MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Vauxhall Zafira - any good?? Any tips??

7K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  Maffeu 
#1 ·
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of Vauxhall Zafiras?

Any tips on what to look out for when considering buying a 2nd hand one? I have heard that the 1.4, 1.6 and the diesels are underpowered, so that means I'm most likely to be looking at a 1.8.

#2 ·
my dad had one few years ago!
was a great people carier! 7people quiet comfertably wouldent recomend to long a jerneys 7 up though b a bit hot and uncomfertable!
my dad had the 1.6 but be warned his was from new after 2 years it started getting really gutless! and just dident want to pull anymore. dont know if it was a defect/problem or a deper problem with the zafiera

#3 ·
As I have said before 'they are rather good at what they do'.
In terms of a drive, they aren't that bad at all driving around although parking can be a whole different matter.
I've only ever driven the 1.8 version and it wasn't too bad - it moved well for the amount of car being carried.

Not sure about what to look for specifically in a second hand model - apparently I think spare wheel theft is a common problem on them. I also suppose you should make sure all the seating works right and isn't damaged as I doubt it would be cheap to replace and is part of the reason for getting one.

And as with any Vauxhall, make sure you get the security / radio codes.

#9 ·
Can't think why GM haven't put in their 3 litre diesel engine they use in the Signum. Supposed to be reasonably decent so may push the Zafira along nicely.

A shame that engine came along so late, it would have been a good unit to put in the Omega rather than GM's 2.2 litre diesel which they used in place of the BMW 2.5 litre from earlier models.

#10 ·
Vincero said:
Can't think why GM haven't put in their 3 litre diesel engine they use in the Signum. Supposed to be reasonably decent so may push the Zafira along nicely.
GM are refreshing the Zafira with an updated model coming out soon, including one with 240BHP, engine from the VXR sport hatch.

The current GSi or SRi (can't remember which) is also quite quick.

At the moment low mileage diesel Zafiras are seriously good forecourt shifters and keeping good residual value, offering economy with practicality. Wait a month for the new model though, and the price of the older model Zafs should drop a bit.

I rate them highly as a useful and adaptable 5 seater, but I wouldn't put anyone in the 3rd row, too close to the back and vulnerable if the idiot behind is messing with the stereo. For true 7 seats, Grand Espace, Grand Voyager and perhaps the Galaxy have the load space behind the 3rd row to offer some margin of safety.

They have something in common with vans in that they are a big box on wheels, but the interior fitting and soundproofing is rather different.

#11 ·
We've had one for about 17 months now. We have the 1.8 Petrol. We test drove a few and found the 1.6 Petrol to be underpowered, especially if carrying 7 passengers. The CDTi is quite expensive to purchase compared to the petrols.

The key to the Zafira is flexibility in a car slightly shorter than a 400 saloon. You can seat 7 adults (relatively comfortably if you move the second row seat forward as much as possible), 5 adults with a large boot, or just 2 in the front and an enormous 3ft x 3ft x 5ft boot. You can even fold the passenger front seat flat on most models.

We haven't had any reliability issues at all with ours and although as stated, it isn't up to a 75/ZT interior quality wise, it is extremely functional.

Anthony.

#12 ·
But the thing is, are these gonna be diesels??? I'm guessing not.

The thing is, the typical family car is just as likely to be diesel or petrol powered so relatively speaking, there is a bit of a whole in the line-up which I think the 3 litre would fill nicely in terms of economy and power. Mate that to a nice smooth auto box (something which GM/ZF are good at) and you may just have a massive family car that dad may enjoy driving whilst not destroying the planet and his credit status.

Besides, that 3 litre is a V6 diesel, so it may just be able to be shoehorned in..... :devil:

#13 ·
Vincero said:
But the thing is, are these gonna be diesels??? I'm guessing not.

The thing is, the typical family car is just as likely to be diesel or petrol powered so relatively speaking, there is a bit of a whole in the line-up which I think the 3 litre would fill nicely in terms of economy and power. Mate that to a nice smooth auto box (something which GM/ZF are good at) and you may just have a massive family car that dad may enjoy driving whilst not destroying the planet and his credit status.

Besides, that 3 litre is a V6 diesel, so it may just be able to be shoehorned in..... :devil:
The replacement Zafira model is apparently larger than the old one.

#15 ·
Driven 3 Zafrias, 2x1.8's and 1x1.6, drove 1 around town and it was ok, 1.8 is nippy enough, 1 across to wales with 6 men in (including me) was ok, bit uncomfy but nippy enough and at one point had 120mph out of it (on that private race track in wales beginning with M) and drove the 1.6 to essex, then glasgow then back home, 2-3 adults and a load of funiture, yes it was underpowered and unfortunaly very uncomfy.

So yeah they transport huge loads, the 1.8 aint bad but gets uncomfy on long journeys

#16 ·
My aunty has the Zafira GSi Turbo, 175bhp model, and it dont half shift, the interior is nice, the extra subtle bodykit bits just finish the car off nicely, sits 5 comfortably but id only recommend the extra back 2 seats if you got little kids, adults wouldnt like it there!

#17 ·
As a Vauxhall salesman so I know a few things about the Zaf

The Zafira starts at a 1.6 engine, there is no 1.4. The 1.6 is a little underpowered if you are to fill the vehicle up with people and belongings, the 1.8 is the most popular choice in the petrols. A 2.2 engine is also available on the Elegance and SRI model as well as the bonkers 2.0 turbo on the GSI.

I don't know what your budget is but personally though I would go for the 2.0 DTI model as the turbo diesel offers plenty of power, better fuel economy, and will always hold a premium over the petrols when it comes to trade in time. Avoid the older 2.0 Di and models up to 02 plate may only have a centre lap belt (rather than 3 point) on the middle row of seats. Remember these are family lived in vehicles so check the interiors well for signs of wear and abuse. All models have aircon (bar the short lived expression) so check it works and always play with and check the electric sunroofs standard on Elegance models (up till 2004). The Elegance is top of the range and was standard with velour seats which are nice, but attract fluff and are a ******* to clean.

On the body work check all 4 corners of the bumpers for scuffs, especially deep at the bottom which can sometimes be missed at a glance but often are damaged on high curbs etc. Also check corners for poor smart repairs. Tailgates also seem to attract damage so check again the quality of the paint and correct positioning of the badges. Spare wheels can be easy stolen from underneath the vehicle, and this is more common than you think, but vauxhall supply and fit a locking bolt for £35. Remember you can afford to shop about as there are plenty around.

Its preferable to buy from a Vx main agent as although you may pay more the Network Q garentee is second to none. The Vx Zafira is a great family car, not very exciting but very reliable and practical. I hope you find the right car. If you want more help or advice please P.M me.

#19 ·
I had a 2.0 DTi (Derv) for a couple of weeks. It was not very fast, however there is no need for it to be fast. It pulls well enough, quite enough, pleasent enough. It does everything well enough. Fuel consumption was still around 45-50mpg even with my full throttle gear changes and thrashing the nads off it for all the time i had it. Nice gear change, good seating postion.

Derv is preferable i suppose due to better mpg. However i have heard the 1.8's are quite a bit cheaper to. I would have though the 1.8 would suffice.

#20 ·
Alex G said:
I don't know what your budget is but personally though I would go for the 2.0 DTI model as the turbo diesel offers plenty of power, better fuel economy, and will always hold a premium over the petrols when it comes to trade in time. Avoid the older 2.0 Di
Is that the same 2.0 DTI as used in the Vectra?? If so, couldn't you get the 2.2 DTI in a Zafira also (as used in the Vectra and Omega) as its just a bore/stroke job??

Looking at the specs for the new Zafira I'm surprised Vauxhall still haven't made more use of the bigger engines available to them, like the 2.5 and 3.0 litre CDTI.

#21 ·
Vincero said:

A shame that engine came along so late, it would have been a good unit to put in the Omega rather than GM's 2.2 litre diesel which they used in place of the BMW 2.5 litre from earlier models.
coz it will not fit and the zaf is a cow to work on at the best of times.

zafs in general are prity good no major problems as they are based on the astra so its good a good starting point. i have found the 1.6 to feel more willing than the 1.8, they do the GSI with the 2.0L turbo unit not driven one of these but best to remember it is a pepol carryer yhep basicly a van so dont go looking for a quick one its not worth the risk as the car is not caperbel of cornering at hatch speeds

#22 ·
Vincero said:
Is that the same 2.0 DTI as used in the Vectra?? If so, couldn't you get the 2.2 DTI in a Zafira also (as used in the Vectra and Omega) as its just a bore/stroke job??

Looking at the specs for the new Zafira I'm surprised Vauxhall still haven't made more use of the bigger engines available to them, like the 2.5 and 3.0 litre CDTI.
Yes its the same 2.0 dti, for what ever reason he 2.2 dti was never put into the Zaf

The new Zafira has the option of a 1.9 CDTI engine with 150 ps, which will be nice and plenty enough power

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.