My '87 Rover 213SE - Page 7 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
post #121 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-12-2013, 08:48

Car: Rover 623 GSI
Yes as mentioned the 623 has the 2.3l Honda DOHC engine:-

Here she is:-

This is how I found her when i arrived to pick her up:-

She must have been filthy as they used the hose and pressure washer so much they filled up the plug recesses in the head. Not no black left on the cam cover. I cleaned it and painted it black. I need to do a better job on it at some point.

The exhaust manifold heat shield was rattling. Picked up another but it's starting to go on the lower bolt hole too. So this is awaiting plating. The manifold will have to come off as the bolts sheared of in the iron manifold.

New studs will be fitted at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 137 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 18:40 Thread Starter

Car: Rover 200 (84-90)
Send a message via MSN to Jacinto
I didn't knew that engine! I don't think it came in any 600 model, in Portugal. The bigger engines were the 2.0s, petrol (Honda/Rover) or diesel.

She looks lovely! Nice colour!

Well, some updates:

I had my front speakers 10 to 17cm adapter correctly fixed.

And I changed my valve cover and gasket.

Before:

Now:

And I lowered the front a little bit, so it could be even with the back.

I left some clearance, because Portuguese roads are far, far from good. In some areas, even far from acceptable.

And another mod: the illuminated storage compartment (ex- cassette compartment)

I will have to get some ashtray brackets from two 213s, so that the bulbs could be hidden on the top, and the light would be more homogeneous.
post #123 of 137 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 19:58

Car: '13 BMW 125i M Sport
Send a message via MSN to JoeyTaffy93
Looking good, nice job. I do like what you're doing with it.

As for your roads being bad? Take a little road trip to Britain and use our "brilliant" roads... You'd think you're in a third world country.

post #124 of 137 (permalink) Old 14-02-2014, 20:14 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyTaffy93 View Post
Looking good, nice job. I do like what you're doing with it.

As for your roads being bad? Take a little road trip to Britain and use our "brilliant" roads... You'd think you're in a third world country.
Thanks!

I'd like to do that!

Maybe in a few years, and probably on my and my brother's Minis... We would really enjoy a road trip to the UK, so both our Minis could be at home (well, not really... My brother's was manufactured on South Africa and mine came in CKD kits from the UK, to a Portuguese factory where they where assembled). :P

Actually, I am looking forward to move to the UK after I finish my studies... Things here in Portugal are very bad, regarding jobs, even for those who have some years of experience. We'll see how it goes, but I would like to be there around 2 and a half or 3 years from now.
post #125 of 137 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 23:48

Car: Classic Rover
Hi jacinto, I'm portuguese aswell, now I'm living in uk but I have a rover 213 SE in madeira.. I will talk portuguese with you..

Olá tenho procurado por fotos e restauraçoes em rover 213 mas é complicado de encontrar e encontrei a tua, se calhar a unica que tem na internet. Tava a pensar rebaixar o meu, sei que a frente é na barra de torçao, certo? e atras como rebaixas-te? e quanto te custou as molas novas..

tenho algumas duvidas, se pudesses ajudar agradecia
E parabéns pelo carro, esta mesmo 5*
post #126 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:53 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover213SE View Post
Hi jacinto, I'm portuguese aswell, now I'm living in uk but I have a rover 213 SE in madeira.. I will talk portuguese with you..

Olá tenho procurado por fotos e restauraçoes em rover 213 mas é complicado de encontrar e encontrei a tua, se calhar a unica que tem na internet. Tava a pensar rebaixar o meu, sei que a frente é na barra de torçao, certo? e atras como rebaixas-te? e quanto te custou as molas novas..

tenho algumas duvidas, se pudesses ajudar agradecia
E parabéns pelo carro, esta mesmo 5*
Hello!

À frente substitui os parafusos da afinação de altura por uns mais compridos, como já vou mostrar neste post!

Atrás, comprei umas molas no UK, da PI Springs, para o Civic no qual o 213 é baseado. Estas: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIVI...item461136ce10

Porém, ainda não estou 100% contente com o comportamento da traseira, está demasiado saltitona, e espero que fique resolvido quando mandar adaptar os amortecedores. Qualquer coisa, é só dispôr, e peço desculpa pelo atraso na resposta!

--------------------

Well, it's time for a new update. The torsion bar height adjustment bolts I used were only to have a preview of what I could do with the front height.

So, I ordered new ones, just like the original ones, but with more thread to play with.

They were installed...

And I thik I overdone it. :P

No worries, nothing that a 17cm spanner and a jack couldn't solve, now, in less than 5 minutes.

I lifted it a bit, and took him to the MoT, which he passed:

Back to the 15" wheels:

And so, he was ready to be my daily drive, again. I have to say I really missed it!

The front suspension modifications were spot on. It didn't got the car harder (or maybe it did, but slightly), but I noticed it could handle the bends better, leaning a bit less.

The rear suspension is still the problem. It is quite bouncy over bumps, but not so bad at higher speeds, on B-roads or highway.

I think the problem is due to the shock absorbers. THey are not working as they should, so, I will have the original pair of shocks adapted to the lowering the car had. I hope this will sort it out.

I'll leave these shots here:

And this is it! It has been a real pleasure having the 213 back
post #127 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 16:13 Thread Starter

In the meanwhile, thanks to both work during summer and college since then, I had no time to update the thread.

So:

First, some photos taken when a friend of mine with a "grandson" of my 213 came to visit:

In the meanwhile, he got the 235 00km mark.

And my birthday gift, from by brother and his girlfriend:

I just loved it!

Then, after some days away from home, when I decided to take my dad's 416 Tourer because I had to transport some thing which wouldn't fit on the 213, I saw this when I arrived home.

The car had been almost one year just sitting in the garage, without any kind of trouble... But this time, after just a couple of days, this happened! I think it was my brother's dog (she was the only one sleeping in the garage).

On the door:

Front wing:

This is the only scratch that could be noticed after the first stage.

Bonnet:

After the bath:

The deeper scratches on the wing corner are much older than these new ones

These on the door were the ones that scared me.

And on the "eyebrow", just like if the rock marks weren't enough...

I didn't want to use the polisher just yet.... I was just going to do it when the rust was repaired and the car painted.

But I couldn't see him like this, so I worked on the afected areas, just to see if he would need a more "hardcore" treatment.

So, I started here... Since it was a panel that would need to be painted soon, I had nothing to lose.

As I liked the results, I decided to go for the front right wing.

These are relfection lines, not scratches:

post #128 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 16:30 Thread Starter

Always in good company!

In the end, what scared me the most got completely "clean". Mainly the door and bonnet.

As a bonus, the "eyebrow" now looked much better, without some older scratches. But still, the rock marks were still there, as well as some of the consequences of my small accident, just after I had the drivers' license. So, even knowing that now I feel it will be a shame, this will still be painted (as was already planned).

Not everything went that well, and, even after some practice on other cars and after being warned, I made my first "burnout" on a paint job.

The scratches on the front right wing were still too much noticeable, so I insisted a little bit. Not as much as I thought that could make this, but there was already a tiny lack of varnish, so, it was fragile, and I shouldn't have done it.

So, one more thing to be painted, in the near future!

Then, I had to replace a bulb (oh, these unreliable British cars... The just keep giving trouble! Or maybe not :P )

When I tried to remove it, it just broke.

So, I whent to my old "lamp box" to see if I could find something.

There was just one.

After that, time for a quick bath. But first, some photos with the slightly older brother!

When I was drying him, a package arrived:

I know that, by then, it was still November... But it seemed that Christmas got there earlier, last year

Finally, the much needed NOS rear panel, so that I could start the bodywork on the 213
post #129 of 137 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 17:39 Thread Starter

By the end of 2014, I found a 213SE on a "dismantling center" (fancy name given in Portugal to scrapyards), which had leather seats. But they looked like this...

They were asking me about 50€ for them. But, even still, I decided not to bring them... I know, I want them so much... And they are very rare, but it would be so expensive to get them refurbished that I let them go. I have many other items that are more urgent, in which I have to spend money on.

Still, I brought the door cards (they are even more rare than the seats, because there was the 213 Executive in Portugal, with leather seats but without leather doorcards) and wiper/headlights stalks, because mine was broken.

Some experiments I am doing:

Visually, they will be like this (but colour-coded)... But I will have to make some changes to fix them to the car.

This all started when a friend of mine with a 216 Vitesse told me that it was a shame that the Vitesse never had a proper body kit (in a MG Zx sort of way), besides the front lip on the bumper and rear spoiler on the boot.

So, I searched and I came across the TWR kit...

... Which looks so terrible. So, I searched again and found some skirts that would fit the XH shape, without looking "forced".

I also thought it was stupid that the Vitesse was fitted with a front lip which made it look like that the side profile was like "stairs" (The front is lower than the middle, and the rear is even higher than the middle).

Some more photos:

post #130 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-10-2015, 20:34

Car: Other Manufacturer
Hello Jacinto,

So nice tread! Congratulations for all the passion you give to your beautiful green 213

And specoam thanks for the good information you gave.

I just got a 1987 Rover 213S, with very few original milleage... But some work to do on it : I try to learn and get the maximum information I can before starting all the maintenance needed.

Ciaoo!
post #131 of 137 (permalink) Old 13-02-2016, 16:51

Car: Other Manufacturer
I'm overwhelmed!
Just read all the thread and you've been doing an awesome work with the car!
Wow!!

I own a cousin of your Rover, an Honda Civic Sedan Mk3.

I have it only a few months, I m still discovering the car.

I know there are some compatible parts.

Like you I also have the wipers/lights piece broken.
How hard it is to replace it?

An other question, I have some water infiltration in the trunk, did it ever happen to you?

Keep updating!
post #132 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 13:49 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 213S View Post
Hello Jacinto,

So nice tread! Congratulations for all the passion you give to your beautiful green 213

And specoam thanks for the good information you gave.

I just got a 1987 Rover 213S, with very few original milleage... But some work to do on it : I try to learn and get the maximum information I can before starting all the maintenance needed.

Ciaoo!
Thanks! And congratulations about your "new" purchase

If you need anything, I will be glad to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvega View Post
I'm overwhelmed!
Just read all the thread and you've been doing an awesome work with the car!
Wow!!

I own a cousin of your Rover, an Honda Civic Sedan Mk3.

I have it only a few months, I m still discovering the car.

I know there are some compatible parts.

Like you I also have the wipers/lights piece broken.
How hard it is to replace it?

An other question, I have some water infiltration in the trunk, did it ever happen to you?

Keep updating!

Thanks!

Well, it isn't that hard. You need to remove the steering wheel, the steering column plastic, the electrical plugs and then remove the commuter.

Some pics of the process:

I decided to leave a mark on the right position, so that I could fit the steering wheel in the right position:

You need to remove this clip:

Unscrew these bolts:

Remove these connections:

And unscrew these bolts (for the top one, you need to have the stalk on the left indicator position, and for the bottom one on the right)

I decided to lubricate the new commuter on the indicator stalk, because I always hated that "dry", hard noise it did when I used it.

And that was it
post #133 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 15:08 Thread Starter

So, since the last post, the 213 has only been in the garage. I promised myself I wouldn't drive it until the rust issue on the left rear quarter panel was solved (if I drove it, I wouldn't want to stop it for the repair, so it was better this way ). That was why I bought a 1996 Rover 400 to be my daily drive.

In the meanwhile I have done some things on him:

I had the plastic interior pillars covered with fabric:

I bought two new "A-pillars", as mine had the clips broken.

I also fitted the leather doorcards, after a good cleaning and conditioning.

This was the result:

The upholstered pillars:

A global view:

post #134 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 15:18 Thread Starter

Then, another of my ideas: I had a TID from an Opel (Vauxhall to you) Corsa B fitted on the storage compartment in the centre console. So, now I have the exterior temperature, and I have the digital clock place free so that it can be occupied by the interior lights' dimmer (it was offered only on the EFi version, as it was mounted where there is the choke handle on the non-EFi cars).

This TID was broken, and given to me so that I could work on the cluster, to have it fitted and good looking on the 213.

It is almost fully functional, as I used the wires that previously connected to the clock. The main difference were the 2 extra wires for the temperature sensor, and that the dimmer on the TID works differently than on the 213 clock. But I think I will be able to solve it :P

With the original, yellow bulbs:

With a green bulb on the right side, and none on the left.

The cluster is in the finishing process, and I will have it wrapped in vinyl that looks just the same as any other plastic on the centre console.

I already have a fully working TID to fit.
post #135 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 16:02 Thread Starter

Something that took me years to be convinced, but that now makes sense in this project: The Honda Concerto instrument panel.

I would like to keep the typical 80's look of the 213 instrument panel... But I was getting tired of the look of it, its illumination wasn't the best, and this car deserved something a bit more "agressive".

When I once took the 213 instrument panel, I noticed its shape was identical to the Concerto's. That was when I started to think about it. :P

As you can see, it fits perfectly on the 213's cluster!

But, it isn't "plug and play", at all. The electrical plugs are completely different (I made some schemes for that, following the Concerto's and 213's technical manuals), the supports are different, and the illumination has to be changed to green (the Concerto has no illumination filter, so, I will get some green bulbs).

As it was one of my biggest concerns, first I checked if there really was no filter on the Concerto instrument panel. I was right, there wasn't.

Then, the support... I was able to get a spare 213 instrument panel, so that I could cut the supports and "plastic weld" them to the Concerto's unit.

In here, the cluster supports were still missing, but you can have an idea of what I've done here:

Now, the electrical connections: I didn't want to waste the original wires, so I checked if I could remove them from the original plugs, and fit them to the Concerto's. This worked, and everything worked as it should! Well, almost, as I will show later:

After testing, something wasn't right with the fuel gauge. I thought that the sensor gave different values than those on the Concerto, hence the error. But I checked the technical manuals, and the values (luckily) were the same... So, I found out that there was a broken wire on the sensor coil, which my brother meticulously welded.

After this, with everything on its place:

YouTube
=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"> YouTube
&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

YouTube
=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1"> YouTube
&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340">

After all the testing, the cluster supports:

And this was it! Only the green bulbs are still missing.

I already tried some bulbs with green filter, and they had the effect I was looking for. So, I will buy some green bulbs and that should be it!

I still wasn't happy, so, with extra synthetic leather (not sure if this is the correct english name for it) at home, I decided to cover the central console. I was dumb enough to start with the most difficult part, the rear ashtray, in which I screwed up. So, I decided to try something to see if I liked it more (I glued a badge), which won't be applied once I cover it again:

This was what I did wrong, on the corners:

But I carried on with the rear power windows buttons and handbrake surrounding plastics:

These separate parts in the middle were for coins. I tried to open the coin openings, but I didn't like the looks of it. So, I also covered them up! If I make a "take 2" on this part, I will make it as as a whole piece, and then cover it with the fabric.

Original (left) VS covered (rigth)

With everything on its place:

So, now I just have to cover the radio/TID/button cluster sorrounding.

And also, something I didn't want before I did a "test-fit": The 216 Vitesse rear spoiler. So, it will be placed once I have the bodywork sorted.

Some random photos I had on the computer, from some years ago, with my brother's 200 Docklands and a friends MG ZR mk2:

post #136 of 137 (permalink) Old 01-03-2016, 16:46 Thread Starter

As I always wanted to have leather seats on my 213, I came across a conclusion: The original leather seats for the 213/216 are very rare in Portugal and, since the leather isn't very resistant, having in mind that the seats I showed before would cost me around 50€ but had to be completely re-upholstered, I decided to invest on something I would be more satisfied with, even knowing that they also had to be re-upholstered. So, I bought a pair of Rover 200/400 Recaro front seats which were very cheap, and adapted them to the 213.

Here's the first "test fit" I made, with just the drivers seat.

With these seats, I will obtain:

Lumbar support
Headreasts which effectively are height adjustable (the original headrest guides usually brake, and with that comes lots of rattles)
Side support (it wasn't that bad on the 213's seats at the back, but the bottom wasn't that supportive)
Height (well, actually, I will loose height, and that's good because I always said that the 213's driving position could be slightly lower )
Looks (boy, do these seats look good... And will look even better after the re-upholster)

The headrest is part of the test. I am too much used to the 213's headrests, and since they are compatible with these seats, I am thinking about re-upholster them too.
I think they look good and would give a rather composed look to the interior.

I want to have them re-upholstered following the 213/216 leather seats scheme (this is, with the seam scheme from the 213/216 but with Recaro's wonderful shape):

(Needless to say that the original rear seat will be re-upholstered just as on the previous picture, but with the headrests).
post #137 of 137 (permalink) Old 27-02-2017, 22:47

Saludos desde España. En primer lugar felicitar al autor de este post por el gran trabajo realizado.
Tengo un rover 216se, el motor se ha roto 3 veces, es muy poco fiable. Una vez se ha cambiado completo por uno de desguace y otras dos se ha reparado.
Mi pregunta es: ¿Qué motores son compatibles con este coche? Que sea casi "plug and play".
1.4i 16V 90cv honda? Prefiero 10 cv menos y que dure 10 años más ¿Hay más motores de honda que sirvan 1.5 o 1.6?
1.6i o 2.0i rover/austin montego?