MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 45 TD Cold Starting and Revving Problems

6K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  dmbeale 
#1 ·
I have a 2000 X-Reg Rover 45 2-Litre TD and have problems starting when cold. It takes a while turning over on the starter. I have recently fitted a new fuel filter with new jubilee clips. Replaced the clips in the hoses to the turbo in case of any air leaks or bleeding but no difference. Once it finally starts I cant rev it at all above 1500 rpm until after about 30 secs or so and therefore if parked on any uphill gradient the car wont pull away and pratically stalls. Is it possible air getting into the fuel system maybe via the priming bulb or at the pump?? Even if the car is left to stand for a while and still a bit warm it has the same revving problems even if starts straight away... Worth changing glow plugs ?? any advice gratefully received.

Regards
Dave

#3 ·
Rover 45 TD Cold starting and revving problems

Hi Ben,
Yeah it does smoke a bit when turning over and a bit of a ploom when finally starts but not at all after that. Certainly feels like air is getting in somewhere as turbo also does not seem to boost up so well as before when i put foot down. Is the fuel priming bulb supposed to be solid at all times and only relase pressure when changing filter ??? "maf possibly".. sorry whats that ??
Thanks for info
Regards
Dave

sounds a bit crazy. could be glow plugs, maf possibly? Does it smoke when it does eventually start? could be your injector pump timing?

sorry I'm not any more help, I'm sure someone will come along who knows a bit more :broon:

cheers
Ben

#4 ·
check your hoses for a split.

the maf sensor is a common fault on the rover TD engines if you open the bonnet you will see it on the tube that runs from the air filter:

if you unplug it and take it for a spin see if it runs any better with it out.

#8 ·
I'd put a fiver on it not being the MAF sensor. It sounds like you could have air in the fuel system, or a blockage in it. Air leaks can be caused by the priming bulb leaking, one member (ETV) suggests wrapping it tightly in cling film to see if the problem gets better.

Also, there are leak off pipes connecting each injector to the one next to it, and these can perish over time and let air in. Other culprits are the fuel filter bleed screw being loose, fuel filter drain widget (plastic thing underneath) being loose, fuel filter pipe connections not secure, or fuel connections to the fuel pump not being secure.

The priming bulb goes soft normally, but a few pumps make it go hard, this is how the three L series Diesel cars I have owned have been.

My experience with the fuel pump timing being out is that the car is a pig to start, but as soon as it fires up, it drives perfectly, so I don't think it's due to that.

Tim

#9 ·
Rover 45 TD Cold starting and revving problems

Hi Tim,
Many thansk for all the info and tips.
I did unplug the MAF and it does seem a little better. However it still does not start as quick as I would like though but does rev straight away now. Whilst turning on the starter it does try to fire a few times. I will also try the "cling-film" trick and also check any fuel pipes for connections and any vacuum pipes for splits.
Keep you posted.
Best regards
Dave

I'd put a fiver on it not being the MAF sensor. It sounds like you could have air in the fuel system, or a blockage in it. Air leaks can be caused by the priming bulb leaking, one member (ETV) suggests wrapping it tightly in cling film to see if the problem gets better.

Also, there are leak off pipes connecting each injector to the one next to it, and these can perish over time and let air in. Other culprits are the fuel filter bleed screw being loose, fuel filter drain widget (plastic thing underneath) being loose, fuel filter pipe connections not secure, or fuel connections to the fuel pump not being secure.

The priming bulb goes soft normally, but a few pumps make it go hard, this is how the three L series Diesel cars I have owned have been.

My experience with the fuel pump timing being out is that the car is a pig to start, but as soon as it fires up, it drives perfectly, so I don't think it's due to that.

Tim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.