MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Photo/ diagram IN tank fuel pump

7K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  COLVERT 
#1 ·
Has anybody got a photo/ diagram of how the in tank fuel pump should be installed?

I replaced mine a few weeks back and starting/ stalling probs got gradually worse.

When I checked the other day it seemed to have dislodged itself after moving it again it was fine..

Filled up today and then it wouldnt start. Took 15 mins to get her going then ok but I guess that the prob is that it has become dislosged again.

Would apreciate any photos/ diagrams..

Thanks

#2 ·
I've got no pics or diagrams and unfortunately I threw way the old pump adapter, but fom memory, the adapter has some sloped shoulders on one side. The adapter fits in a rectangular tray that runs the length of the car with the sloped shoulders facing down. There is a metal "spring" that holds the adapter snugly in place.

#7 ·
Thanks champaynecharlie,I have emptied the tank i don't fancy working with my hand submerged in Diesel,i will try it out curved shoulders down,what is baffling is that the tray is rectangular and the adapter is of no shape like the tray,it seems a dumb idea to me but hey ho! here we go,Have you any recollection of where the steel clip fits too?? in a hole inside of the tray? or clips over the side wall of the tray?
If you cannot remember its ok,i apreceiate your help.I will let you know how i get on when the rain stops this week,i just wish that folk that do not know what they are doing when tackling fixing a motor would leave well alone.Like myself i am Dyslexic and electricity is "Electrickary to me so i do not even try to understand it,otherwise to this fault it is a lovely car,i had before it a Audi A4 2004 in great nick,but when i floored it in certain situations it would leave a smoke screen behind like an abraham tank.When i have floored this rover?Not a particle of smoke appears.The engine is spot on.
Please excuse spelling mistakes and thanks once again.

#4 ·
Hi thanks, I'll have another look for the "tray" going the length of the car when it stops raining.. Although when I first fitted it that was what I had been searching for (thanks to a previous post of yours Isis.)

Thanks Kelvin, unfortunately what i need is a diagram of sits inside the tank. not of the thing itself.

Iisi... You mentionend just the adapter and the pump.. By Pump do you mean the pump body or the pump and its palstic casing?

Or

is the adapter the plastic around the pump?

The metal wire (that is NOT the floater) is attached to a 3rd part. Where does that go? Or is that the adapter that you are reffereing to?

1)Pump
2)Pump plastic casing/ container)
3)Other plastic thing (currently detached from both 1 + 2)

Theres only One way that 2 can fit (because of the fitting at the top of the tanks.. but 3 is where i have come unstuck. Is it that that should fit in the tray. Also should 2+3 be attached (with soemthing other than hoses of course) ?

Thanks

#5 ·
The whole pump assembly is the pump/filter housing which is attached by a flexible pipe to the pump adapter, which is a kind of rectagonal skeletal looking thing in white. It is this adapter that fits into the bottom of the tank, the pump is held in place by the ring at the top of the tank.

The pics on Ron's page don't show the part in question, just the pump and the filter housing.

#10 ·
I think we might have a long wait for Bigbilly.
The 8 year time warp that brought him here seems to have whisked him back again.--:surprise:
Pity really. I was hoping we'd get some additional knowledge about a rather vexing question.

PS.---T-Cut.----Did you notice that was your TEN THOUSANTH post.
Blimey! Don't the tempus fugit!

TC

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.