MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Throttle Cable Change - How To

56K views 65 replies 28 participants last post by  MrKitty 
#1 ·
After putting up with a sticky throttle for the last year I thought I would try fitting a new cable.

The cable was around the £40 mark and was part no. SBB000280

The symptom was no control over the throttle in the first 1/2" of pedal movement. You would lightly press the throttle, nothing, so you would increase pressure until all of a sudden the throttle would operate. This would give it an on/off kind of feel and make it a pig in traffic.

The only tools I needed for this was a 10mm socket to remove the accelerator pedal, a pair of snips to remove any cable ties and a small screwdriver to help refit the bulkhead grommet.

The job takes about an hour and doesn't need the inspection panel removed.

First you need to open the boot and remove the engine cover/grill to gain access to the throttle body. You also need to raise the rear of the roof and remove the carpet and sound proofing if you have it.

Start by removing the adjustable clip that holds the cable outer at the throttle body. This just simply pulls towards you with a bit of force. This allows enough movement to remove the cable end from the throttle body.

Now push the throttle quadrant open with your left hand and hold it there

and manipulate the cable out of its groove

So that the nipple can be slid out and the cable end pulled free

Remove the cable from the clip that holds it to the engine bracket, close to the expansion tank

and pull the cable free of any obstructions.

It is now ready to pull through the bulkhead

Pull the bulkhead grommet from its hole, I had to cut the grommet as I have used it to feed other cables through that point, but you will only need to pull it out.

Wind the square plastic adjuster clip so that it falls loose onto the cable. This will make it easier to manipulate through the bulkhead holes.

Now pull the cable through the bulkhead hole, manipulating the adjuster as needed.

You now need to push the drivers seat forward, remove the carpet from down the edge of the door, and unclip the cable from the 4 white bulkhead clips. One of which is right at the top

There may also be a cable tie at the top, next to the seatbelt coil, that needs to be undone or cut.

The next 2 clips are down the side of the door slam panel

and the final one is next to the tunnel that runs along the side of the seat.

See less See more
#2 ·
Push the drivers seat back again and release the white clip in front of the seat side tunnel

and the cable can be pulled through. It might be an idea to tape the pedal end of the new cable to the old cable

and pull it through the tunnel. I didn't, but I then had to use a piece of wire to pull it through later.

and remove the cable from the final clip before the cable goes up under the pedals

You also need to cut/undo the 2 cable ties shown in the pic above.

Now remove the 2 carpet clips and peel back the carpet and sound proofing and hold out of the way. One of the clips is up near the stearing collumn.

I now found it easier to remove the throttle pedal from the bulkhead as I am not as flexible as some on here.

There are 2 10mm nuts holding the bottom of the pedal bracket

and one bolt at the top, holding it to the rest of the pedals

Once these are removed, the pedal can be moved forward to get better access to the clip that needs to be removed.

The spring clip just pulls off and the cable end pulls up and away to release it

The plastic retaining collar then just pulls out from the bracket
as shown above.

The old cable is now clear to remove and discard.

Make sure that the new cable is routed as the old one was and that there are no kinks or tight beds.

Push the new cable through the pedal bracket until it clicks into place

and put the cable end in place

securing with the spring clip.

Now refit the pedal, carpet and clip the cable back into place in the 2 white clips forward or the tunnel.

#3 ·
feed the cable back through to the parcel shelf, refit the cable to the rear clips and refit the carpet beside the drivers seat.

Feed the cable through the bulkhead and fit the grommet. This is where the small screwdriver comes in handy, to push the grommet into place all the way around. Make sure it is securely seated as it will damage the cable if it comes out.

Fit the cable end into the throttle body as a reverse of removing it. Push the quadrant fully open, push the nipple into place, feed the cable into the groove and let go of the quadrant.

Refit the clip near the expansion bottle

and refit the adjuster.

You might have to remove the adjuster a few times and screw it backwards or forwards until you get the right tension on the cable. It shouldn't be too loose, but the quadrant should return fully against the stop when released.

I took Deepblue for a testdrive and it has transformed her. The throttle movement is smooth and there is no notchyness at all.

Job done. :bgrin:

If anyone has any tips, or a better way of doing things, then please feel free to add them.

#15 ·
Nice write up and great pics.

I found it easier to pull the old cable out from the engine end so as not to have to manipulate the adjuster through the holes. Then fed the new cable through from the engine bay.

Oh and I painted the throttle pedal bracket too.
I actually did think of painting it, as you can see some little rusty bits, but I needed it back on the road for going to work that night.

A job for another time me thinks.

#16 ·
Great guide, I could have done with it two weeks ago, when I re-fitted the airbox, I had access to the throttle bodies so thought I better replace the cable whilst I had access. Trying to undo the pedal box with the car stuck in the garage and unable to open the drivers door was a nightmare, thankgod no one was about with a camera!!!!!!!!!!!! ( had to adopt the "Kara position" legs in the air) Oooops I hope this doesn't stir up trouble

#21 ·
Braided wire for throttle cable

Excellent write up & thanks.

My daughters new to us tf has a similar poor throttle action.

My question is , does any body know of a supplier of a throttle cable with a braided centre wire as they never seem to go sticky, or rough.

I have had vws for years & as an example the r reg polo she is selling has a perfect throttle action and it is 13 years old and 125000 miles where as the tf is 4 years and sub 28000 miles, and very sticky.

#22 ·
My question is , does any body know of a supplier of a throttle cable with a braided centre wire as they never seem to go sticky, or rough.

I have had vws for years & as an example the r reg polo she is selling has a perfect throttle action and it is 13 years old and 125000 miles where as the tf is 4 years and sub 28000 miles, and very sticky.
From the photos it looks to me as if it is braided. Surely if it wasn't it wouldn't be flexible enough to go round corners?

#23 ·
:welcome:
its extremely unlikely you'll find a replacement cable of the right length (just remember how long it is !!) and ends, so a replacement OE one is really your only alternative. Its usually a kinked cable that gives the sticky feel rather than it just sticking in the sleeve, the sleeve is nylon lined so its fairly decent quality for an MGR part :lol:

#33 ·
Years back I did this on my wifes Renault 5.

I cheated by pulling the middle cable out from the "new" part & threading if through the "old" sleeve leaving it all in place. The whole job took about 10 mins ;) .

It's nice to see that you did a proper job, but I did wonder if the quick & dirty way may work & save a few folks a lot of time. :)

#34 ·
1) Surely the inner liner is just as likely to be the cause as the cable itself, so the problem might remain.
2) How do you get the new cable with end fittings attached through the old outer?

(ps good write up)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.