MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Car wont start after taking out battery

8K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  Angeemo 
#1 ·
We have two rovers, 414 / 416. We took battery out of each to try in other cars. After putting the battery back in the Rovers the cars will not start at all. When the key is turned a small click coms from engine, but nothing else at all. The car will start however it its bumped started. Any ideas? I'm a total newbie

Thanks.

#4 ·
Greg said:
Sounds like the battery needs a charge. Give it an overnight charge and see how it is tomorrow.

BTW: Love the thread title - "Car won't start after taking out battery" well of course it won't, it's got no battery ;) :lol:
LOL.....i fell a right plonker now haha.

Would the car still start with a bump start though? if I didnt put the security code in?

Also we have tried a new battery and nothing, just dead when key is turned, apart from small click coming from a silver type box in engine.

Thanks

#7 ·
I have the fob, which is workin fine.

So the car was working fine...took out the battery...put it back in..car won't turn at all. But will start with a bump or hill start. We did try the security code from the owners manual..still nothing. What should I be looking at next? Its strange how its happened to both cars..exactly same problem after taking out battery and replacing it.

#10 · (Edited)
I am pretty sure that it's simply a case of reconnecting the battery and it should work. Do other electrical systems work, lights, wipers etc.
Have you had a look at the starter motors? Once my mates car would not start and he was just getting a click yet the car would jump start and it turned out to be a fualty starter motor. Yet it seems strange this could happen on both cars.
It may also be worth checking that you have a good earth, you will need a multimeter, select DC volts (you may have to adjust the range) and connect one probe to the positive teminal + of the battery and the other probe to any earth point on the engine/chasis and you should get around 12.5 V give or take depending on the condition of the battery (engine off).

#12 ·
The first day i got my 214 i took it to Sheffield (to watch football). It had started fine all day. Came out after the game, went to start the car and there was nothing. I tried the key turning thing in the lock cos i thought it might have been the immobiliser. Bump started it and got home. Had a look next day to find the wire had come off the starter motor, the spade connector was really loose

#13 ·
It may sound obvious but the battery connections need to be tight. the following assumes that the battery is in a charged state and known to be in good order.

The main things that cause this problem are

1. loose or broken earth cable between battery and engine and or battery and body.

2. loose or broken cable between battery positive and starter solenoid (or corroded connection at solenoid or battery end)

3. Ignition switch wire loose, broken or disconnected from back of starter solenoid

4. faulty starter motor (jammed solenoid or seized motor)

5. Blown fuse faulty relay (don't think there are any that would effect the starter on a 414 or 416 though)

Good luck

G
#15 ·
Removing and reconnecting the earth lead (as you do when removing the battery) WILL cause the immobiliser to arm. You then need to feed in the Emergency Key Access code (via drivers door lock) or lock/unlock with the fob.

Subsequent failure to turn over could indiacte either a ) wrong EKA codre or b ) low battery vharge.

#20 ·
Richard Moss said:
Removing and reconnecting the earth lead (as you do when removing the battery) WILL cause the immobiliser to arm. You then need to feed in the Emergency Key Access code (via drivers door lock) or lock/unlock with the fob.

Subsequent failure to turn over could indiacte either a ) wrong EKA codre or b ) low battery vharge.
Doesnt happen on my 200 when I disconnect the battery. Just use the fob like I always have.

However on my 416 Honda Engined BEAST [:lol:] to which I have No Fob, when the battery is disconnected I have to enter the EKA code.

Craig

#21 ·
help please

My car was stood for a few weeks and battery went flat. I have charged battery while on the car so have not removed anything. Now the car is turning over but will not start can anybody help please.
1. I am female
2. I cannot afford a mechanic
The immobilizer light seems to be working as normal just nothing catching when turning over there was a little phut at start thought it had started but nothing since

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.