MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Tyres what to choose

1K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  Jonny H 
#1 ·
Right I need four tyres on my ZT CDTi and I want something mid-range / premium. My front are nearly at the markers and thanks to my alignment the rear inside edge is nearly bald.

I've had budgets on at around £80 a corner and didn't like, so last year had some Barum Bravuris 2 (Continental OEM apparently). I hated them as they are very nosey, very hard but handled like a I was driving a water-bed, and in the wet they turned into hedge fingers.

So the contenders are:

Kumho Ecsta KU39 at £111 per corner

Avon ZZ3 £125 per corner

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta £136 per corner

Open to other options if anyone has any other suggestions.

#2 ·
Right I need four tyres on my ZT CDTi and I want something mid-range / premium. My front are nearly at the markers and thanks to my alignment the rear inside edge is nearly bald.

I've had budgets on at around £80 a corner and didn't like, so last year had some Barum Bravuris 2 (Continental OEM apparently). I hated them as they are very nosey, very hard but handled like a I was driving a water-bed, and in the wet they turned into hedge fingers.

So the contenders are:

Kumho Ecsta KU39 at £111 per corner

Avon ZZ3 £125 per corner

Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta £136 per corner

Open to other options if anyone has any other suggestions.
I have the Avons mentioned on the front of my ZT at the moment, performed well in the wet but find them a little lacking in the dry but have not really tried to brake traction in the dry so for everyday use I would reccommend them - I will be putting the same on the rears at some point this year.

#8 ·
Have you considered the Falken FK452?

Got the Ultrac Sessanta's on the front atm and am very impressed BUT they are supposed to wear quick and TBH the FK452s were very nearly as good and a fair bit cheaper.

I've had KU31s (predecessor to the KU39s) followed by FK452s and found the Falkens slightly better

#9 ·
Have you considered the Falken FK452?
I've got Falkens on the front of my ZT (already fitted when I got the car) and they seem quite grippy not long lasting.

I'll be putting Avon ZZs on before long at £100 each. They've been good tyres on my Coupe, ZS and our current 45.

The bloke who said 'best avoid them' might be trotting out the old saying from before they went bust and were bought by Cooper Tires. They are excellent now.

#11 ·
Thanks for your comments.

Last night I got some part worn Bridgestones on, they didn't have four of the Pirelli P Zero that they said they had on the phone...when they looked all had 7mm on, but one was damaged on the side wall.

So they fitted Bridgestones instead, they like new and I mean like new, but only cost £240 for four fitted and balanced. just had a look and the best price on the web for the same tyre is £160 each!

Amazing place, must be 15-20 lads tuning cars around one after the other, after the other. Well worth the travel, pricing is simple all 18" are £40 for 4mm tread or £60 for 6mm+. http://www.topgeartyres.co.uk/

#15 ·
I dont have a zt but a zr and swear by avons i have them every time but i drive my car hard and they grip very well, good feedback, and gripy in the wet but they dont last all that long.
And i paid £96 for 215,40,17 a corner at local Tyre place and £75 with cash and no paper lol so should be able to get them cheaper then £120 odd

#16 ·
I'm sorted now thanks, but problem with the ZT is the profile. You can get 225 40 18 for a lots less 20%-£30% in some cases for the same tyre model, but the correct tyre 225 45 18 is a lot more as it's not that common.

Having said that the part worn place I want to had a few matching pairs in the connect size for £60 each.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.