MG-Rover.org Forums banner

75 Front suspension clonk

8K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  eumjmorris 
#1 ·
My V6 Connoisseur auto had a clonking from the front suspension over road undulations.

It failed the MOT last summer on osf ball-joint. I replaced the lower arm and rear bush, as well as the drop-link.

A month or so ago, with a noisy nsf, I replaced the lower arm, bush, drop-link and top-mount.

Naturally, a large degree of penetrating oil, swearing, brute force and knuckle-skin was employed both times but my suspension STILL clonks (although more quietly) over potholes, dips, speed-bumps etc.

I checked the nsf damper, when the corner was in pieces and there were no signs of leakage.

Next port of call is the steering - any ideas?

The clonks are not particularly loud - and not present at all on Motorways - but annoying.

Help...

#2 ·
ditto.....

I have the same problem (2004, 70K, 1.8 tourer). Replaced front anti-roll bar bushes, track rod ends, drop links and strut top bearings. Speed bumps and rough roads. I'm learning to live with the clunk, can't think of what else to replace and it's getting expensive.

#4 ·
Had the same thing (extremely noisy, on every stinking pothole) on my 2000 V6 some 6 months back, got it fixed when I had both front anti-roll bars replaced. I remember the mechanic had the car lifted, couldn't for the life of him see anything wrong, told him about the sounds, grabbed on to the anti-roll bars and basically tried to lift himself on them (skinny guy), and there was the sound.

6 months later that dreaded clonking is back (in its beginner form, took about 3 months to manifest itself fully last time around). Hope I don't have to change the left anti-roll bar again (I can only hear the clonking when I drive over a pothole with the front left wheel, nothing on the right.

If you guys find out about that mythical grease nipple, please post back. I would much rather go on a nipple greasing quest :D than drop more cash on my 75.

#7 ·
Rover 75 Conn Tourer 2.5 V6 petrol

Newbie.

Just purchased this car a couple of weeks ago, but when I road tested it before parting with the money I noticed this rattle/clattering noise on a roughish road surface and the guy said he thought it was something in the offside front door clonking now and again.

Well I drove it back to Scotland from London and it appeared ok as all motorway roads really. Anyway it seems to be a lot worse on tarmac road surfaces where the road is broken up and on small potholes as it makes a lot of clattering noise which appears to come from the F/O/S wheel. My mechanic can only find a slight movement on the track rod so he is going to replace the 'INNER TRACK ROD' as a process of elimination. ANY IDEAS ON ANY FURTHER WORK THAT MAY BE NECESSARY?
Thanks in anticipation.

#9 ·
Just one thought. Could it be the strut bearing. I had the same noise and I replaced the strut bearing for both side and no noise anymore. The bearing was fine when I lifted up the car but when I lowered down, under weight it was doing the problem. When I turned the wheel it winded up the spring and when it was back in center it still had a tension on the spring. When I moved the car and went over a bump the bearing just jumped and removed the tension from the spring when the spring gave that noise. When I pull out the strut bearing and I twisted it and checked it was smooth. I thought ohh no it will not cure the problem, but when I put the new in the problem never came back. It is almost 9 months now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.