MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Squeaky Glove compartment?

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  MikeM 
#1 · (Edited)
Lovely drive to the meet...nice drive home,,,,except for the the last 70 miles across the Fens of Cambs. Anyone who knows will tell you it's extremely bumpy and uneven. Anyway, the reason it was not quite so enjoyable is because my glove compartment developed an annoying squeak. The best way to describe it is like a mouse running on a squeaky wheel.

Every little undulation on the road caused the noise and the only way to stop it was to open the glove compartment door and pull slightly on it. Mrs Palwing got fed up with that after only 30 minutes, so we had to endure it for the rest of the journey!

My guess is that there might be some play or something in the hinge. Anyone else come across this and got a solution? Or perhaps someone knows of an easy way of getting the glove compartment out so I could investigate further?

If anyone knows then I can let them know how to cure an annoying "click" behind the passengers air duct every time you turn sharp corners. Took me two weeks to work that one out, but cured it is!

Just the squeaky rear seats to go!

#2 ·
Seen various posts on this one over time. I'm sure it's related to either the ECU or BCU tucked up behind the glove box. Either that, or the loom connecting to it.

Sure it's a simple matter of removing the box and shoving some foam around or behind the offending item :)

Sure someone will be along soon to confirm!

#3 ·
Open the glove box and look at the two hinges. On each one is a little plastic arm that you push down to allow the glovebox lid to drop down further. If one of these is already released and the other isn't you get a loud squeak all the time. If either of these 'arms' are not quite latched then the same results.

If this doesn't sort it then come back. There are a few other things to try.

Mike

#4 ·
Driving me nuts!

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply.

We have driven along with both "retaining arms" fully released so that the door is open wide. However, the squeak is still there. Driving me nuts!

When the missus pulls or puts pressure on the actual compartment, it quietens down. Also, if the door is closed, the noise stops when hard pressure is put on the door or the top of the door is pulled. I think it's the whole compartment assy that's squeaking somehow. Maybe rubbing on something. Is it easy to get the glove compartment out? I know there are some screws under the rubber mat inside the glove box which are all tight.

Did you get my e-mail with pics abroad?

#5 ·
Here are the instructions for glovebox removal that I posted on the yahoo group a year ago. This was to fit the changer in but they should do for your purposes.

Regards

Mike :)

Open the glovebox lid (then find the press in plastic catch on each
hinge to allow you to drop the lid fully down).

Undo the 7 torx screws at the front of the glove box (four can be
found top of inside front edge of the glove box and three under the
front of the fabric mat on the inside base of the glovebox-just peel
the front of the fabric off).

Then literally pull the glove box forward out of the dash, release the
glovebox lamp power feed plug and wiring on the left hand side and then as you pull the glovebox out release the changer power lead. You
can then remove the glovebox.

(The glovebox has four holes in its base that accept the changer
mountings and securing nuts and another square opening that the power
and signal lead from the hu goes through. Bring the lead from the hu
down to the glovebox area behind the hu from the right as you look at
the front of the glovebox opening.)

It all just then goes back in reverse order.

#7 ·
Thanx Mike for the instructions. I will pull it out when I get 5 mins and the weather + the missus improves. (err..should I re-write that?)

I have carried out a "search" and can't find any reference to my "squeak" but I guess it might become self evident when I get the glove box out. Well, I hope so anyway.

No probs ref the pics..understand you are a busy man.

Thanx again.

#8 ·
If your glovebox holds a cd changer then also check that the changer bracket bolts are all tight.

Also behind the glovebox itself and attached to the bulkhead is:

1. fuseboard
2, Body control unit (BCU)

Either of these can shake or rattle against the bulkhead and the box. Ensure the mountings for both are tight and you can put foam between them and the bulkhead to dampen any noise.

Also check that the light fitting and glass (plastic) is all tightly fitted.

hth

Mike :)

ps no busier than us all really, and never too busy for you :) (now will you destroy that GIF?) ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.