MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MGF Suspension squeeky (passenger front)

3K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  MGFmad 
#1 ·
Hi everyone (newbie), Ive just sorted out leaking heater hoses and bouncy hand brake lever-running sweet :) ..Now i've got the mouse syndrome of squeeky/creeky suspension. The mechanic has told me the hydragas need filling as riding low.

I am looking for a garage that can hydragas the suspension? could the squeek come from from the bump stoppers (rubber on wish bone) due to height issue with suspension?

The squeek and a slight creek is noticable on passenger front when driving or low speed parking. Both front wheels off and jacked up moved steering wheel no squeek, probably as no pressure on any rubber or suspension part.

Applied grease to all the nipples (front and rear) until it oozed out. Checked the rubbers and seem all ok. Squeek still there. Sprayed each rubber with oil based lub, squeek still there!

Any ideas/help much appreciated as i am at a loss to what it could be......

'3 quick options: stereo full blast, ear plugs or heater fan full blast'

#4 ·
Had it re gassed (£50.00 inc VAT) recommend Earlsfield Garage SW London Penwith Road SW18 on 0208-870- 4101 and speak to shaun, but the squeek is still there!, Mmm the mechanic said that he looked and could not find anything wrong, no leaks, no bushes torn or missing or loose? height at 350mm from centre of cap much better......any ideas anyone of the squeek.....much appreciated :)

#8 ·
a many thanks for advice :)
when regassed does the trackin change? would you also suggest the height at 368mm, prior to gassing the car height was at 320mm ..ouch (sump ripping speed humps)

all nipples attacked with grease until it oozed out....checked the p/side dampner and the dampner bush looks loose due to movement seen ....new bushes ordered, i'll fit the loose bush then try 4 squeak.. and lube the remainder bushes with silicon....
"I am on a mission to find out cause"

#10 ·
Lubed all bushes (sounds like a valentine mission with all my ex wives) with silicon spray as advised in the replies but creek & squeak still there when under load, front passenger wheel left on drivers wheel taken off, except when the reverse way round no creek or squeek? load issue on the suspension causing issue, but what part(s), difficult to pin down....had the wife with an extension bar on top of the threaded section of the dampner but no luck there, so will continue....if not a whole change of the bushes....

#11 ·
Usual answer to a squeak coming from the passenger side is to employ some sort of gagging device. I've found this worked well in the past, but I now have a newish partner who seems to understand my driving technique and the problem has disappeared.
Perhaps you could employ one or the other of these solutions, worth a try.

Mike

#12 ·
Well some good news, gagged the wife and its so quiet in the car now....no seriously, I checked each shock absorber and found the passenger side could be compressed with just my fingers? the drivers side was ok......new gas adjustable shocks from Sussex classics and now no noise, no squeak or creek..........fitted these today in the rain. One nightmare was the passenger side top absorber nut had been fastened all the way down? and had to split the nut/dremel with cutting discs, good laugh that was...anyway this may be my solution to this issue but the old shocks not working came as a shocker :)

#14 ·
I know this sounds silky but bear with me. Check your wing mirror isn't loose. I had this problem fitted new shocks just had a re gas so wasn't that.

One day ended up by chance holding the wing mirror whilst driving and hey presto tightened screws and no more squeak.

Drove me mad fir months as well

#15 · (Edited)
cheers m8ty, i had read your earlier forum of the squeaky door mirror and this was one of the 1st things i did, not loose, but worth keeping this in mind it to eliminate that possibility as a cheap fix, so many thanks for that tip :)

next job rectifying the left hand self drive at low speeds, read the sticky on repairs looks like another day with the car and a glue gun, but will wait until the weather is dry.

Thanks again to all who offered great advice and hope....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.