MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Minimum Brake disc thickness!

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  imroberts 
#1 ·
Hello everybody,

On behalf of a friend I would like to post the following question.

Can anybody tell me what the minimum thickness of the front brake discs is on a Rover 216 (1998)?

This should be in a haynes manual but due to him just having moved house he can't find the manual. The discs and pads look worn but before spending money on things that are not required I would like to know at what thickness the discs need to be replaced.

Thanks for your answers,

CEJM

#2 ·
The way i always look at it is if there is a groove on the disks then it is overdue either replacement or skimming. Every time i have got a new car, the first thing i do is change the pads and disks so then i know they are new and where i stand with them.

My advice to your friend is that just to change them as they are easy to do and cheap so well worth it in the end. Running the disks down to the minimum thickness is not always the best option.

Welcome to the forum by the way :)

#3 ·
Thanks 214 no 1,

The reason that he prefers not to change the discs is because he just bought another car and is in the process of selling the Rover. But it's MOT is due next month and of course it still needs to paas this. So if the discs are not worn to the minimum thickness than in this case we will leave them on the car.

Regards, CEJM

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.