rather dirty but a few minutes washing and scrubbing and it's come up rather well.

Then fixed and fitted the front air dam:-

To the front sub frame. After which it was check all her lights then wipers and washers .................... Hmmm drivers side washer worked the other day but not now so swapped the jet for one off the spare bonnet. Then had to muck about getting the jets hitting correctly so hopefully we are OK for the MOT in the morning.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 55 (permalink) Old 23-05-2015, 04:29 Thread Starter

Update ......she passed..No Advisories....Yaaaay

Well she passed the MOT with NO advisorys 8-) Whoopee :thumbsu: .

Have parked her up at home until the beginning of June when we will tax her.

After getting her taxed we have to get the alignment done properly as their gauges on the floor, no they didn't tell me that's what they use , have left it quite a way out. Got her checked on a Hunter machine so will getting it reset once she is legally on the road with RFL. will see if we can get some better tyres at least for the front before then.
post #43 of 55 (permalink) Old 23-06-2015, 08:38 Thread Starter

She has now done a few miles on the road including the trip down to Silverstone for MG-Live for the weekend.

With 4 new boots and the aligment set up correctly she drives very well indeed.

However running has now shown a couple of issues that require attention:-

1) That weak or lazy tappet is not clearing so will need replacing.

2) The heater valve is not turning off so the heater is on all the time.

Not earth shaking but it means more stripping down to sort out now next month will order a second pair of Falken 914's so she will have a matching set of boots and the new rears she currently has will go onto "Elsie" whom also needs new tyres.

post #44 of 55 (permalink) Old 30-07-2015, 10:15 Thread Starter

Well the 2nd pair of Falkens will have to wait another month as the funds have been spent ona replacement exhaust instead so that "Elsie" the 97 VVC can have hers back.

On one of the forums someone was offering a S/S MGOC Super Sports MGF box so after a little haggling a deal was agreed which also included a pair of TF 135 cams adapted to Distributor use:-

Tha cams

The complete exhaust. The 6 stud manifold and front pipe will be going onto "Elsie" the small CAT and box are already on the 75th:-

A quick run up the road confirms that the tone is deeper but not really any louded. We need a good run out to fully test it. The box needs tweaking to get the alignment perfect but that can wait until after this weekend wetaher permitting of course.

Another little milestone is passed Now we just have to check what is needed to do the cam swap using the opportunity to change that lazy/sticking tappet at the same time.
post #45 of 55 (permalink) Old 02-08-2015, 08:01 Thread Starter

After the run over to Gaydon yesterday (Saturday) for MGF20 I can confirm that the Supersports exhaust is not for those whom don't like deep and loud. On the Motorway at certian speeds/loads it booms a fair bit and some may find this tiring.

As the weather held is was top down all day with drivers window down but passegers up. Gave her a bit of a work out on the motorway and on a couple of other suitable roads and she behaved perfectly. Getting and fitting a front spoiler or splitter is planned but undecided as to which would suit her best as yet.

"Blue" of course has a KH Style splitter whilst "Elsie" came with a trophy style one and I like the look of both................................. Ho-Hum?????????
post #46 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-08-2015, 02:38 Thread Starter

OK so finally got around to swapping the drivers door handle over. When she arrived the handle was broken so as a temp measure and to get a working and retained handle I fitted a Tahiti blue one that I had from the VVC donor. Had to swap the lift for the chrome one of course but it worked.

Have been keeping eyes open for one in the correct colour ........................... fat chance it seems of finding a Mulbery Red one!

But did stumble across a Plum one on ebay. Bit expensive at 30 but I bought it and it's now fitted:-

Not quite the correct shade of Red but it's a lot better than the Tahiti Blue one!!!

The next job is to sort out the weak/lazy inlet tappets so started that and the cam swop Sunday afternoon. Another reason for tackling this is that is seems that the cam ladder was leaking oil into the plug holes:-

Only a matter of time before this caused missfires.

cleaned off.

Turns out that both inlet tappets on #3 were weak so have changed them for a better pair from the cache of parts. The TF 135 cams are in and cam ladder refitted but due to interuptions will have to complete the work Monday time and weather permitting.
post #47 of 55 (permalink) Old 17-08-2015, 03:06

Car: MGZR and sonic blue TF spark 135
Thumbs up

some transformation !
post #48 of 55 (permalink) Old 19-08-2015, 08:10 Thread Starter

Thank you ........................... the 135 cams are fitted and she now no longer tappity tapps when running................................... well so far so good!

With the cams fitted the exhaust note seems a little louder. Need to check the tightness of the exhaust joints as she is producing a lot of burbling and popping on over run so need to check for leaks. So far have not explored the extra power that should be there as it seems it's produced up towards the top of the RPM range.

Driving her normally she seem to rev eagerly but no real difference is noted aprt from the deep exhaust note that is. Have new plugs on order just have to order the cap and rotor arm plus new leads then once they are all here service the engine along with an oil and ilter change. Will also ditch the open cone K&N 57i and fit a TF 160 set up with performance panel filter with intakes routed to the N/S intake vent.

She will be as ready as she can be then to find out just how well or poorly the modifications are performing.
post #49 of 55 (permalink) Old 14-09-2015, 08:41 Thread Starter

Tyre update

Although she had new tryes on her my 97 VVC also needs new treads and to that aim had purchased a pait of Nankang NS-2's in 205/45 R16 to try. Took a pair of rims to be blasted and painted which we got back the other week so allowing time for paint to harden last Thursday 10th September had the tyes fitted.

This weekend just passed was "The Autumn Weekender" so a fairly good run out so decided to try the 205's on the front of the 75th. What I can say is that reducing the width seems o have made her more stable and reduce the twitchyness on raised lines, tar bands, and uneven roads. With the 215 width all round the steering is twitchy which might be made worse by the 5mm spacers increasing the front track by 10mm?

Any way I am so impressed but the improvement that ma now considering getting another pair of 205's so both F's running Multispoke wheels can have 205's up front.

Ahhh yes I moved the Falken 914's off the front to the rear so she is running these Nankang NS-2's up front with Falken 914's on the rear right now.
post #50 of 55 (permalink) Old 03-12-2015, 20:44 Thread Starter

It would see that we have an air leak on the cooling system as the tank is staying pressurised and the level being forced down. This wind and rain is not ideal to trouble shoot so she is parked up until we get some drier calmer weather.
post #51 of 55 (permalink) Old 06-01-2016, 23:13 Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Oh dear nowt but trouble it seems. The new 6 stud TF front pipe has failed at a welded flexi joint. So Tuesday that is being swapped for a another new front pipe and the failed one is then going back for a warranty claim. It seems that they don't want to know about the fitting charges but I am going to persue this as this pipe was only bought and fitted in mid August 2015 and I don't see why we should be out of pocket for a shoddy product.

With the engine cover removed to access the O2 sensors plug this will be the time to change the plug leads and fit the new cap and rotor arm. Will also take a look at the plugs as I might even have new one to go in. Will have to check about that and see what is in the store.

Oh I do not like the new forum look ............................ it's horrible!
post #52 of 55 (permalink) Old 07-01-2016, 01:23

Car: brm,mgf'mg zr1.4,mg zr 160 ,honda goldwing,jawa 125 caferacer
Whats she like with the 135 cams, ive got a pair to fit but im waiting for better weather to do them.
post #53 of 55 (permalink) Old 30-01-2016, 21:50

Car: ZS180, ZR160, TF135, R25IS
I thought I recognised this F.

It was at Arbuckles in Downham Market!
post #54 of 55 (permalink) Old 22-05-2016, 10:27 Thread Starter

Sorry for the tardiness of replying have not been on the forums for a while. Too many family things happening.

Yes we were at Arbuckles at the Eastern Meet we attend those we can. Now the 135 cams have given an improvement but it is hard to quantify it and until we can afford to get her onto the Dyno .............. well until then we will not know how well or poorly she is doing.
post #55 of 55 (permalink) Old 22-05-2016, 10:36 Thread Starter

An update.

Well it has been a year now since we returned the 75th to road use. Her MOT ran out on 21st May 2016 so last weekend we gave her the once over. Removed the front wheels and then after a pressure washing off removed the front brke pads from the 2 pot AP's and cleaned the calipers and pads before reinstalling them with a smear of copper grease.

Had the wheel alignmnt redone as it was out ........................ results of our dreadful crater filled roads and booked her in for the test ................................................ which she failed... Emissions.

The sports or smaller type CAT that came on the S/S Super Sport exhaust was just no good CO2 was 1.76 and not dropping so have nicked the MG-Rover factory CAT that I bought for Blue off her and fitted it tot eh 75th and got a retest the next day. Passed in fact flew through CO2 now 0.00% and no advisories. Lost a couple of days off the old test but we have another year on the road.

Of course now I need a new CAT for Blue so once her rear brakes are sorted and she is all running again she can go for her MOT ready to be sold.