Haven't been on here for quite some time as started hanging out more on the facebook groups but fancy having a place to write up the development of this project.
Before this I had a Mk1 160, loved the car despite it's flaws. It was a beautiful trophy blue and the pre project drive build quality was very nice. I had learnt much with this car such as headgasket, timing belts, suspension etc. The car had been taken on track sessions quite few times however sadly since it was run on a student budget it could never quite match for my friends
Unfortunately all good things come to an end and with "Bluey" it was a mixture of a cracked windscreen, a hole in the roof around the aerial base and a hole by the side skirt where it feel off the jack and only a badly placed axle stand. So took the chance to move onto a Mk2 as I had been wanting one for sometime.
Hunting around gumtree,ebay and sales groups I came across a 04 plate 160 for £500. Unfortunately it had a scratch on the side and had been sat for 18 months on a driveway. A challenge! The first being getting it off the drive with a dead battery and alternator. Luckily had a friend who had just gotten a trailer
Skip forward to a MOT, oil chance and new tyres (old ones were bald) and the little rover got it's first taste of track abuse with my friends ZS with VVC conversion
Now the history is out the way here's the ultimate goal. to reach 170hp , considering most VVCs only pull 150 about as stock this is going to be a interesting task. combined with the rebuilt coilovers Ive got to put on that should make it a nice track wagon.
How will this be done I hear you ask? Well I've got a spare vvc exhaust cam i've sent off to get reground to Piper spec. Also have dowels to advance the timing to get the most out of it.
But the interesting part is that during my free time at university and lunch breaks at work I've been learning how to remap these cars. It's taken over a year and alot of nights awake thinking about this and that. But I got a prototype tested out the other week before the track session.
Rolling road place was not brilliant as he couldn't do print outs and just had to write down the numbers are various rpm locations. Also forgot to mention the exhaust was blowing pre cat before hand and the remap file was tested first. So think the results were a bit flawed as the ecu would have been messing with the fuel trim because of the blow. Anyway first results being a 3-4hp increase across the rev range, bit disappointed but will be looking for another place to get rolled.