MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 216 Coupe Intermitant Starting Problems

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Joe1000 
#1 ·
Ive had my coupe for about 4 years now and still love it, but sadly shes giving me problems which I just cant solve. At first I would have the problem of it not restarting if I stalled it, but if I left it for 10 seconds or so it would restart and and no other symtoms. If I had stalled it however and immediately tried to restart I could sit there all day and it would not start unless I did nothing as mentioned before. Now it is totally random it might start it might not, I might pop down the shops and when I come back out it wont start. If I leave it and come back later it normally starts or call the RAC and by the time they arrive it will be fine.

Please Help

1993 Rover 216 Coupe (67,000 miles)

Have changed Rotor Arm, Distributor Cap, plugs and fuel filter where do I go next

#3 · (Edited)
New to the forums, new to rovers, I have a 98, 218 vvc 1.8 rover coupe with EXACTLY the same problem. At random it would be a bugger to start, almost draining the battery to get it to go.

You get in, key in ignition and click it round once, immobiliser off, electrics on, dash lights and systems engage and lights blink off as should. It’s at this point you think… will it, wont it…. So you turn the key and … ********! The starter motor turns good and strong but it just wont fire, now and then it just gives you a little teasing of hope and no… try again, the same for about 10 seconds. But the other day it just wouldn’t start at all.

Its almost as if there is no fuel in it, (yes there is before you ask *chuckels*) I read another post somewhere about waiting a few seconds for the fuel pressure to build up but, that does not see to have any effect. Once started though she purs like a kitten and drives nice and smooth.

A week before its NO starting I took it to the gates of hell (rover dealer) and had them run a health check on the 'puter and sensors. All was functional no problems.

So its down the garage been there for 3 days now and I am *****ing my pants at the prospect of the bill. I noticed that this thread did not get much interest but for the love of god… *gets down on his knees* Gurus. Dr Dave help a poor and orphaned child before I have to sell my body to pay the bill!

#5 ·
is it the honda engine
if it is it could be this fault
when you turn the ignition on after it wont start do you hear the little click as the engine check light goes out.
i had the same problem, i rang green flag twice and both times it started straight away when they were at the car.
if you dont hear the click its the brown boxed relay behind the centre console
its a common fault, the relay gets dry joints on the soldered pins.
you just need to run a soldering iron over them and it will be fine.

#6 ·
I would agree with the above, main relay, I have just resoldered mine. The relay is very easy to get to and comes apart no problem. If you use a magnifying glass and look at the circuit board you will see some dry joints where the solder has cracked. You only need to resolder these.

If this doesn't cure it then try replacing the ignition module in the distributor. No need to remove the distributor but some of the screws are very small and have screwlock on them.

#7 ·
Thanks for the speedy replies, I took my car from the garage, they had it 3 days and all they had done was change the leads and order a new battery... *grubles* couldnt find a problem becuse it started up for them.

As for a click..mm... I will try that out thank you very much. Talking of noises on start up, when you power up there is a sound like an electric window motor 'wurr' for a second... then you start the car. What the noise?

#8 ·
Smoocher said:
Thanks for the speedy replies, I took my car from the garage, they had it 3 days and all they had done was change the leads and order a new battery... *grubles* couldnt find a problem becuse it started up for them.

As for a click..mm... I will try that out thank you very much. Talking of noises on start up, when you power up there is a sound like an electric window motor 'wurr' for a second... then you start the car. What the noise?
thats the fuel pump

#11 ·
Intermittent starting - 216 coupe (honda)

I've had exactly the same problem, but it turned out to be a loose sensor wire in the engine bay (the lambda cable) i think. But i pushed all the other sensor cables in tightly and checked them anyway.

That was a year ago and i've had no problems at all and its ran like a dream since

its worth checking the cables as mine didnt seem loose or disconnected but playing around with them sorted the prob.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.