MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 218 SD pre 1995

2K views 14 replies 4 participants last post by  Richard Moss 
#1 ·
I have a Rover 218 SD pre 1995, can some one tell me if this car has a turbo fitted or am I thinking of a 218 TD????? :confused: :O

G
#2 ·
ThreeLions66 said:
I have a Rover 218 SD pre 1995, can some one tell me if this car has a turbo fitted or am I thinking of a 218 TD????? :confused: :O
a turbo should have a "Turbo" badge on the boot.

However, if you open the bonnet and look at the back of the engine (peering over the top of the engine) you will/will not* see a turbo charger attached to the exhaust manifold depending upon whether it is/is not* turbo charged.

* = delete as applicable

G
#4 ·
Yes, they did both Turbo and naturally aspirated models - the turbo badge was the only visible external difference.

I don't know if the turbo model on the Rover was intercooled and I don't know where that intercooler is mounted - so that won't help any!

Edit: found a 418TD on ebay: the link below shows the engine bay with intercooler (in left hand side of grille aperture) and big, black intercooler hoses (left hand side of engine bay)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18262&item=2495303960&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

G
#9 ·
Diesel Dick said:
Sorry. My bad. The intercooler on the Rover is located differently to the same engine in its citroen/pug application. The 2 thick black pipes to the bottom left of the red highlighted area denote an intercooler, and hence a blower.

DD.
Is that not what I said earlier? I expect that if there is an intercooler then there is a turbo.

G
#15 ·
If you weren't mad, DD, they'd have to chuck you out of the Police.

Quote from Spike Milligan in his war memoirs:

On stopping for a break whilst driving his CO through the desert, the offcier asked Milligan why he wasn't getting out of the staff car to "stretch his legs".

Milligan: My legs are long enough already, Sir!
Officer: Milligan, if you go on like that we'll have you kicked out of the Army on grounds of insanity.
Milligan: But sir, isn't that how you get in to start with?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.