MG-Rover.org Forums banner

Rover 214 Key Fob Help Please!!!!! :)

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  pinhead 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

For my first car i've bought a 1994 Rover 214 SLI and it think it's absolutley brilliant :D

My problem is that i think the car has remote central locking since a key fob came with the keys and there is the infa red reciever near the ceiling light in the car.

The fob itself appears to be broken, there is nothing covering where the two buttons should be and instead i can see iniside it. I was thinking this is maybe where the batteries go?
Anyways ive been looking around the internet for new key fobs and how i'd go about reprogramming them and every where i've looked seems to talk about ones made by "Lucas" the only thing written on mine is "Valeo"? If i get one of these lucas ones will i be able to make it work with my car?

I'm very much a noob when it comes to cars and this sorta stuff, im 17 and only passed my test last thursday lol

#2 ·
if the remote is duff you will need a replacement one and have to get it reprogramed. like my self ive just bought a rover 214 cabby with the same problem and had to pay a mobile spraky to come out and supply me with a new fob and programme it as my imobilizer wouldnt turn off without the fob which cost me 95 quid. owch :mad:( you can buy a service kit for your fob which includes a new battery.black plastic case.rubber buttons and new mirco switches.this may cure yours.if not its a new fob and reprogramme im afraid.

#5 ·
how are the infa red ones sorted when they go wrong dr dave? :mad:) i take it there the best type? probabarly are knowing my luck lol.i had mine reprogrammed yesterday and i asked the guy what happens if the battery goes flat or has to be taken off n he said it may lose the code.if so how do you retrieve it back? the fob i got aint the same as the normal one.the only way i can describe the shape is like the shape of a eye lol :mad:)

#6 ·
imobiliser problem

hi,i have just had the cylinder head gasket done on my 2002 rover 45 when the machanic tried to start the car once this job was done he couldn't he told me the battery wasnt disconnected so we tried the key access code but had no joy (never had any problems with the imobiliser before)has any one got a clue about this?

#10 ·
Thanks for all your help guys :)

Um well im not really in a position to lash out £70-£90 on a new one since im at college and have a part time job at the co op lol so as you can guess i never have much money XD

I seem to be able to find alot of cheapish ones on ebay, do you reckon i could get one of these to work? It just confuses me that i seem to have the only fob that doesnt have Lucas on it?

#11 ·
The Valeo infra red fobs aren't that uncommon. The missus car has them, or rather had them. The good news is that if the fob dies you can still use the key in the door, it'll disarm the immobilser anyway.

Get a rebuild kit for your fob if it works.(The case won't fit but the buttons and batteries should do). They have to be pointed inside the car, at the interior light, in order for them to work.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.