MG-Rover.org Forums banner

How much to fix a head gasket ?

39K views 22 replies 16 participants last post by  S_to_the_J 
#1 ·
Hi
can anyone give me an idea of how much it will cost me for a garage to fix my car. Just checked my coolant and its brown and my oil is thick and nasty so im guessing my head gasket has gone. Im a bit on the skint side at the mo so want an idea of how much it might cost?

Thanks

#3 ·
£300 - £400 from an independent, £500 - £700 from a dealer.

If you handy with a spanner and have a weekend free you could try doing it yourself, there are a few threads about, trying looking in the How To section and think of the knowledge you'll gain. :)

There's one that goes into some detail on themgzr.co.uk.

#8 ·
For water pump and timing belt to be changed as well as the headgasket id budget anywhere between £400-500, and thats at an independent garage, but your right the water pump and timing belt should be changed at the same time.

Labour ought to be around the £200-250 mark, maybe a touch more. Parts ( Gaskets, Timing belt, water pump, tensioner ) around the £100 mark.

On top of that you might have to fork out for, for example, a new radiator as something will have gone ( often the water pump ) in order to cause the HGF.
Not necessarily head gaskets can just fail due to the original gaskets being cheap and poorly designed, id investigate further to see if there is a reason, but i wouldnt start replacing things unless i knew for definate

#5 ·
Labour ought to be around the £200-250 mark, maybe a touch more. Parts ( Gaskets, Timing belt, water pump, tensioner ) around the £100 mark.

On top of that you might have to fork out for, for example, a new radiator as something will have gone ( often the water pump ) in order to cause the HGF.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.