MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Cleaning K Series Hydraulic Tappets

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Rich_W 
#1 ·
Hi all

Just like to share my experience's of cleaning Hydraulic tappets....

http://members.aol.com/rawgl/mgf/Cleaning_Tappets/Cleaning

I was inspired by A guy who had reconditioned Vauxhall tappets, i have linked to his pages....

I hope that this is of use to anyone in a similar position.

Richard

#5 ·
Hi guys,

In reply to mgfmad, the month that the car was running from purchase to starting this work i felt that at startup they were all noisey and that when warm it sounded like a small number were noisey... i did the tappet clean in conjuntion with changing the vvc cams that was faulty..

I am unable to confirm if this work has improved the noise or in reply to 1955diesel stopped it at startup as i have not fully re-built her yet just the cambelts to go, hoping to complete between crimbo and new year so i'll let you know...

#6 ·
Hi guys - am now able to post an update

She went back on the road as of yesterday afternoon, and i can now report that she is indeed diffrent...

Before the work on start up she did sound very 'clattery' they settled somewhat but were still noticable along with the rythmic knocking of the vvc cam bearing.

Now all is quietish their does not seem to be that clattery sound, they are louder at startup.. definatley but not that hard metal to metal tapping and when warmed no noticable noises at all...

Seems to be a little more pokey as well, particulay at low revs and smoother if that makes sense

Well chuffed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.