MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Cooling fan doesn't stop

2K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  steph30 
#1 ·
Hi gents,

Since the last very cooled period in France I have a problem with my cooling fans.

Symptom:
- when I switch on ignition (when instrumental panel in on) and when air conditioning ventilation is at least set to speed 1, then cooling fans are running at low speed. When I switch off the ignition then the cooling fans stop
- when I switch on ignition (when instrumental panel in on) and when air conditioning ventilation is off, then cooling fans are not running at all

I am a bit lost, I don't understand how the air conditioning ventilation can affect the cooling fans.

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Stéphane

#2 ·
Hi gents,

Since the last very cooled period in France I have a problem with my cooling fans.

Symptom:
- when I switch on ignition (when instrumental panel in on) and when air conditioning ventilation is at least set to speed 1, then cooling fans are running at low speed. When I switch off the ignition then the cooling fans stop
- when I switch on ignition (when instrumental panel in on) and when air conditioning ventilation is off, then cooling fans are not running at all

I am a bit lost, I don't understand how the air conditioning ventilation can affect the cooling fans.

Any idea how to troubleshoot?

Thanks

Stéphane
They always run:bazza: with the aircon on

#4 ·
The secondary cooling fan will run if the aircon is on and the car is stationary or at low speed.

The main cooling fan will run if the ECU is getting an incorrect signal or no signal from the coolant tempreture sensor, there are 2, 1 just reads tempreture and the other is for switching the fan but I am not sure which is which.

Anyway, the fan will run if there is a problem with the sensor.

Can you get the computer read with T4 or OBD2?

#8 ·
I just receive the new spare sensor I will try it.
But after a check, I saw that air con is running everytime even if selected off (manual mode on mk2).
Maybe the compressor clutch remains engaged whatever is the air con mode.

How can I check it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.