MG-Rover.org Forums banner

How to remove a locking wheel nut...

12K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  LOONEY666 
#1 · (Edited)
Without the key!

The two front wheels on the Ti have the original rover security nuts, but the key nut has self destructed. Has anyone an idea of the best way to get the nut off without damaging the alloy?

Ta muchly

#3 ·
Hi Ray,

Not mobile I'm afraid. Basicly the nut looks like a completely rounded nut, but with two groves cut in in along its length. I think I'll give the 12 point socket thing a go, either that or I'll see if there is a mobile fast fit who can come and do it.

Thanks for the help.

#4 ·
you can buy a special socket for this job , look for locking wheel nut removal tool , its a socket with a left hand thread cut into it , as you tighten it on to the nut it cuts into it and when it reaches the end of the thread starts to undo it , good bit of kit , andy

#5 ·
if you do get one of the special sockets, which by the way deffinately work great, please remember not to leave it in the car.

I have one, and unfortunately got pulled at the wrong, cue 4 hours down the police station, explaining that the alloys in the back seat were my friends (who was the passenger) and that I had a legitmate reason for having the locking wheel nut remover, which was purely the fact it was cheaper to buy the tool than pay £5 per nut to have mine taken off, and it has saved me even more than that since, helping out friends and family as well. Anyway cut a long story short, my mate had to get his gf to walk down to the cop shop with the receipt for the alloys before they let us go, they wanted to do us for theft and when that fell through they were going to charge me with going equipped, until they researched and found out I was actually telling the truth.

#9 · (Edited)
Got them both off tonight. One with the reverse thread tool... worked perfectly.... but, then couldn't get the nut back out of the reverse thread thingamybob... so for the second wheel, used an 18mm socket hammered over the top. Both methods worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice :)

#11 ·
Sorry to rescurect a dead thread, but I've just been through this.
Laser Tools 'Emergency locking wheel nut removal tool'.
After mangaling by Kwik-**** so the 17mm removal tool would fit on it, I tightened it onto the nut as much as would go with the ratchet handle, then around 1280 degrees more using a 24" breaker bar and off came the nut.
My dad and I had to mount the socket in the headstock of a rather large metalworking lathe and drill out the old nut using a 13mm drill mounted in the tailstock.
Brutal.

#12 ·
I bought a set of "OEM" MG Rover locking nuts, branded McGuard - just put the first one on and just about to nip it up and it sheered off!!
They look like a cheap nasty imitation to be honest but i bought them last year in the summer so i cant look back at previous history to find the seller - meanwhile Im stuck with a perfectly round sheered of nut, any ideas would be really helpful ?

thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.