Project B - MGBK - Page 5 - MG-Rover.org Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 21 votes, 4.81 average. Display Modes
post #81 of 607 (permalink) Old 20-03-2011, 19:19 Thread Starter

Car: MGB-K 222bhp, BRM 192bhp, MG ZS 1.6 141bhp
Looks great there Nick! Can I ask how you've mounted your alternator, can't quite make it out from the picture, as this is something we're currently considering as it's a bit awkward?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 607 (permalink) Old 20-03-2011, 19:20 Thread Starter

So Saturday was a big day for us as we finally made up the engine mounts. It's a big job getting an engine to sit level with mounts that you're making yourself but I reckon we've done a grand job. So here are a lot of photo's of what was a big achievement for us...

The basic shape was made up by creating a plate to attach to the engine (made using a dummy engine block) and a plate to attach to the mounting rubber. We then cut card templates the fashion the 'joining' triangles nd welded it all together, voila...

Cutting and shaping...

Getting there...

And the other one...

Now with added tops...

Putting them in and removing the blocks...

And then the big moment of truth, would the engine actually sit level with the mounts back in place...

Looks pretty damn good to me

So with that mission accomplished we started playing around with the head and bodies to get a better idea of locating the various other engine components, so here are a few random photos for your viewing pleasure...

Head resting in place...

Can anyone guess what type of head this is...

Starter motor goes the 'wrong' way round on this bad boy...

Bodies......mmm......

Anyone ever wondered what the new N-series gasket looks like, well this...

post #83 of 607 (permalink) Old 21-03-2011, 21:16

Car: MGB
engine and alternator mount

I used the Frontline mounts as I dont have th etime or facilities to make my own. The FL mount positioned my engine perfectly so that I didnt need to lose the std heater box / matrix, keeping the engine bay looking very much as standard (ish) - the VVC mechanism (VVC160) just misses the bulkhead. A cut had to be made from the NS bulkhead to miss the water outlet pipe from the head. - Leave plenty of room here. We (plenty of help from my mate Chris) cut a step out of the suspension x member - see pic, similar to you. Make sure you have plenty of room width-wise, and allow good room for the oil take-off and clearance to get the alt belt on / off. I also had a step cut out of the ally sump - this works well. I'll post pics.

The NS mount incorporates the alt pivot mount anf there is an inverted U shaped bracket for adjustment - thsi si limited. There is a belt tension wheel on the lower alt pivot bolt. I needed to bash the iner wing for good adjustment. It is important to be sure all pulleys are exactly in line. Mine weren't - eating belts. Make sure there are belts availble for the size u need.

post #84 of 607 (permalink) Old 21-03-2011, 21:32

Car: MGB
alternator top bracket

just FYI, i have reinforced the top mount to double thickness and to mount using 2 bolts instead of 1.

A couple of other points while i'm on;
stainless headrs get v v hot. Not wanting to wrap in exhaust wrap, there are 2 options - louvre the bonnet, coat with zircotec (expensive) - i will be louvring when summer comes. The starter motor and associated pipes are exposed to very hot exhaust. Wrap well. Make sure oil pipes are well away from the exhaust. - all obvious stuff, but worth emphasising.

right, I wont hoijack the thread, but give me a shout if you want. Also get loads of infrom from the BBS K forum.
post #85 of 607 (permalink) Old 22-03-2011, 20:19 Thread Starter

Interesting kit that Nick, thank you for the pictures. Gives me some more food for thought with regards to the alternator placement.
post #86 of 607 (permalink) Old 23-03-2011, 20:20

Car: Golf GTD, Polo GTI, MG Midget with a 'K16' from a 200
What starter motor are you using? Also is that a titan bellhousing or the like? Did you grind the block to get the SM to fit?
Questions questions sorry! My K series Midget is about ready for respray and final fit
post #87 of 607 (permalink) Old 23-03-2011, 20:25 Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K16Stan View Post
What starter motor are you using? Also is that a titan bellhousing or the like? Did you grind the block to get the SM to fit?
Questions questions sorry! My K series Midget is about ready for respray and final fit
Hi Stan, I honestly can't remember the make of the starter, came as a kit with the bell housing though from QED. The block has been nodified to accept the SM, needed some of the 'webbing' removing.

What colour are you going for your Midget? That's one of our big decisions
post #88 of 607 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by brm_ski View Post
Hi Stan, I honestly can't remember the make of the starter, came as a kit with the bell housing though from QED. The block has been nodified to accept the SM, needed some of the 'webbing' removing.

What colour are you going for your Midget? That's one of our big decisions
I'm thinking of doing it in Xpower grey, its obviously a MG colour with a nod towards the modern engine underneath! That's the way I see it anyway
post #89 of 607 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 15:24 Thread Starter

Good call there. One idea we had was to do it the X-Power green that goes with the grey, a little bit more lairy that way
post #90 of 607 (permalink) Old 24-03-2011, 15:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by brm_ski View Post
Good call there. One idea we had was to do it the X-Power green that goes with the grey, a little bit more lairy that way
I thought about doing some detailing in the green. There's no paint code as such, apparently its Kawasaki green if you do go that way with it....
post #91 of 607 (permalink) Old 30-03-2011, 13:16
Banned

Car: CityRover
Loving the work on the engine mounts
post #92 of 607 (permalink) Old 30-03-2011, 18:34 Thread Starter

Thank you vey much Andy.
post #93 of 607 (permalink) Old 23-04-2011, 11:48 Thread Starter

Some new pisctures of little jobs that have been done recently...

Old oil filter housing, useless as it doesn't fit...

So we made our own housing which will feed to a remote filter...

Simliarly, old coolant elbow doesn't fit...

So we made our own of that as well...

Home-made gauge pods welded in...

Fire extinguisher fitted and spray points mounted...

Home-made battery tray fitted...

Centre console all made up...

And some shots of the centre console, dial pod and gauge placements together...

post #94 of 607 (permalink) Old 08-05-2011, 11:16 Thread Starter

Here's a few photos from yesterday. We had to re-fit the engine to check the clearances now we've welded up the cross member and it turns out we've got acres of room, for some reason the 'measure twice, cut once' rule went slightly awry. No matter though we can simply weld another piece into the cross member to beef it up a bit more.

Welded cross member...

Engine back in position...

Lots of room around the custom oil take-off...

post #95 of 607 (permalink) Old 19-05-2011, 21:48

Car: MG ZS
looking good so far just a thought incase you haven't got that far yet about your flared arches
what about going the old route we used to back in 90's (sounds so long ago) for making cheap and cheerful flared arches. 4x nova gte front wings cut the flare bit out and weld it over the wing of target car, cut out old wing behind your new flare and voila wide arch kit for about 20 quid.
post #96 of 607 (permalink) Old 22-05-2011, 19:41

Car: Too many!
Send a message via MSN to FreddieS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hinch View Post
looking good so far just a thought incase you haven't got that far yet about your flared arches
what about going the old route we used to back in 90's (sounds so long ago) for making cheap and cheerful flared arches. 4x nova gte front wings cut the flare bit out and weld it over the wing of target car, cut out old wing behind your new flare and voila wide arch kit for about 20 quid.
Good luck getting nova gte wings for a fiver each! times have changed!

but yeah, that works, or make box arches the regular way
post #97 of 607 (permalink) Old 22-05-2011, 21:13

Car: MG ZS
yeah must admit no idea on value/rarity these days but making your own wings and getting them nice and even is :effort:
post #98 of 607 (permalink) Old 23-05-2011, 20:50

Car: mg zr 160
Any more updates yet mate?
post #99 of 607 (permalink) Old 23-05-2011, 20:54 Thread Starter

Not really, been tidying up a few bits and stripping back the hard top as we're approaching the point of getting her ready for paint.

The arch dilemma continues as well....For the car to be worth anything later on, ideally it needs to be able to be sold as a shell prepped for racing if nothing else. Unfortunately the rules of the various MG championships mean you can't put on flared arches, you have to use the existing metal.....so.....there may well be a serious session of arch heating/bending/rolling to get a decent amount of flare on them. Watch this space
post #100 of 607 (permalink) Old 05-06-2011, 15:09 Thread Starter

Small update on the build, little things are progressing along so I took a few snaps yesterday...

Emergency pull handles fitted to the windscreen scuttle panel...

Bracket welded to rollcage for the kill switch wire...

Oil filter remotely mounted on the inner wing...

Small rad fan and bracket stolen from a scrapped Renault Espace, almost a perfect fit...

I started rubbing down the hard top but need some more pads to carry on...

Modified BRM handbrake...

Old hole for V8 exhaust welded up in wing...

Piping of brake lines around the bay...

Brake pipe outside the bay...

New Willwood 4-pots to go on...