Project B - MGBK - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
post #1 of 607 (permalink) Old 24-07-2010, 22:49 Thread Starter

Car: MGB-K 222bhp, BRM 192bhp, MG ZS 1.6 141bhp
Project B - MGBK

About 5 years ago the old man and I bought an MGB as a restoration project. It was a rubber bumper convertible modified for a Rover V8 engine, but, it was a non-runner. After taking it apart and completely stripping it down the bodywork was found to be 'ropey' to say the least. Work started rebuilding her, but with the BRM track project it got sidelined and has sat in the unit for a few years untouched and unloved.

Now that the BRM is basically finished we decided to resurrect the project but not as a restoration. As we have enjoyed the track days so much we have decided to make it into a track car primarily because it'll be a great fun rwd car.

The big decision was whether to keep it as a V8. A few factors affected our choice in this.....firstly we had a 3.9l EFI, but tuning it would cost a pretty penny, secondly we watched the MG racing at Brands and an Elise 190 K-series engined MGB destroyed a 3.9 V8 engined MGB, and lastly we had most of the parts already for a monster K!

So here it is, the first sneak preview photo's of our MGBK. It may take a while to finish, but as usual i'll keep you all updated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 607 (permalink) Old 24-07-2010, 22:58

Car: '64 Ford Focus and ZR160 Track Car
Send a message via MSN to Catterall1
This sounds very promising!
Cant wait to see it progress.
post #3 of 607 (permalink) Old 26-07-2010, 15:08

Car: '64 Ford Focus and ZR160 Track Car
Send a message via MSN to Catterall1
Just a quick question mate. Will you be using a proper vhpd head or a modified vvc head?

post #4 of 607 (permalink) Old 26-07-2010, 15:11 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catterall1 View Post
Just a quick question mate. Will you be using a proper vhpd head or a modified vvc head?
A proper vhpd head, so blanking kits, etc. It will be on solid lifters and will run much more aggressive cams than the BRM is currently running, so over 200bhp should be very achieveable
post #5 of 607 (permalink) Old 28-07-2010, 21:18 Thread Starter

Well here's where it started all those years ago. The car was bought complete (although not running) but you could tell that there were problems hiding under the skin. Unfortunately I don't have photos of the complete car.

The strip down began and eveything was removed from the shell, this photo gives you an idea of the car and its original colour...

It was then sent away for blasting to uncover all of those nasty little suprises...

It all doesn't look too bad form here and some areas were fine...

But there were a lot of bits that needed attention...

Sills were cut out to get at more rotten bits....

Lots of bits that needed replacing/fixing...

So that's where it all started. All of the rotten and damaged bits have either been replaced or welded up. New doors on here, she did have new fron and rear wings as well, but the recent decision to go for the Sebring kit means these have to come off now.

More to follow
post #6 of 607 (permalink) Old 29-07-2010, 07:48

Car: MGF vvc MK2
Keep em coming Adam, superb! Nuff said
post #7 of 607 (permalink) Old 12-08-2010, 10:03 Thread Starter

Mini update....(no pictures)

Windscreen is on to allow for measuring and fitment of the rollcage. Also the front coilover suspension (read pain in the bottom) is coming together slowly, but it's a weighty bit of kit!

Lots of bits being bought as well and we had the new HG, bolts, oil ladder delivered! It's the brand new Chinese jobby with the uprated bolts and gasket and I must say the gasket looks very impressive. It's almost thick enough to work as a de-comp plate, something like 7 layers!! I'll grab some pics when I'm at the unit in a couple of weeks
post #8 of 607 (permalink) Old 07-09-2010, 10:46 Thread Starter

Mini update.....

Still in the process of buying parts for her at the moment (god it gets expensive). Had a minor setback with the rear suspension leaf springs in that one end on each spring was too loose to accomodate the polybushes, so need to get a new set of springs.

Also need the rear axle setting up with the diff, which is a bit of a ballache getting the preloads right, etc. Once that's all done though she'll be plonked on some makeshift wheels and we can finally get it off the spinner to start welding in the rollcage and test mounting the engine.

Probably get a lot more work done over the winter so lots of pics to follow, but it's a slow process for now.
post #9 of 607 (permalink) Old 21-09-2010, 11:06 Thread Starter

Mini update....

Got to the unit at the weekend and finally cleared out a bunch of parts that were cluttering up the downstairs. This meant that the B could be rolled out of the corner and put onto the lift, then the spinner taken off for the first time in about 3/4 years!!

So now she's 'floating' on the lift we can mount the suspension/axles and get some makeshift wheels on her so the rollcage can be fitted and engine mocked up in place.

One small niggle with the front suspension was that the cross member is held in place by 4 bolts with rubber 'lipped' bushes that hold the bolts in place. This seemd crazy, as if the rubber deteriorates, the bolts will just 'flop' about in the holes. Cue some aluminium bushes being made to replace these and 'firm-up' the front end a bit. Might have some issues with shock transference but should be ok and should definitely tighten the steering a wee bit.
post #10 of 607 (permalink) Old 25-09-2010, 16:53 Thread Starter

Lots done today, the parts to go on so that we can mock everything up before painting are slowly going on so here are a few pics of the progress.

Floating car...

Offending hole that caused our problems mounting the front suspension...

Old bolts and spacers...

New home made spacers...

Front suspension gubbins....

And all mounted for mocking-up purposes....

Then it was onto the rear and putting the diff together...

Quaife, mmmm.....

Leaf springs on the rear...

Diff all in and mounted

Hubs to go on next and then she can go onto some wheels to weld in the rollcage...

post #11 of 607 (permalink) Old 25-09-2010, 20:48
Never forgotten

Car: Other Manufacturer. Previously - more Rovers than I care to remember.
Are you doing anything to improve the back axle location other than poly bushes? I'm no MGB expert, but I've driven a few and the back end seemed to be a bit wobbly especially on poor surfaces.
post #12 of 607 (permalink) Old 25-09-2010, 23:55 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1955diesel View Post
Are you doing anything to improve the back axle location other than poly bushes? I'm no MGB expert, but I've driven a few and the back end seemed to be a bit wobbly especially on poor surfaces.
Anti-tramp bars and better strapping is going on, obviously that's about all you can do to the original suspension. But of course you wont see them on yet as it's still being pre-built before paint
post #13 of 607 (permalink) Old 26-09-2010, 17:49
Never forgotten

I was thinking of tele dampers, lowering and perhaps parabolic springs. I would not think that would be too difficult to make up (apart from the springs), although I've never tried it of course!
post #14 of 607 (permalink) Old 27-09-2010, 08:52 Thread Starter

If cost weren't an issue then yes we'd change the whole rear set-up as it is a bit antiquated. But unfortunately we're playing with what we have for now, the V8 springs should help a wee bit too though. Plus if we ever wanted to enter the racing series then the rear really has to stay as leaf springs.
post #15 of 607 (permalink) Old 03-10-2010, 18:49 Thread Starter

Cage is going in slowly but surely...

post #16 of 607 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 15:20 Thread Starter

More cage action from this latest set of photo's.

Changed the windscreen bar and put in the roof cross bar...

A spot of grinding...

Side lower bars...

B-pillar cross and lower bar tacked in...

Usually the rear bars on MGB's go forward of the rear bulkhead for ease, but we didn't like the angle so took a more drastic approach.

Holes cut in rear bulkhead and boxes made for the rear bars...

Rear bars mocked in place...

post #17 of 607 (permalink) Old 17-10-2010, 20:23 Thread Starter

Cage is 90% there now, only the door bars and harness bars to go

post #18 of 607 (permalink) Old 28-10-2010, 19:24 Thread Starter

Had to make brackets for the hard top and get it fitting properly as it's not a standard piece. Pretty much mounted now, still got a lot of prep work to do on it though. Also the wing is trial mounted now, brackets are still in rough so still need some work...

post #19 of 607 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 20:21

Car: TT MGF #0002
Send a message via MSN to gotenks1321
Looks like a lot of fun Will be keeping an eye on this as loved seeing the progress with your BRM
post #20 of 607 (permalink) Old 02-11-2010, 20:51
Never forgotten

I really like the look of that. Is it going to have glass or plastic windows?