My '87 Rover 213SE - Page 3 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #41 of 137 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 21:48

Car: 218VVC Coupe'
I...I don't even know what to say about this. I'm in awe of the dedication to a well-loved car which - to be fair - isn't generally cherished highly by the community.

I've really enjoyed this so far and can't wait to see how it all ends up. Good luck, Jacinto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 137 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 21:49

Car: 2014 MG3 Style Lux and 2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sportspack
Send a message via MSN to MGR_Petrolhead
Ive been following this for a while and have to say its a great thead - thank you for updating us. It is very rare to see a 200 mk1 here.
post #43 of 137 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 22:21 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 (84-90)
Send a message via MSN to Jacinto
Thanks, to both of you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I...I don't even know what to say about this. I'm in awe of the dedication to a well-loved car which - to be fair - isn't generally cherished highly by the community.

I've really enjoyed this so far and can't wait to see how it all ends up. Good luck, Jacinto.
I've got to be honest.

There was a time when I really hated this car. It looked like a car for the old people (I thought). That was when my dad bought the Concerto, and som as every little kid would do, for me it was the best car in the world because it was "mine". This meant that, being aware of the fact that the SD3 and later Rovers were related to it, I had to came up with something in order to make them worse than the Honda. The styling was it.

But time passed by, and I started to appreciate cars by whatever they were, and I realized that the 213 was, in fact, a better car than the Concerto, specially because of the quality, elegance, ride comfort - and the 213 was an older car. From that moment, I started to like the Rover more, and more, until the day I made the decision to keep it.

So, until now, I was able to eliminate the two aspects which I didn't like in the car - the heavy, imprecise, indirect steering and the engine, which, wasn't bad at all, but it wasn't that good either, it felt very weak after 110-120kph (around 70mph, I think).

In Portugal, these cars are seen as strong, cheap cars. So, there are generally two kinds of people who own them: their original owners, as it would happen with my grandfather, if the 213 had power steering, or teenagers who have them as first car, or as "rally" car, so, they are treated like crap.

Here you have an example:

It's sad to see such a good little car being wasted this way. It really is.

post #44 of 137 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 22:33

Car: 218VVC Coupe'
Jacinto, I understand the idea of falling in love with a car because it's your first. There's probably few people here that don't understand that at some level, even if the cars themselves weren't that great. And let's face it, your first car probably won't be particularly wonderful.

But that was a very interesting (but not particularly surprising) insight into the way that older Rovers are viewed and the videos were a little bit sad to be honest. It was like watching a young cowboy abuse a sturdy, faithful old horse.
post #45 of 137 (permalink) Old 28-07-2011, 23:11 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
Jacinto, I understand the idea of falling in love with a car because it's your first. There's probably few people here that don't understand that at some level, even if the cars themselves weren't that great. And let's face it, your first car probably won't be particularly wonderful.

But that was a very interesting (but not particularly surprising) insight into the way that older Rovers are viewed and the videos were a little bit sad to be honest. It was like watching a young cowboy abuse a sturdy, faithful old horse.
But this wasn't supposed to be my first car. Originally, I was looking for an R8, or a 45. The thing is... It will be my first one because I fell in love with it. Otherwise, it would probably end up in the scrapyard.
post #46 of 137 (permalink) Old 30-07-2011, 10:44

Car: '13 BMW 125i M Sport
Send a message via MSN to JoeyTaffy93
Really nice 213SE.

It's nice too see your putting so much work into it. As you said though it's part of your memories.

I've always liked Rovers as I've always grown up with them as my nan has always had one except a brief stint of owning a 2003 Astra for a year.

The first Rover I remember was my nans 1993 (year I was born) wedge shape Rover 214 in red. It's till going to strong now with a friend of my uncles (her son).
post #47 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-08-2011, 12:35

Car: Rover 800
Jacinto, nice to follow these messages and to know how someone takes care of a 200 Seies MKI

It was the firt Rover my family had and I enjoyed so much it been a child.
Unfortunately very few survives here (they were sold in 216 form, or 1.6 carburattor or injection, with two levels of trim, S, SE and Vitesse.

In my trips to Portugal, I am aware of the popularity of the 213 in the streets.
As I know the fame of the 1.3 engine by Honda, as my uncle owned latter a Acclaim, I am not surprised about.
the 1.6 injection got some problems in the sistem that made a bit difficult to mantein properly.
And of course, not any Vitesse left unfortunately.

by the way, which webpages do you use there to sell/buy cars? from Spain must be not difficult maybe to buy something nice (The 400 Tourer was not at sale here neither).

Thank you for the attention taken to the car and your long explanations and photos.

obligado,
Albert
post #48 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 15:52 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by authi View Post
Jacinto, nice to follow these messages and to know how someone takes care of a 200 Seies MKI

It was the firt Rover my family had and I enjoyed so much it been a child.
Unfortunately very few survives here (they were sold in 216 form, or 1.6 carburattor or injection, with two levels of trim, S, SE and Vitesse.

In my trips to Portugal, I am aware of the popularity of the 213 in the streets.
As I know the fame of the 1.3 engine by Honda, as my uncle owned latter a Acclaim, I am not surprised about.
the 1.6 injection got some problems in the sistem that made a bit difficult to mantein properly.
And of course, not any Vitesse left unfortunately.

by the way, which webpages do you use there to sell/buy cars? from Spain must be not difficult maybe to buy something nice (The 400 Tourer was not at sale here neither).

Thank you for the attention taken to the car and your long explanations and photos.

obligado,
Albert
Thanks, Albert!

I was not aware that the 400 Tourers weren't sold in Spain.

Here in Portugal, the most used webpages are the OLX (http://www.olx.pt) and StandVirtual (http://www.standvirtual.com/).

Here you have some photos of an astonishing Vitesse from the MG-Rover club in Portugal (it had just been polished, that's why the front badge, wheel centers and side indicators are missing).

It only has 40 000km!

Now, some news about my 213.

The engine temperature would require too much time to get to its normal values. And also, we saw that there was a coolant leak from the water pump.

So, time to get the 213 on the garage:

The thermostat was changed.

And the water pump was... Well, ruined.

Immediately after this, our Tourer broke down. HGF, of course! Still, we know that something wasn't quite right, as some months before we saw a little amount of oil in the expansion vase.

So, just to have an idea, I got the Classic wheels on the side of the 213.

I am thinking on buying some Regal wheels, from an 214SEi, as I can't get the Lattice ones, from a Vitesse.

On the August 26th, I got my driver's license. So, I celebrated it that night.

Some photos, with a friend's ZS 105:

post #49 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 15:59 Thread Starter

This week, I was travelling on the higway at 120km/h (around 70mph, I think), when my right front indicator decided to fly away. Nothing I wasn't already expecting, as I noticed that it was already loose, and that had happened before on the left side.

When the left side indicator broke, my dad didn't bought a genuine unit. And now, about 3 or 4 years after, it is already damaged.

And last Friday I took some photos near the beach.

And that's it, for now.
post #50 of 137 (permalink) Old 11-09-2011, 16:07 Thread Starter

Actually, I forgot something, when I talked about the Vitesse. Here is something that the owner did, and I think I will also do, but with black stitching:

post #51 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-12-2011, 13:56 Thread Starter

Immediatly after my last post, the 213 recieved some presents:

Something to do in the future:

Then, I recieved the letter regarding my acceptance on the University of Coimbra. So, I went there to drop some things, as I had to move "permanently" to the city on the following week:

Unfortunately, there was a catch, two days before my departure: I broke the car keys inside the ignition switch. Still, the problem was solved at the moment!

So, I went to Coimbra.

The next day, there was a Meeting. And so, the 213 made its debut on these events.

But I didn't want it to go with the "naked" steel wheels, so I borrowed some Regal 15" from a 214SEi.

And here you have the three 200 generations, side by side:

And on the next day, the meeting:

post #52 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-12-2011, 14:03 Thread Starter

Some experiments I made on the Viking:

And the lost side repeater.

As I always wanted to have clear lenses on these repeaters, I was given a pair of those.

Shortly after the 210k km mark:

[IMG][/IMG]

In a trip which was made with my brother's company:

He tried to make a video:

02102011008.mp4 - YouTube
post #53 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-12-2011, 14:07 Thread Starter

Then, the windscreen was replaced:

I had the exhaust tip fitted:

And the clock light replaced:

As I had to give the Regal wheels back to its owner, and I didn't want to have the 213 without any wheel caps, I had the Montego ones fitted:

post #54 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-12-2011, 14:21 Thread Starter

In the beginning of the month, I had a small accident with the Rover. This was the result:

Fortunately, the damages were not so bad, only some scratches, a broken headlamp and repeater, and the left bumper mount got out of its place

Immediatly after that, I started to sort it out, with the precious help of other MG-Rover Portugal members:

Still, it looked like the 213 was having some bad days, and after this, I had a broken engine mount.

Once again, fortunately, my dad came to the rescue and everything was as it should be in a short time!

Later that day, the 213 went to the Mg-Rover Portugal Christmas event.

I decided to try some Hairpin wheels from a MG ZS, in order to see how would 16" wheels fit in the 213.

I was thinking I would not like the result, but actually, I think they look rather well on it! If it wasn't the abusive ground clearance, they would be perfect.

Still, I don't think they are the appropriate wheels for the project I have in mind.
post #55 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-12-2011, 14:24 Thread Starter

Knowing that I was going to my grandmother's house for Christmas, I decided to give my present to the Rover before the weekend, and so I waxed it.

What I didn't knew was that the 213 was having another present:

Now, I have to buy some tires, and then, they will be fitted!
post #56 of 137 (permalink) Old 16-06-2012, 02:15 Thread Starter

Update: 214k kms, back at February!

New wheels installed.

Rolling photos:

And then I noticed there was a noise coming from the brakes... And somehow, they felt like if they were fading.

Here's why:

A goodbye photo of the Concerto which gave its engine to the 213.

The "Clube MG-ROVER Portugal" Key Ring.

A new present: original mudflaps

post #57 of 137 (permalink) Old 16-06-2012, 02:30 Thread Starter

My 213 with a 216 Vitesse... At a scrapyard. Yes, the Vitesse was scrapped shortly after, and I wasn't able to stay with the prettier front bumper, vented disc brakes callipers, and leather steering wheel... I feel so bad on letting those things get away.

My 213, a friend's ZS 105 and another friend's Citroen AX 1.1i Image. Both are nice cars, in totally opposite ways :P

MoT test done... With no concerns!

This photo was taken at late April, this year.

This one was taken late April... 1987. 25 years ago!

It was the 213's first photo, as mine was first registered April 14th 1987. Happy 25th anniversary!

As a gift, I offered him new floor mats.

Then I had the opportunity to compare it with a mk3 Honda Civic.

The 213 is superior in... Well, every possible way. It is better looking, better finished, it has lots of more equipment, it looks newer, it has better seats and better driving position, it is less noisy, and so on.

Oil change... Since September, I already made 15 000km. But, as you will see, the 213 has been in the garage since early May.

"Walnut" centre console:

Another set os 16" wheels, just for fun

post #58 of 137 (permalink) Old 16-06-2012, 02:39 Thread Starter

The beggining of the soundproofing process.

MG-Rover Portugal dinner:

And then... It seems that the K-series are not the only ones to have HGF at my house...

So I switched to my dad's 416 Tourer. Great little Estate, I'm loving it!

But the 213 is now under repair, and it will be back on the road as soon as the head gasket is repaired, the suspension and bushes are replaced, as well as the steering rack bushes, and a little bodywork service as well.

But first, the 213 was loosing brake fluid from the rear brakes.

Now they are sorted out.

I managed to fit some 17 cm speakers at the front... And now I can drive on the highway withou hearing either the engine noise or distorsion on the speakers.

And that's all.
post #59 of 137 (permalink) Old 17-06-2012, 20:14

Car: 2014 MG3 Style Lux and 2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sportspack
Send a message via MSN to MGR_Petrolhead
I really like following this thread, even more so since all of our mk1 200s have pretty much gone!
post #60 of 137 (permalink) Old 17-06-2012, 22:00

Car: R25 1.4 / Streetwise TD
Send a message via Skype™ to Zaidain
Got to say i'm not a fan of changing the engine for a honda unit but despite that i'm a huge fan of the thread. This young lad knows a good car when he see's one and is clearly doing his upmost to keep it as sound as he can.

Well done to you sir!