Passenger footwell water leak - MG-Rover.org Forums

Go Back   MG-Rover.org Forums > Model Specific Forums > Rover 600

Old 23-08-2010, 20:16   #1
rob00158

Car: Rover 600
Passenger footwell water leak

Hi guys,

My first post

If anyone hasn't solved their water leak problem yet - read on as this may work for you.....

My Rover 600 had a wet passenger footwell carpet due to the heavy summer rain recently! I removed the scuttle panel to check the drain hole was clear which it was.

I had a friend pour water down the drain channel while I watched inside the car.
Turns out the water was leaking in and around the large rubber grommet/pipe that passes through the inner wing from the inside of the car. Its difficult to see as it's tucked behind the wiring loom, to the side of the heater box. Check there while your checking the other common areas where these old ladies leak, must be a common thing?!

Rob.
rob00158 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 23-08-2010, 20:35   #2
MGJohn
Supporter

Car: MG Montego Turbo; 620ti x3; MGZS; MGF and MG ZT 1.8t x2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00158 View Post
Hi guys,

My first post

If anyone hasn't solved their water leak problem yet - read on as this may work for you.....

My Rover 600 had a wet passenger footwell carpet due to the heavy summer rain recently! I removed the scuttle panel to check the drain hole was clear which it was.

I had a friend pour water down the drain channel while I watched inside the car.
Turns out the water was leaking in and around the large rubber grommet/pipe that passes through the inner wing from the inside of the car. Its difficult to see as it's tucked behind the wiring loom, to the side of the heater box. Check there while your checking the other common areas where these old ladies leak, must be a common thing?!

Rob.
Hi and

... an excellent first posting ~ thanks ~ useful advice.

B>>M>>W ....

Arrrrrggghhhhh......... ......
MGJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-08-2010, 05:59   #3
xDGTx

Car: Other Manufacturer
How thats for coincedence....was just sorting the very same problem yesterday...pulled the carpet back in the passenger footwell to trace the water backwards and noticed the water coming in behind the wiring loom as you said...but then the heavens opened again..so will try again this morning....

PS...welcome aboard..

Dave.
xDGTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-08-2010, 19:00   #4
vitaly

Car: Rover 600 ti
Yep, it happened to me but in winter, just then i bought the car........
if i fiind some pictures post then
vitaly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-08-2010, 07:29   #5
xDGTx

Car: Other Manufacturer
Had another quick look this morning and the water seems to be dripping in just behind, and in direct line of the lefthand side of the blower motor housing....needless to say that I can't see any further up than that, so will have to get the scuttle off again for a proper look....Damn fustrating though....

Also, if the scuttle is not "tight" against the windscreen, would the water that gets behind it go straight into the footwell???

Dave...
xDGTx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-08-2010, 20:33   #6
rob00158

Absolute disaster, after the heavy rain today I have a passenger foot well full of water.

On the plus side I have 100% located where the water is coming in from. Laying on my back looking up behind the heater box, right in the corner where the windscreen meets the scuttle panel, the water is pouring through a seam. I haven't worked out how its running in through there but it is entering the cockpit from there at an alarming rate.

Has anyone else found water coming in from a seam up there?

Old 26-08-2010, 05:58   #7
rov618i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob00158 View Post
Absolute disaster, after the heavy rain today I have a passenger foot well full of water.

On the plus side I have 100% located where the water is coming in from. Laying on my back looking up behind the heater box, right in the corner where the windscreen meets the scuttle panel, the water is pouring through a seam. I haven't worked out how its running in through there but it is entering the cockpit from there at an alarming rate.

Has anyone else found water coming in from a seam up there?

Hi
I replied to a water in the boot posting before...and identified the likely culprit...the roof rubbers, in the two chanels that run across the roof from rear screen to front, clip 'under' the rubber/frame of both front and rear screens.....thus providing a perfct chanel for water to flow, I actually saw 2 beads of water stream down inside my rear screen, around the high brake light, under that into the boot. Silicon sealant stopped that malarkey... could be worth you peeling back the rubbers in the roof channel, putting a temp stopper in there like blu tack, and observing again??
rov618i is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 26-08-2010, 06:49   #8
rob00158

Thanks, will have a good look tonight. I left a bath towl in the foot well last night and it was saturated by 7am this morning. I can actually see it running in through a seam on the bulkhead somewhere.

Interestingly enough, while it's parked facing downhill at work, no water comes in at all!

Old 27-08-2010, 07:10   #9
rob00158

Update:
Removed the passenger wheel inner arch again last night and the scuttle panel. I gently poured water down the drain in the scttle panel and the water runs through in side the car. I've noticed the drain from the scuttle panel runs through some box section in the inner wing and out through the rubber flap between the inner and outer wing. However the water doesn't make it out of the flap, it seems to run through the box section and drain from various holes/seams etc. I don't know why but the drain from the scuttle panel isn't sealed, it has a large gap aroud it inside the box ssection?!

In an effort to stop the water running into the box section I have lined the drain with a tractor tyre inner tube and sealed it around the edges with silicone. Now all the water that enters the scuttle panel runs out the drain instead of through the box section and into the car.

Hopefully this is the end of the water leak - fingers crossed.

Old 27-08-2010, 07:38   #10
MGJohn
Supporter

Keep us posted on the outcome of your sealing efforts. Pictures speak a thousand words...

I have noticed that it is only a few of the 600s which appear to suffer from these leaks, none of mine ever have. A friends 600 we never identified the cause of the water in the passenger footwell. Both that car and their R25 parked alongside on their tree lined drive had close on an amazing bucket full of Birch leaves accumulated under the bonnet of the R25 ( which was watertight ) and under the scuttle of the 600. Amazing how those leaves lodge there come autumn. They have an ornamental Birch and other trees in their garden. There were more leaves under the R25's bonnet than the R600's scuttle. R25 leaves dry, 600's damp....

Removal of those leaves helped the 600 but was not a complete cure. Considering how those leaves can get tucked away in unseen places maybe others were lodged elsewhere and still causing blocked or slow drainage.

The sun has just appeared this morning locally after about 40 hours of continuous heavy rain.

In the words of the late, great Terry Thomas....What an absolute shower ...

B>>M>>W ....

Old 27-08-2010, 19:06   #11
rob00158

Thanks MG....It was pretty bad last night eh!

Well, after a damn good water with the watering can this evening (had to give the silicone time to go off since last night) I appear to have cured the leak or I guess come up with a suitable work around.

I had total tunnel vison to complete the job last night I forgot to take photos but am more than happy to expain to anyone in detail if required.

Now I just have to dry the carpet out and get rid of that god awful damp smell.

Old 07-09-2010, 06:41   #12
rob00158

Just to confirm - this has fixed the problem. After yesterdays/last nights prolonged rain all is dry in the Rover. No more steamy windows or smelly wet carpet

Old 09-09-2010, 12:12   #13
tomz

Car: Rover 600 SDi
This is exactly what happened to me this spring and this is exactly the same way I fixed this problem. Flexible pipe through the passage and silicon around the edges, water cannot escape sideways into god knows where now. Should be fine, I haven`t had any problems since then. But I know the misery of trying to dry the floor lining and carpet, with me water had spread far behind front seat, the level reaching an inch under the mats. Pretty horrible it was. Looks like a common thing on the 600s though. I think everyone who loves his 600 should do this pipe trick, it really pays.
tomz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-09-2010, 12:52   #14
MGJohn
Supporter

Well done folks.

Those that have this problem with their 600 may not know where exactly to look for their leaks and how to rectify. If anyone can post up a picture of the location and their sealant cure, that would be most helpful to those less familiar with the workings inside their cars.

B>>M>>W ....