MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Is your clutch pedal high on your 400/45/ZS? Take a look here...

76K views 357 replies 124 participants last post by  Lee314 
#1 · (Edited)
Now in stock - 20+ kits ready to send.
Fit the original and best!

http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...s/rover-400-45-zs-clutch-pedal-adjustment-kit

Hello all!

Next time you get in your car, see if you have any free play at the top of your clutch pedal. If it feels very light at the top part of the pedal travel - read on...

Been working on the ZS, ready to make it my daily again.
One thing I've noticed is that the clutch pedal is higher than the others, with a lot of 'free play' at the top of it's travel before it has any effect on the master cylinder.

To check if this kit will solve your issue, with your hand push your clutch pedal down. If there is a bit of travel where it's very easy to push, then a little later it gets much harder, this will work for you.

This works with:

Rover 400 - All models
Rover 45 - All models
MG ZS - All models

The high pedal is pretty annoying at the best of times, I remember this used to give my left foot quite a good work out when it was my main car!

Anyway, I've been working on a fix for it, a simple bolt-on device that cures this issue once and for all, and makes your clutch sit in line with your other pedals. It won't increase wear, adjust the biting point etc, just make the pedal sit at the right height for easy driving and not practically touching the dashboard.

I'm 6ft 3 and fitting in a ZS isn't that easy, I pretty much have to knee myself in the face to use the clutch.

I'll be happy to make them for fellow forum members at cost price plus a little for time and P+P.

It mounts to a spare hole in the pedal box, and is a small metal bracket held by a bolt and Nyloc nut, and holds the pedal in the lower position when released. I have made sure the bracket and mounting is strong enough for this, seems to work well. :)

It is supplied with a number of adjustment washers - work out where you want the pedal to sit (just as the master cylinder provides resistance is the most sensible point, and makes the pedal level with the others) and then when mounting the bracket with the bolt use as many/as little of the washers as needed.

A guide is included.

Included:

1x High Tensile bolt, hex head
1x Nyloc nut
1x Clutch pedal adjustment bracket
2x large washers, for mounting the bracket to the pedal box mounting point
10x smaller washers for spacing to make the pedal height how you wish

Total cost is £5.25 including post and packaging.

Fitting is easy - you'll need a couple of spanners and half an hour. :)

Click here to order - http://www.dmgrs.co.uk/collections/...s/rover-400-45-zs-clutch-pedal-adjustment-kit

Any questions? ;)

See less See more
#5 ·
It might still work, is it a 1.8? I will find out if it's compatible, at the moment I only have access to the diesels.

Will get back to you and update. Does it have the free play and high travel as described at the beginning of the thread?

#14 ·
yup me three on that one.. since i did the swap to the 600 bits it got even higher on mine.. lowering it will be useful to say the least.

Tho quick question; i assume it can cope with the extra weight of my system.. tho for a couple of quid if it doesn't last then no real big issue :lol:

#15 ·
I'll have one mate, Sheddist offers a similar solution as part of his famous ZS180 clutch kit - which doesn't fit the diesels, I've been meaning to get round to knocking myself one up but never seem to have the time!

Count me in, and see if you cant come up with the rest of the sheddist kit for a diesel while you're at it lmao! :D :D :D

#16 ·
It will cope, I've designed the bracket to outlast the car itself - no point doing it on the cheap!

Bolt is an M6 too, so you'll have no worries.

I'll drop everyone a PM soon, I'm currently developing the bracket assembly to make sure it has as much contact area with the pedal arm as possible.

#29 ·
All PMs sent.

Good progress yesterday, should be ready for sending out in the next few days! Just got to sort out the finishing touches, then take the ZS on a good, long test drive through a busy town centre to check the desired effect has occurred. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.