MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 25 diesel died!!

2K views 12 replies 5 participants last post by  Dakta 
#1 ·
Hi, all
I still looking for a bit of help!! My Rover 25 cut out on a roundabout 3 weeks ago. I got a tow home and had a look with a mate. As it seemed fuel related we took off line to the fuel injector and saw that when the engine cranked over, a miserable amount of fuel came out. With all re assembled the engine will not even cough or splutter. No firing at all. Suspecting the fuel pump, I got hold of a scrapper and fitted the 'new' pump. Same problem. Absolutely no firing at all. However fuel now spurts from the injector lines. Checked and rechecked timing on pump belt.
Any help appreciated or should I just sell the car of for bits????

Alan

#4 ·
Unless i'm having another stupid moment (I doubt it) the vp30 doesn't have a stop solenoid - doesn't need one - just doesn't actuate the fuel quantity solenoid when it wants to shut down.

It could however be that solenoid, or the timing solenoid. Probably time to be considering a pump replace/repair.

Gosh these pumps are dying every two minutes now!

(possibly scrapped because of pump?)

Any ecu problems? bad earths?

#5 ·
I tried swapping the pump from a breaker up in Glasgow who assured me that the pump came off a runner. (I know it is not conclusive.) The Haynes manual talks about a stop solenoid, I think, built into the pump. Could it be that the ECU has thrown a wobbly and not delivering fuel? There is no management light on in the dash though.

#6 ·
Could be.

Any chance at all, no disrespect, but any chance at all that you've botched up the pulley position against the shaft timing, so the timing mark on the pulley no longer corresponds to the right timing?

Injection Timing - It's your last real chance before things get nasty imo.

#7 ·
Ok. Engine locked on flywheel at t.d.c. and corresponds to timing mark on camshaft pulley and plastic line on timing belt casing. (Also convenient white paint someone has put at top of casing and on pulley). All line up.

Otherside of engine, pump locked and belt tensioned.

I presume that I'm not missing anything silly!!

The only slight doubt is that the breakers yard actually took the timing plate off the pump. Is that a possibility?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.