MG-Rover.org Forums banner

2.0 24V puff of blue smoke on start up

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Mgf120 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently serviced with new oil, plugs and filters.
Mobil 1 Oil used.
Greased Lightening oil additive.
BG44K also used.

Any suggestions why this has started to happen? Within the last week.

Could it be the BG44K, or Greased Lightening?

It didnt do this previously, but saying that, the last owner hadn't serviced it at all, I only discovered this when I came to servicing it myself, plugs oil and filters, blacker than a coal miners ar5e

Any tips please?

#2 ·
a possible cause is valve stem seal wear,that allows a dribble of oil down past the valve stem seals,especially after settling over night.i would not have thought a additive would cause it,might even prevent it happening,at least for a while.if the engine has been neglected,then new oil,with the cleaning additives in it,might have disturbed deposits that were previously 'sealing' parts of the engine.

#3 ·
Hi, thank you for your reply, I get your logic, it wasn't doing it after the oil change or when I added greased lightening.
Only after the fuel additive. I dunno, I'll see how the car gets on, I've put some more juice in it, see if that dilutes more of the additive/removes the smoke.

#4 ·
as long as its not excessive smoking,it may well right itself,but consider changing the oil and filter again within 500 mls or so,especially if you may have deposits circulating in the oil.if it occured only after using a fuel additive,again it might have disturbed deposits around the valve stems.run it for a bit,and see if it clears itself.

#5 ·
The actual blue smoke is just on start up, then maybe 1 gas pedal blip, then seems to disappear. I've stuck £20 of juice in it and I'll check again tomorrow as its in the morning after the car has been sat overnight. I'm a little reluctant to do the oil so soon as fully synthetic Mobil 1 isn't cheap, especially when you need 5.5litres of the stuff lol. The oil previously was like black tar, then again I didn't flush out the old oil, I just drained it completely, maybe this oil with the additive has, cleaned the engine and removed all of the gunk, which you have suggested and is now showing where the engine seal are worn.
I must say it does tend to drink fuel, too much of I'm honest.

#6 ·
it certainly sounds like valve stem seal wear,and will happen if the seals have hardened with heat,and old oil deposits gumming them up.tbh,if you intend keeping the car for a while,i would change the oil,and maybe more than once,using a flush agent also.if you have oil deposits circulating in the engine,it can block galleries etc.i lost a honda engined 216,with a sheared camshaft,through a gunked up engine,and previous owners lack of oil changes,like yours,was like tar coming out.personally,i would use a diesel engine oil,which is detergent,before reverting to whatever you want to use.

#7 ·
Hi thank you for that info, I had toyed with the idea of diesel as an oil flush, it's still doing it this morning, I fired it up, got the Mrs to blip the throttle and after about 5 mins, the blue had almost gone, more like blue grey white mist. I really like the car, but as I have 2 others as well, I don't know wether I can justify the repair bills....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.