MG-Rover.org Forums banner

MGF Feels like it floating at 70mph

5K views 24 replies 16 participants last post by  jrproudfoot 
#1 ·
Hi people i have a V reg MGF very proud of but on the motorway i go about 70mph and it feels like it floating is there any ideas what it could be or how to sort many thanks people.

Chris

#4 ·
+1 to Sam's advice.

The F is prone to feeling light at the front - it shouldn't necessarily wander about (this could be a problem with tracking or pressures), but it's not unusual to feel a little 'floaty'.

Either a K&H splitter or a trophy front spoiler will reduce lift and lightness at speed.

Jason :)

#8 ·
My guess is tyre make, mix and condition, pressures and geometry.
What make of tyres do you have, are they the same all round, is there uneven tread wear across the tread pattern and are all tyres at a similar state of wear?
Having checked all this and corrected any anomalies it is essential to have the tracking tested on a 4 wheel laser tracking station by a competant outlet with a known reputation, preferably used to the MGF/TF set up.
Most handling problems on these cars of ours are corrected by these procedures.

Hope this helps
Get some answers to these queries posted ASAP so that we can confirm advice before you kill tourself.

Mykul

#9 ·
Mine was the same, albeit at 80mph+.

Changed tyres for GSD2's all round because they were due, had tracking done for what it costs.
Tyre pressure always correct, full size spare in front.

Not much change to be honest.

A regular, knowledgable forum member once told me these cars are 'skittish at high speed', I've learnt to live with it.

Think I'm spoilt with the D3 and A6 I drive far more regular, and notice it more as a result.

Will probably try a front splitter, for what they cost.

Personally I think more people experience this problem than they care to admit.

Have you got a spoiler on the boot?

#10 ·
I'm still with kev re splitter. To an extent it depends on whether you mean it just literally 'floats' or whether it tries to steer itself off the road.

Mine still floats at 70mph and that's with 4 nearly new tyres of correct size, pressure, same make and recently tracked, but after a year I'm used to it.

Having said that, obviously the advice re tyres is still very good and relevant - just don't expect it to disappear even with new rubber.

I think coming to an F from any other car is very much a culture shock regarding 'feel'. Not sure who quoted it in a post long ago, could have been Kameleon but can't swear to it, "the F will never be a one finger steering job"

As Orkhis says, let us know so we can help further if we can - be safe out there!

Jason :)

#11 ·
Having asked the same question (plus others) a few days back I can happily report that getting my tyre pressure right did help alot. I'd overcooked my pressure on the fronts, putting in 33psi instead of the 26psi they are meant to be :oops:
I am also ordering a front splitter (Seat Leon one - thanks to those who mentioned it!)

#17 ·
I don't think it will ever feel as plated at the front as a front engined car, but this can be lessened with good choice of tyres and keeping the vehicle in top condition.

Remember that a lot of these cars are 10+ years old and there will be wear on Track Rod Ends, bearings, joints etc etc. All this will add to a vague and floaty feel.

Have you had it in to a garage to check out all of the joints/bearings etc?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.