MG-Rover.org Forums banner

kv6 cam timing issues

3K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  lilblakcooper 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, I have just done the headgaskets on my freelander with a bit of help from a friend, When we rebuilt it and fired it up it was running on three maybe four cylinders and the front cat started to glow red at that point i switched the car off, rechecked the cam timing , did a compression check all ok.
Is it possible to put the camshafts the wrong way around (inlet in exhaust) type of scenario.
We did some live data on it and no's 1,3,5 all registered missfires..

any guidence would be gratefully recieved.

#3 · (Edited)
no mate i actually bit the bullet and bought the proper timing kit.
Just had another thought, does anyone know how to distinguish the inlet cam from the exhaust cam?
does the rear head inlet cam have a cam sensor pick up on? as the inlet cam in the front head from looking at it has a half cast ring where the cam sensor picks up on! should this be a reluctor type set up and the two inlet cams has got mixed up while being on the workbench?

#4 ·
ok i think i have sussed it out, is it possible to time up the engine with one of the heads with the cams 180 degrees out? i mean fuelling as the piston goes down therefore pushing unburnt fuel mix into the exhaust.
then is it feasable to remove the belts move the offending cams 180 round then reinstall the belts?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.