MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Experiences so far

5K views 35 replies 12 participants last post by  jaffo 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I have posted on here within other threads sharing my on-going experiences with the new MG 6. Have owned it from new on 61 plate, from September last year and with 8.8k on the clock as of this morning. So i'm starting to build up a good impression of what I like and do not like about the car.

My experience with MG has been fantastic. The initial car that I bought failed it's PDI, something to do with the EMS. As result this had to go back to MG for fault finding and a replacement was sent. Great! They also compensated me with silverstone tickets and the dealers MG 6 magnette until mine was delivered and ready. 2 weeks later, it was here PDI'd and ready to go.

Since then I have used the car daily, I find the quality on the inside of the car to be ok, it's not too bad. However, the sound proofing isn't good at speeds, my partners 10 year old vw and my 5 year old focus was is much better in this area.

Sadly, its not been fault free. With the first problems appearing around 2.5 to 3k with random creaky noises on the steering. The dealership wasn't wasn't able to find a fault and the problem went away. Still to this day it does it on occasions, more so when its been cold and wet.

At around 6.5-7k I started getting a low coolant alarms, levels appeared to be fine, so it went back in and had a new sensor. They also ordered me a new reversing camera due mine being constantly fogged.

As of last week (around 4 weeks since it has its new sensor) the low coolant alarm returned, now the car is due to go back in next week for the new camera, so I have also informed them of this. They now suspect it could the float sticking. The problem only occurs after the car has been standing over night. It has also developed a clutch squeaking/spring type noise, which I need to inform them off. It mat seem picky, but you don't expect these things on a new car.

Last night I took some photos of the levels, the first one after a I had been on a run, and the second one this morning around 30 mins ago. I'm not liking what I see, and this somewhat concerns me.

The car is a pleasure to drive, would be even better without the problems though.

I will keep this thread updated as and when I get feedback

Photos:

Level after run

Level this morning

See less See more
#3 ·
Well, I can quote reliably that the levels when cold have never gone below the low mark. In my eyes the sensor is fine and doing its job.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions on the matter, as it's going in on Tuesday it is best for them to sort it out. As long as they can tell me, A) why the levels have dropped, and B) what they have done to fix it.

#7 ·
My pal had a 60 reg [new shape] VW Polo coutesy car whilst the insurance claim went through when someone rear ended his Metro GTa. The coolant level on that was under minimum. It wasn't ours and we didn't touch it. The car wasn't much more than 6 months old at the time.

No matter what brand, cars aren't what they used to be in the late 90s early 00s...

#8 ·
My pal had a 60 reg [new shape] VW Polo coutesy car whilst the insurance claim went through when someone rear ended his Metro GTa. The coolant level on that was under minimum. It wasn't ours and we didn't touch it. The car wasn't much more than 6 months old at the time.

No matter what brand, cars aren't what they used to be in the late 90s early 00s...
I can only speak of my experiences so far. Other people don't seem to be having any similair issues at the moment, and I hope that continues as it is a nice car. It would be nice to hear from people who have had the car over a simliar period and millage though.

#9 ·
I'd be concerned if the coolant wasn't the correct colour more than the level dropping. Likely that there is a pipe loose somewhere and that's allowing an escape of coolant. How many times have you topped it up since you got it ?
My 800 needs topping up quite often but I know it's a leaky water pump or pump gasket so I'm not concerned over head gasket problems (being an M-series and all ).

#18 ·
I have since being made aware of this, and I believe that this has already been done or changed on mine. I think the alarm is now re-occuring because the levels have dropped below the 'min' mark when cold. This leads me to believe that somewhere the coolant has dropped in one form or another. I have noted this down and will speak to the service guys in the monring.

Not washed the car, but got some pics so I will add them once I have transfered them off my phone. :)

#25 ·
Where are those lovely mg6 pics we were promised?

Love to see them as I don't think we have seen your whole car yet...

Which dealership did you buy it from as I'm sure we would all be interested in how particular dealers cope with warranty issues etc....
Hi Jaffo,

Still not had a chance to transfer them from my phone. The car is over the dealers now, so hopefully they will give it wash too. So it might be worth me taking some more pictures once its returned back.

I will post all the details as soon as I get everything sorted. Dealer has been first class so far, much better than the last ford dealer.

#31 ·
And my mate hated his unreliable( but bought brand new) 5 series so much that he traded it in after a year for a v70......just goes to show that ,as chicken says,all cars have the potential to be naughty,but some get a unfounded rep just for being made by the wrong company

I remember a snotty neighbour looking down his nose at my new Alfa several years ago but I was laughing after both his and his wife's identical new golf Gti,s both expired with engine failures within 6 months of each other whilst I never had any issues with the Alfa...

#32 ·
Well it was returned back to me this afternoon, with everything sorted. I've not spoken to anyone direct other than the person who dropped it off.

Everything has been sorted out, and it feels better than ever. So I'm really pleased with everything. Camera is so much better!!

For reference, the dealer is West Riding MG in bradford. They are toyota/hyundi/lexus/mg dealership. They have been fantastic, and I would recommend them to anyone. The service and after sales people can't help enough. I wouldn't question returning back to them in a couple of years.

For those who wanted some pictures, here are two. Sorry, but photos aren't my strong point!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.